Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Bug Off! - 03.03.12 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 1  

John, do you have a library of skyscrapers and other architecture you use for reference for these city scenes, or have you simply gotten that good at drafting different building facades over the years?

••

Yes.

Ouch, I'll take the hit for that poorly phrased question - it was late, and I was tired. Resubmit question: JB, do you have a library of architectural styles you regularly refer to? Your cityscapes are an endless source of inspiration.

Cheers,

Mal

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I have a substantial library of "city books". Photo books and architecture books. But I find I refer to them less and less. Very often, I will flip thru a book once or twice, and "internalize" the key elements. Then I build my cityscapes from what's in my head.

I return to the books when I need something specific, like a real building, or a real time period.

Ivan Black
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Awesome! All the characters are spot on as always! This time though, what impressed me the most is the depth and sense of space you've managed to achieve in the little bits that are left for background. Many artists I believe would just leave that empty or draw a couple of the closest buildings. Here, we get the sense of a whole city. Incredible. I could never ever pull this off if I lived to practice for a 1000 years. Hats off! 

I'm also impressed that you can memorize such details. This reminds me of a guy who was flown over London in a helicopter. In three weeks' time he drew huge parts of the city in minute and accurate detail from memory alone. I wish I had more of a photographic memory - I always need reference, which is annoying...

So seeing pieces such as this is very inspiring.

Edited by Ivan Black on 05 March 2012 at 8:39am

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4  

wow, they don't make comic covers like this anymore!

Love the horizontal lines of the figures.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

I wish I had more of a photographic memory - I always need reference, which is annoying...

••

Photo reference can be really handy, but it can also be a trap. I know really good artists -- artists much, much better than me -- who sometimes seem unable to draw anything at all without having some kind of reference in front of them.

This is why I limit myself to reference only on specific things. Like, if I draw Spider-Man swinging over Manhattan, I will use the "generic Manhattan" I have built in my head. But in the issue of AFTERMATH currently on my board, there is a panorama of the New York skyline from a particular time period. For that I used reference.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

Would there be limits on the number of specific landmarks in a commission?  Hey, I'd really like Cap'n Fonebone to be flying past the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the Baxter Building and the Flat Iron building.  I know height and relative location could play a factor as well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

Three of those are trademarked buildings even Marvel and DC have gotten their wrists slapped for using, Ryan.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

No kidding?  I had no idea.  Good to know.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wonderful piece.  Never a big CHAMPIONS fan, but a cover like that would certainly grab my attention.  Love Swarm.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2012 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Wait, you can trademark a building so that someone who draws what everyone else sees with their eyes can't be drawn without permission?

That's incredible.

I understand that they have been designed, and if I really thought about it this only makes sense that you can do that but how is drawing a building in a comic any different from including a building in a pan shot of New York?

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Trademarks prohibits using the trademarked item in ads or on the covers, anything that's used to promote the product. Does not cover what is in between the covers of the comic.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanks for the clarification. Still think it's weird - the buildings turn up in adverts for films.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version