Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: TRIO #1 Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1  

I am a fan of thought balloons also. I recall an issue of the FF where Galactus is on his ship alone thinking about his purpose in the universe and is visited by Death. I can't imagine conveying that kind of emotion any other way.

••

Your imagination needs a tune up, then, Wilson. Unless there's another scene with Galactus and Death, other than the one I wrote (FF 257). There's only ONE thought balloon in that entire sequence, on the splash. The rest is played as a spoken monolog.

(Truth to tell, looking back with the clarity of hindsight, I wish I had not used a thought balloon on the first page, either. The actual THOUGHTS of Galactus should not be accessible to we mere mortals!)

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mine just entered the building!

I am so pumped to read it!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

I just checked the issue.  You are right.  All these years, I remembered that classic scene with thought balloons.  (I am not even going to say how many times I have read that story.)

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB:  "I've been very impressed with Ronda's work, and have told her so!"

I really like what Ronda Pattison has done with the look of TRIO and NEXT MEN.  Two very different titles, yet she is able to capture the different tones of the books.  Good to see a colorist who can shift gears right along with JB.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Darren A:  " All we need now is thought balloons."

••

JB:  "They're coming. IDW and I have to find a style we can agree upon."

Thought balloons!  Very cool - full tilt comic book fun!  I was happy to get sound effects and caption boxes, but I'm really looking forward to climbing into the heads of these characters through thought balloons.

I failed to mention earlier how much I agree with all the comments praising the choice of paper stock.  I love the feel of this and the look is excellent.  It truly feels like a comic book along with the story. 

Shawn Kincade
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I made it to the comics shop today and bought my copy of Trio # 1 and the variant cover (I usually don't buy multiple copies of any book, but I liked both covers -- I mean, Joe Sinnott; who passes that up?).

The story pulls the reader in, teases at backstory, throws out future mysteries, and best of all for any comic these days . . . made me want to pick up the next issue.  And by the end of the issue, I realized how much had happened, how the story actually moved.

The art was great.  I really enjoyed the finished product and thought the inks, paper, and coloring combined better than any recent comic I've picked up in quite a while.  (That probably sounds like an odd compliment, but I hope you know what I mean.)

Trio look, read, and felt like a comic book.  Out of the entire stack of books I bought today -- I felt as if I received my money's worth on Trio.  That's the highest praise I can give!  Nice work, JB. 

Edited by Shawn Kincade on 12 May 2012 at 7:29pm

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 7  

This issue was a joy to read with its mixture silver/bronze age Marvel and modern sensibilities. The writing, for me, seemed to evoke 70's era Steve Gerber, Steve Englehart, which is a positive in my book, yet the art has a "modern" feel to it.     

Random Thoughts:

I liked the diversity amongst the main characters and I'm hoping that more of their background is revealed in upcoming issues.  (Not much to say here that won't spoil it for people that haven't read the book).

Nautilus' scenes set off a number of triggers in my mind - the obvious one being early Silver Age Sub-Mariner and a more subtle one in the scene of Triton emerging from the water during the Kree-Skrull War.  This mental musing has me see aspects of Namor, Triton and Black Bolt in Nautilus in both the visuals and what has been revealed story-wise. 

Amongst those thoughts came the panel that made me smile the most, which was the crowd with their smart phones drawn filming the scene.  I wonder how many of them survive to upload their footage to Youtube?  JB captured this phenomenon well.  The media and technology seem to be another theme JB is exploring within the book. 

To wrap things up, I have to say I love the texture of the cover and also the way it stood out on the shelf of the LCS.

Edited by Rod Collins on 13 May 2012 at 3:45am

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

read it quickly last night, but, passed out from exhaustion before I could post...

the artwork was delicious, I know that!!

The world they inhabit seems perfectly attuned to my comic reading sensibilities.

Will be reading it again tonight for sure!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Merritt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Great read.  Haven't read a traditional super hero comic like that in a long time!  Only complaint I had was Rock's coloring.  His modern style texture really stood out in sharp contrast to the more traditional colors and paper.  Didn't like that.  I bet the pencils look amazing though!

Looking forward to the next issue.

Tshombe K. Hamilton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 10  

JB question on Scissors. Are his blades sharper to infinitity so they actually move between molecules? I know that you posed that theory about Logan's claws at one time.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I looked around and couldn't find an answer--

Are there other super heroes in this world? Has JB answered that question?

I can't find it if he has... 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12  

Are there other super heroes in this world?

••

Wait and see!

(I'm actually planning a reveal for the 5th issue that should explode some heads.)

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version