Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: Not just for grown-ups! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

At the risk of sounding like a red shirt, I'm kind of offended by the idea that someone who hates superheroes feels the need to write comics about them just to make money. 

There are plenty of people working in comics independently or on creator-owned material that ISN'T about superheroes, simply because they want to tell stories and use the medium of comics to tell them. There are plenty of people who have worked on superhero comics but also have worked on creator owned material, and who have put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining their own brands and ideas outside of mainstream superheroes at the Big Two. 

If someone finds superheroes so distasteful, why don't they just write their own comics that AREN'T about superheroes? Image, IDW, Dynamite, Boom!, heck, even DC with Vertigo, all have creator-owned properties as part of their lines. Archaia puts out the amazing Mouse Guard by David Petersen; Fantagraphics publishes books by everyone from the Hernandez brothers to Joe Sacco, Alison Bechdel, Will Eisner. When they first started, Eastman and Laird put out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on their own. Jeff Smith worked on Bone, Dave Sim on Cerebus, Art Spiegelman on whatever he wanted, including Maus, a book that won the Pulitzer Prize. 

There are plenty of people who love the medium of comics and who work within it, building themselves a body of work and a following over many years and decades, all while barely touching on superheroes, if they work on superheroes at all. 

What "trapped" because "that's where the money is" really means is, the person doesn't want to put the effort into building a career, they'd rather just take a paycheck and bitch about how bad they have it. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

You're describing the Comics Code. As one who worked under it for a good part of his career, I can say getting rid of it was far from the best idea this industry ever had. There may have been much grumbling about the code from lazyass prima donnas, but it forced us to THINK, to be CLEVER. And in a good way.
+++
That is why I agree with the wise adagio "never give the audience what they think they want" (or something like that). I can clearly and vividly remember that Daredevil 231 (if I am not mistaken) that was not "approved" by the Comics Code Authority and we (the fanboys) were celebrating the fact that we have "won" the fight against the "evil" censors. Man we were soooo wrong... :(
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marco, this brings up the proverb "Be careful of what you wish for..."

I remember feeling similarly about it myself.  What changed my mind is basically what most of us have already pointed out here on this forum.  Looking back, I can now say things like "But was it really necessary to do something like that there?"

I can probably say that most of us would say "No" these days.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Looking back, I can now say things like "But was it really necessary to do something like that there?"

I can probably say that most of us would say "No" these days.

+++

Completely agree with you Carmen. Comics just took a bad road back then and it is getting worse.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version