Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: ROM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

EVERY toy line from the late 70's-80's(well, almost every) has had some sort of crappy re-release, from Buck Rogers to Micronauts. If the Rom rights weren't in crap limbo, you know there'd be a new toy.

and it would be awesome.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 20 March 2012 at 11:01pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

ROM!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's Marvel or nothing on the Rom reprints.  G.I. Joe, Transformers and Conan only had rare and incidental contact with the Marvel Universe, so it's easy enough to reprint those with very minor alterations.  Rom interacted with pretty much every major Marvel character, and I'd bet not a year went by without a major guest appearance.

I'd love to see three Essential Rom collections on my bookshelf, though.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 4  

How does IDW pull this off? Honestly, I don't know how it works--

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Has IDW reprinted this issue...?

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 6  

It's easy, Nathan. The powers that be at Marvel  wanted to make the deal with IDW. It's not like there's THAT much red tape involved. It just took Marvel wanting to make these books...just not by themselves. They are a very limited print run- probably much too limited for Marvel to waste their resources on. But it must be fine for IDW. Especially when they do the limited signed editions of the Romita book, and the Thor edition with the actual original Simonson commissions on the cover.

I've heard the DC comics are not willing to do the same, so for now it's Marvel and assorted indy stuff...

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 7  

So a ROM trade wouldn't work because of the larger tpb print run? 

...I mean, if IDW could get the ROM rights as well...?

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 8  

Well, the Rom trade also wouldn't work for IDW because it's a big Marvel Universe book. Marvel is only letting IDW do the special projects art books.

Any printing by IDW of former Marvel books like GI Joe have nothing to do with Marvel. IDW is licensing those books from Hasbro, not Marvel.

But any thought about Marvel reprinting Rom is pointless if Hasbro can't even sell usage rights to Marvel.

To this day, Marvel has shown very little interest in reprinting any of it's toy tie-in books. Or, if they have shown interest, it's hasn't resulted in anything. No Shogun Warriors, no Micronauts, No Rom. Only Godzilla has been printed as an Essential due to a deal with Toho.

So there is very little evidence that Marvel cares no matter who owns Rom.

Which stinks, as Bill Mantlo could use the royalty checks (if he would even get any from working on toy-licensed books).

Now, if Hasbro could actually sell the Rom license for new non-Marvel comics, the problem would be determining what characters (other than ROM) Hasbro could license. You'd more than likely end up with a whole new Rom that no one would care about (much like any new version of Micronauts). I'm not even 100% sure if the Dire Wraths are linked to Marvel or Hasbro... I think Marvel owns them.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 9  

I think Marvel owns the Dire Wraiths as they have appeared since the demise of ROM.

Any other company reprinting ROM I think woulod be impossible as it really did become the second Marvel Team-Up comic as he travelled through the Marvel universe.

It really is crazy. This and the Marvel Micronauts. At least micronauts had a good Baxter reprint in the '80's of the Mike Golden issues. Rom, I think is worse than the Micronauts though in that the toy was short lived, wasn't succesful and as a toy, probably holds little nostalgia so probably won't be produced ever again. Marvel really should have just bought the rights when the toy collapsed within its first year of publication.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 10  

Re to Nathan about TF #3;

Yes, IDW was given permission from Marvel to reprint issue #3 in this latest round of G1 reprints called "Transformers Classics", unlike the last editions they put out, which included omitting issue #9 as well.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11  

James: Re to Nathan about TF #3;

Yes, IDW was given permission from Marvel to reprint issue #3 in this latest round of G1 reprints called "Transformers Classics", unlike the last editions they put out, which included omitting issue #9 as well.

---

So I suppose there is a SMALL chance IDW could reprint ROM... but the deck is stacked against it (reading the other posts on the subject).

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 12  

Publishing and reprint rights are a tricky business when it comes to licensed characters. Marvel itself can't even reprint issues where Red Sonja guest starred, the publishing rights having reverted back to the original owners and now being published by Dynamite.  That's why her appearance in MARVEL TEAM-UP by Claramont and Byrne is always omitted in collections published by Marvel. 

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version