Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Top Ten strongest DC & Marvel Heroes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think it comes down to how the characters are written. Its usually a bad idea to compare two characters from different comics. And its almost always a bad idea to define exactly how strong any of them are.

If you are the writer of, say, Fantastic Four, then Ben Grimm should be the strongest in your comic, even though the Hulk does exist within the same universe. You don't want to diminish your own character. That's why cross-overs usually work out so poorly; someone always ends up looking like a chump. The obvious exceptions have been those classic confrontations between the Thing and the Hulk, because even though the Hulk was shown to be stronger, Ben was not diminished as a character. He was smarter or a better fighter. Also, Hulk was the antagonist, essentially the bad guy, and the bad guy is allowed to be stronger than the hero.

But if I had to make a list, this is what it would look like:

1) The Hulk ("Hulk strongest one there is; all you other losers can suck it!")
2) Superman/Superboy
3)Hyperion (Marvel's Superman)
4)Captain Marvel (Shazam!)
5)Gladiator (Basically a Superman-clone, but he got beat by insecurity, so down the list he goes)
6)Supergirl (Sixth?! Girls never get any respect...)
7)Mon-El
8)Duplicate Boy
9)Dev-Em (When he's a hero, he's Kryptonian, and as a villain, he's a Daxamite; basically, no difference)
10)Laurel Gand (Tenth?! Really????)

If you look closely at my list, you'll notice there are actually only two on it: The Hulk and Superman. Everyone else is either a Superman duplicate or duplicates his powers. But that's just how I see it. As I said, it comes down to the writing. It really doesn't matter who is physically stronger; the hero overcomes. But my hero can beat up your hero.

So now are we doing the villains?

Edited by Michael Tortorice on 09 January 2012 at 7:02pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Back in Spider-Man Annual #16 (I think), there was a comparative showing of the various Marvel characters' strength levels. The only ones listed in the top "Super-Heavyweights" class were the Hulk, Thor, Hercules, and Wonder Man. Iron Man was also pictured, saying that under the right conditions, he could operate at that level for about two seconds.

And while I disagree with the general perception that Captain Marvel is simply a "Superman duplicate," Michael's list makes a good point. At DC, there are Kryptonians, Daxamites, and perhaps a few members of the New Gods who play in the big leagues. Wonder Woman, as a requisite of living in a shared universe, MUST I suppose be AS strong as Superman, or everyone at DC is a damnable misogynist or something or other, but while Herculean strength has always been an element of her character, it's never been the primary focus, at least not in the same manner Superman's has been in his feature. Wonder Woman was more about being equal to any challenge or opponent thrown at her, usually by being more clever, skilled, or spirited than her rivals. This often involved using great strength, but she wasn't the type who routinely capped volcanoes with icebergs or hefted the Queen Elizabeth across the ocean in mere seconds the way Kryptonians often did. (Cue Google image search: "Wonder Woman," "Iceberg") Unfortunately, in a shared universe, no one's history or powers is about who they are or have been, it must always be about how they stack up against everyone else... sigh... Therefore, she's up there as well.

The Earth-2 Superman, while shown to be capable of amazing feats back in the day (surviving A-Bomb explosions, for instance) is usually said in 70's & 80's comics to be notably less strong than his Earth-1 counterpart. This holds true for Power Girl as well I believe.

Characters who are simply moustache-versions of the originals don't rate in the big leagues in my estimation. There is inevitably some flaw in their make-up that takes them out too easily, be it a lack of understanding of their own psycho-kinetic nature or what have you. I would not categorize Hyperion in the same class with Superman. Maybe Bizarro, but not Superman...

Beings such as the Celestials, Galactus, and the Spectre transcend such discussions as their physical forms are apparently transient manifestations of some greater energy that defines them. What we see is not necessarily all that there is of them.

A list of Super Heavyweight Villains would, I fear, break down into a list of "mash-up" type characters such as the Super-Adaptoid, Amazo, and Composite Superman, along with characters who've gone "toe to toe" with the Big Boys and come out the other side as full of bluster and braggadocio as they went in, such as Doomsday, Kalibak, Juggernaut, and Ulik. Almost anyone whose gone up against Thor or the Hulk is a potential Super Heavyweight, and that's likely how it should be. The good guys are always outnumbered... :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Didn't Stan Lee once say that Thor and Hulk were equals? (Who wrote
the Defender series were the two were locked in a hold from which
neither could move the other; or something like that?)

The problem, as pointed in my list, is there are multiple Supermans
and they are separate characters, some so strong that they can pull
multiple planets are the same time. Others are in the Hulk range and
others are weaker.

But even though as a kid I argued for the Hulk; I don't think Stan and
Kirby created Hulk to be "stronger than 60s Superman". They were
creating a different kind of world and a straight comparison doesn't
work.

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Just because the madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets does not mean he is stronger than Superman.  There is a limit to how mad someone can get for instance.  Superman has been shown to do feats of strength that Hulk has never done.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, that tagline is really boring. How mad can he actually get?

Infinitely mad? I don't think there IS such a thing...

Superman (especially the Silver age version) IS stronger by far...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think if you do a Hulk Superman comparison it can be a little complicated.

Someone earlier said that they disqualified the Hulk by using the Stan and Jack template, but if the original creator's version of the Hulk is to be used then so should Siegel and Shuster's original Superman. The original Superman was no where near as strong as any version of the Hulk including Stan and Jack's.

If you use the "classic" most recognized by comics fans versions (not civilians) I think the Hulk wins out (only in strength) over Superman. I'm counting Superman as the version that has been around since JB's Man of steel and of course in the time since has gone back up nearly his silver-age levels. (He hasn't moved planets)

If you want to use the Silver age Superman to compare then That Superman wins easily, but that Superman had quite a few silly/out there stories and the main conceit of the character's adventures was that he could pull out any super-ability ever imagined if the story required him to. Ex: he suddenly developed "Super-balance" in one the Deny O'Neil classic  Superman/Flash races. 

The silver age Superman tales were wildly inconsistent wherein one story has Superman moving planets, and another has a captain Marvel/Black Adam/Ultraman level foe fight him to a stand still or to a defeat. Those stories were so inconsistent because they were written for children and an audience that would move on after a few years so 2 stories 6 years apart depicting Superman as either a GOD or someone quite capable of being defeated, were not supposed to be compared to each other.

I think the Superman of the modern age (man of Steel up to today) is the one that should be used for comparison and that Superman I would put at just a hair under The Hulk in strength. ( The Hulk's Strength increases with rage and has no upper limit.)

(I'm not even going to get into comparing Silver age Superman to World War Hulk, but those two versions of the characters both have some impossible to grasp feats of strength)

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 10 January 2012 at 12:33pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, using the weakest version of the Hulk (during the still developing Marvel universe of Stan and Jack) while using the out-there Silver Age Superman isn't fair. 

It's hard for US to grasp becoming "that angry" but the Hulk's mentality is much different from out own. It's a combination of a 5 year old child and and animal (the classic "Hulk Smash!" version of course). Plus it's not just the emotion of anger that gives the Hulk vast strength, it's basically anything that spikes his adrenaline levels. 

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

The initial post left it up to everyone to decide the parameters of Top
Ten (current, of all time, classic versions, etc.) so we get into a
predicament of competing standards. It put my list based upon "of all
different versions/times". But it's not the only way.

Of course what makes matters more confusing is you can't even make
this list for current versions, because we don't yet know how strong
NuSuperman and the rest of the NuDCU is.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

Infinitely mad? I don't think there IS such a thing...

Why not? There's no such thing as a Gamma-spawned behemoth that truns green and is strong, either. Or guys that can move planets, for that matter.

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

I always Thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be strong than Hercules, so therefor she's strong than Captain Marvel since he has the strength of Hercules. Although, I wish DC would find a way to put Captain Marvel & Martian Man-hunter equal to Superman's strength level.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

1. Silver Age Superman
  2. Earth II Superman ( at least in the JLA/JSA Crossovers)
  3. Mon-El
  4. Hulk
  5. Thor
  6. Captain Marvel ( DC)
  7. Supergirl
  8. Power Girl
  9. Wonder Woman
  10. Martian Manunter
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 12