Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Steve Ditko’s Alpha Flight (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 1  

Yep!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 2  

"But when I started dissecting the old Byrne issues and breaking them down to analyze and rebuild, I realized something strange. The characters were pretty lame."

••

Did he figure that out all by himself, or did he read one of my interviews? I've been saying this for DECADES!!

+++

"When you look at characters like Captain America or Superman, their iconography, their core concept is so strong that you can create a Fighting American, A US Agent, a Supreme, a Superior, or whatever and fans can still relate to it. How do you relate to Puck?? His novelty exists solely in his originality."

••

Perish the thought!!

He makes a good point, of course. This is why X-Men is such a dud concept, no legs. Who can relate to any of those characters? Next thing, you'll be telling me people might actually like a character based on spiders! Icky!!

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Did he figure that out all by himself, or did he read one of my interviews? I've been saying this for DECADES!!

You are both wrong. And people say I don't disagree with you.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4  

The big problem with Alpha Flight (aside from that lame name!!) is the one I have mentioned many times before: aside from Guardian, they were originally created to be able to survive a battle with the X-Men. So there's a big strong guy to counter Colossus, and a magic guy (as originally conceived limited to weather magic) to counter Storm, and a shape-changer to take on Wolverine, and a couple of speedsters to work against Nightcrawler's teleportation.

When I sat down to flesh them out in order to give them their own book, I came up hard against just how two-dimensional they were. That ALPHA FLIGHT remains among my most popular work with so many loyal fans indicates I must have done something right, even if it was after the fact!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Count me as a huge fan of the characters.  I liked their appearance in X-MEN, but their own title really brought these characters alive to me.  JB's run fleshed the out in the characters in subtle ways, while still incorporating the grandiosity of comic book stories.  It's a tricky balance, but I think you sustained it over the whole run, JB.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

The first 28 issues of Alpha are among my all-time favorite comics. No one has been able to capture that magic for me and I've given every incarnation of Alpha a shot. You definitely did something right for me, JB!

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

That’s Dubya on the left!! What the ...?

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB wrote:
"...I came up hard against just how two-dimensional they were."

Most comicbook characters start off that way but the thing is, with AF you succeeded in making them more than a facade and you made us care about them like real people because you did a great job. Own it!

JB repeat after us: "Alpha Flight is awesome!"

Dana Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm guessing Wolverine was pretty two-dimensional too when he was first created to go up against the Hulk.

Dana

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 10  

I like Project Rooftop and I like those Alpha Flight designs, though they're not BETTER than JB's. I like the idea of people redesigning costumes. It's fun even if they redesign isn't more awesome than the original.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 11  

and I think Jay Stephens is awesome. He's a fantastic cartoonist. If you don't know who he is you're missing out, regardless of whether you agree with his Alpha Flight comments or not...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fritz Short
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 12  

I think ALPHA FLIGHTs fan success is probably because they were created to match the X-men,in chatacter and content.Alot of great battles are teams of existing villans banding together to fight the FF or the Avengers or whomever.There are likly alot of one-off groups of villians( ) created to start on a balanced scale with the heros,but ALPHA FLIGHT worked,and started as a team.And creater continuity is a big factor,a scale tipper. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version