Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: ROM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

ROM was one of my progression comics.  I started reading Marvel comics because of Star Wars and Star Trek.  I started reading ROM, because it had SPACE in the title.  I started reading the X-Men because they guest-starred in ROM 17 and 18.  I bought Contest of Champions because the X-Men were in it.  I started reading the Avengers and Fantastic Four because they were in Contest of Champions and then it really exploded.

I stuck with ROM until the end, and it was always good quality comic enjoyment.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

I didin't even know ROM started out as a toy before today.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

That toy was... okay. It flashed red light and made noises, which was about all I needed in 1980. I think ROM is still at my mom's house. He no longer works and a dog has chewed his feet.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

"He no longer works and a dog has chewed his feet."

Rom's my brother-in-law?!?!?

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well hopefully one day marvel can reprint ROM. Or that marvel will licence their trademarks in ROM and IDW or someone can print it.  Same for Micronauts.  It would be wonderful to see this art with better color separations. 

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Loved Rom covers by Micheal Golden. Rom 12 with the Jack of Hearts
was probably one of my all time favorites and probably still is.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

I had ROM when I was a kid. He teamed with the Six Million Dollar Man against Maskatron and Bigfoot.

I started buying it right from issue one. I loved about the first half of the run.... the idea of the Dire Wraiths infiltrating Earth was brilliant... great comic book-y fun! The two best things for my were:

2. Sal Buscema's artwork. As a kid, I usually found him kind of boring. But I LOVED him on this... easily my favorite work of his.

1. My favorite thing.... in fact beyond ROM, me absolute favorite thing about comics then, and still in my top 3 to this day... the Michael Golden covers on #8-12. wow.... #'s 8 and 12 are easily my top grail pieces ever. Hell, I'd pay for a high res scan of them!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

My memories of Rom always have this specific flavor of an oddball series, same as DC's Suicide Squad. I remember reading it over and over and never being quite sure if I enjoyed it.

If memory serves me well I believe it was published on the X-Men Digest here in Brazil. Flavio?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Loved ROM, and always ached for that Parker Brothers action figure!

If done right, I also think ROM: SPACEKNIGHT would make a fantastic film, animated or otherwise.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

Valmor, I got into ROM when he debuted in RGE's Almanaque Premiere
Marvel. THAT was an oddball anthology title!

Later, when Abril (different publisher, more consistent) got the rights to
ALL the Marvel heroes, ROM was a constant back-up in the HULK
anthology.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

My paternal step-Grandmother worked at a convenience store and would pick up a pile of the current comics whenever we were going to see her and my Grandfather.  My first exposure to a lot of titles and characters was thanks to her. 

As you can probably guess, one of those titles was ROM.  My first issue was #43, where ROM was in a clone of his human form and Quasimodo was using ROM's spaceknight body.  Then I got #45, part one of a two parter with the Soviet Super Soldiers.  The one issue I remember buying when the series was coming out was #46, which I spotted in a gas station two-pack sometime after I had received #45.  I wanted the conclusion of the story. :-)  It took several years for me to find out how ROM got back in his body in time for the beginning of #45. 

I got #50, the impact of which was totally lost on me since I didn't know who any of these West Virginia characters were.  (I remember getting it after I'd been given a copy of OHOTMU #14, so I knew poor Torpedo wasn't going to be lasting too long after he showed up in the issue.)  Then annual #3 with the New Mutants (with two covers!) and #61 with the Beginning of the End and that was about it for me.   

I liked the series well enough, and the back-ups in #50 made me want to see what I had misssed, but funds were limited and it didn't make the cut.

Eventually, I ended up getting the whole run.  Nicely mysterious opening issue.  I was pretty surprised that the Dire Wraiths I was most familiar with (the sorcerous ones with the barbed tongues) didn't even show up until the late #40s.  I liked that the series was close ended.  As much fun as it is to follow characters for years and years, there's nothing wrong with a series with an honest beginning, middle and end.  (Frankly, I wish more cancelled books would put similar thought into their final issues.) 

Every once in awhile there would be a bit of cringe inducing dialogue (if I see someone say "Greatest of the Spaceknights" one more time...), but overall this is just a solid enjoyable series.  Maybe not on my personal top 10, but if I ever started divesting myself of my comics it would be a long while before I got rid of this one.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Joe: Well hopefully one day marvel can reprint ROM. Or that marvel will licence their trademarks in ROM and IDW or someone can print it.

---

I'd buy that! Not sure if the stories hold up(?), but (as I said above) I like the power of Sal's art...

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version