Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Meeting deadlines = more skill? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's like just about everyone involved in the process has lowered the bar.

••

If as part of the "process" you include purchasing and reading, then most certainly. I grieve for the intelligence of fans, when I see so many of them cheerfully accepting later, thinner, and more expensive books.

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

The fact that a thread like this is even neccesary shows how far the industry has fallen and makes me very sad.

The way many those people creating comics don't seem to have the discipline and sense of responsibility to do their JOBS is, maybe, related to how much of the grandeur and wonder and heroism has gone out of the characters and stories. At least the connection seems to make sense theoretically.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

One of the things that depresses me is that when I talk about working to hit my deadlines (harder with each passing year) and making sure the projects I work on ship on time and are the best work of which I am capable, there are some -- even "fellow professionals" -- who will accuse me of "bragging" and "tooting (my) own horn" --- when what I'm really doing is talking about DOING MY JOB.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's a shame you get any grief at all for that, JB... when the current batch of artists claim they're "growing roses" and "creating 'real' art" (as opposed to the old pros' work) shouldn't that be considered the height of egotism and arrogance?

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Good points raised for the above.  Whatever happened to telling the story in a way that you know the reader would understand?  That would be the ideal job.

The best way to keep it, is to get the best work you can done, and done on time...

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB, can you clarify for me please...re "...working to hit my deadlines (harder with each passing year)," do you mean that it is harder for you to hit your deadlines as time goes on or that you work physically work harder, i.e. putting more into the work?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version