Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: ROM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

Exactly Nathan.  I wonder if that's why this thread is 8 pages long.  We are able to remember him fondly, instead of having had to sit through seeing him and his character betrayed over the years.
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

Interesting, Neil...

I really never thought of that before. I think you're totally right.

The character of ROM is a "pure" connection to my childhood. Neat!

Can't say that about many other comic characters -- they've all been pissed on over the years.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

I like comparing this thread to the Shazam wake thread. I want this one to kick it's ass.

Thankfully, Nathan seems to have some free time lately.... :)

I think at some point you have to develop the ability to let go of this notion of "betrayal" when a creation gets steered in a direction you disagree with. We have a hard time letting go, but the emotions you get... even claiming it makes you feel betrayed... it's best to learn to shrug it off and move on. 

Better to get mad at cancer, or feline AIDS.

Easy for me to say, I'm currently all bent out of shape because the new Captain Action Captain America head/mask sculpt sucks big time, and I pre-ordered the dang thing because the digital prototype looked good...
AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!

Shrug it off, Dave... move on...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nathan (or Nathan's friend): Take away the dialog and you have no idea what is happening"

That doesn't seem accurate -- unless I'm mistaken, ROM has got the drop on some other space-knight type character who is surprising ROM with some new information -- hence ROM lowers his weapon. Can you fill in the rest? What did Ditko fail to get across which Sal would have nailed?

Probably that example is not the best. I mean, if ROM had eyebrows and facial expression, we still wouldn't know who the other guy is or what he was saying-- it is, after all, a pretty dialogue-heavy sequence.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think Rom officially has a cult following!

I want ROM vs. THE ARMY of DARKNESS!

Who's with me?!?!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hey Mark,

I'll ask my buddy to send me the unaltered panels tomorrow.

I didn't read the Ditko issues (although I do have the one with the JB inks) -- but from what I've seen, Ditko's ROM feels dead to me. Sal's is much more dynamic and alive. 

I'll ask for the panels and post tomorrow (or tonight if he's still up and sends them).

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged | 7  

At the time I felt Ditko was a big departure from the dynamic art of Sal (two artist and a fill in issue over 75 issues - incredible by today's standards).

His figures semed less dynamic and more posed which I felt was ironic when you consider he co-created Spider-Man, possibly one of the most dynamic posed characters ever created / drawn.

I think the stories also took somewhat of a nosedive as well at the time. It was almost like the big story had been told and we were going through the motions until the end. A bit like much of the fifth season of Babylon 5.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 8  

I also first read ROM in the pages of Marvel UK's 'Forces In Combat' which might as well have included Devil Dinosaur as to how relevant/misleading that title was (and someone should start a thread on Marvel UK and their oft-baffling decisions) and then followed him to the imported US Marvel comics, and read the whole run I think. I also didn't care for Ditko's work at first, as Sal had done such an excellent job, but looking at them now there's some great stuff there.

Never saw the toy in any UK shops though.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks for the answer, Dave.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 10  

Yes... Ditko on Rom was like the last season of Gilmore Girls.

There... Rom & Gilmore Girls in one sentence.
and no problem, Brian!

BTW, to anyone looking to start a Rom collection: These are not pricey comics. Keep an eye out on eBay or at conventions, and you should be able to get these books in great shape for $1 or less a book.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 11  

BTW, to anyone looking to start a Rom collection: These are not pricey comics. Keep an eye out on eBay or at conventions, and you should be able to get these books in great shape for $1 or less a book.
............................................................ .....
yes.  I just bought a number of them at a comic shop, most were $1, I did pay $4 for #75 and $3.50 for #17 with the X-Men co-starring.  Most are $1, all are in very good condition.  If you dig through the .25 bins, I'm sure you could pick up a lot of them.

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mmmmm...there has been almost 8,000 views on this topic.  Isn't that more than the print runs on some of Marvel's current comic books?  If Marvel pays attention or cares, maybe there is a ROM comic book in the future(?)

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version