Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: SOPA Bill (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1  

"Yes, piracy must be fought. But legislation should be targeted and observe due process"
+++++++

Due process is key to me. I don't want Eric Holder or whoever is the AG in the future to decide the fate of the internet. To have the power to arbitrarily shut down site in the name of "anti-piracy" really is no better than China. I give it 6 month before one side or the other would use it to shut down a political site.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Z Cannan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

Due Process is key to me too.  

Plus, this is obviously an MPAA/RIAA bill.  I would rather have "everybody" get together an reach an agreement on what needs to be done.  Like they did with fair use in educational institutions back in the 76 copyright legislation.  Yes, I am that naive.

Edited by John Z Cannan on 18 January 2012 at 12:27pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Deuser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Mozilla(Firefox)'s Chairwoman Mitchell Baker creates an analogy and summarizes many aspects of the proposed bills:

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/01/17/pipasopa-and-why-y ou-should-care

One part of this legislation that interests me is the proposed technical enforcement:
As I understand it, the mechanism to block 'bad' sites will be solely through DNS, so you won't be able to find www.badwebsite.com, but you'll STILL be able to type in the IP address of that website!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

Another very important point that as proposed, SOPA breaks the DNSSEC protocol that's been gaining ground to prevent malicious hijacking of DNS results: LINK

As somebody that works in IT, that alone is enough for me to be against it....not to mention the entire lack of due process, of course.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 18 January 2012 at 2:19pm

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Capital Hill HAS MORE IMPORTANT BILLS to consider than deal with THIS!

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I am constantly appalled at the way copyright and anti-piracy legislation gets framed (not just in the US) to serve the needs of large intellectual property corporations rather than creators and innovators.

There is a need for copyrights. Businesses need copyrights so they can secure their ability to recoup investments and profit fairly.

But morally, the extended copyright protections have been founded on the need to reward and encourage creative individuals. Those people who through their genius create useful, popular and life-enriching products, and who need to be rewarded in a fashion that enables them to continue to create and develop new things. Because these people create jobs for sometimes a handful, sometimes millions of people.

Yet while these people get used as examples every time pleas are made for copyright extensions, corporations lobby for and "help" write legislation that either disregards or undermines creative individuals.

Ironically, there are cases (such as the Popeye copyright) where the US, due to its corporate bias, grants work-for-hire product a longer copyright than creator owned work. (Segar's Popeye is Public Domain in Europe, under copyright in the US until 2025 (with the last entering PD in 2034). )

One would think that if the laws were written to encourage creative individuals, creator owned work would enjoy lengthier extensions than work-for-hire products.

Not to mention the "Orphan Works" legislation that was designed so broadly as to make anything but corporately owned copyrights virtually impossible to protect.

Politicians need to start taking the views and concerns of creators into account when writing copyright and anti-piracy legislation.

Brad Wilders
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

Knut, I don't follow your logic.  Copyright is as much an incentive for works created under work for hire as it is for creator owned works.  A creator under work for hire is incentivized by his employment, which is incentivized by the ability of the company to secure a copyright

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Knut, I don't follow your logic.  Copyright is as much an incentive for works created under work for hire as it is for creator owned works. "

It is not, however, an incentive aimed at the creator of the work. It is not an incentive to new creation. It is an incentive to continued and highly protective production of the already created product, to the point that one might actually seek to outcompete new, improved products.

Of course everyone wants to own something valuable for all time. That is not in dispute.

However, copyright for a specific creation is weighed against the need for innovation and the creation of new works that can be beneficial in their fields. Sometimes that innovation incorporates elements or ideas used before. After a certain point, a copyright can impede the creation of new, possibly superior things.

This is in part why patents for drugs etc. have a far shorter expiry date than copyrights for books.

Work-for-hire creations are of course due protections. However, the incentive for creators under work-for-hire is primarily the paycheck, rarely residuals or later payments based on sales, unless those are offset by less money paif up front. It is a one off thing. If it takes them a year to create something and another 4 to clear a profit sufficient to justify the investment in the first place, then a copyright extended beyond 5 years is not an incentive to the creator. It is an incentive for the company to continue making copies of the old product.

It is profit to the corporation, yes. Which allows them to do further things. Not all of them innovative. However, with creator owned properties, the creator is incentivized further by all new profit.

I am not suggesting that work-for-hire creations should necessarily be less protected than creator owned properties. I do, however, consider it ass backwards that they receive greater protections.

Karim Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Aside from the concerns about the potential for abuse and the potential security problems they could create, SOPA/PIPA, if implemented, wouldn't do much to actually stop piracy. Just because a site is blocked in the US doesn't mean that site isn't still easily accessible. It seems like all SOPA/PIPA would do is create a lot of potential problems while only slightly inconveniencing people who want (illegally) free stuff.

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

The danger in it all, especially coming from the low common denominator thinking of so many politicians and corporations, is that the bill, if passed works for the privileged.

No it is not right to abuse copyrights, but the truth behind the matter as I see it, the bill is just to maximize a powerful tool for the sole benefit the few.

So many things good things came from and can come out of communication(s) on the Internet.  If I voice my displeasure for a "brand" on the internet, my voice should not be stifled.

My voice, opinion and thoughts are worth far more than any amount of money that can ever be thrown my way. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

They're saying it likely won't be passed, anyway. One of the key sponsors of the bill has already changed his mind and turned against it and a few other members of Congress have also said they won't vote to pass it.

I think a bill like this would be a wonderful idea under certain circumstances, but this bill is too broad and the wording so vague it could easily be abused and be used to censor rather than to protect. And any law the RIAA supports, I'm automatically against. Because lets face it, the RIAA cares about the record companies, NOT the actual artists.

As they said on CNN, right now Youtube is alerted when copyrighted material is posted and they comply by removing it. Under this bill, they could be outright shut down with no warning whatsoever for having it posted on their site.

Jon Tremmeh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

Khan Academy.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version