Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man Poll: Ditko or Romita & Why (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

Didn't Ditko leave because he didn't think the Green Goblin should be someone Peter Parker knew in his civilian life? That's what I heard anyway.
Back to Top profile | search

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ben, I've always been under the impression that that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. There had been tensions building for sometime between Ditko and Stan.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ben, that's the legend, but that doesn't gibe with behind the scenes reports that Stan and Steve had barely spoken in the year or so prior to his departure from the book and that Stan scripted straight from the art rather than having plot conferences beforehand from since before the time Ditko got the "Plotted and Drawn" credit in the mid 20s.  (In case you ever wondered why the Master Planner's men said that they worked for the Cat in ASM #30, among other "glitches.")

In an article he wrote for a fanzine called The Comics, Ditko himself denied it, pointing to some things he had Norman do in his last couple of issues as evidence.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd love to read that, Dave. If Ditko himself denies it, then that's the final word as far as I'm concerned. Ditko may be an unusual guy, but one of the things that makes him so is that he tells the truth no matter what.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ditko. Spider-Man is fantasy and Romita doesn't pull it off quite as well.

Then there are those crazy Spidey body and finger contortions, the imaginary half-Spidey face, the spider-sense tingling lines, the water towers, the innovative super-villain designs. Romita's Green Goblin is not nearly as menacing as Ditko's. Ditko's Kraven and Mysterio are fascinating to look at. Romita's Mysterio merely puts the same costume artifacts on Mysterio's costume, Ditko made those artifacts coherent.

I believe Ditko put so much of his personal, inner vision into the character and its universe, that anyone else is an also-ran. Poverty, for example, is a recurring theme, especially in the Aunt May depictions. I believe Ditko had some life experiences with that there and it showed through in the way Peter was constantly struhhling to make ends meet.

The same thing could be said of Dr. Strange. Most of the artists that immediately followed Ditko on Dr. Strange delivered beautiful work: it just wasn't Dr. Strange, it was just a well-drawn character that happened to dress like Dr. Strange.

That being said, Romita's Peter Parker was very cool. Much cooler than Ditko's. But the book is about Spider-Man, not Spider-Parker.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

Romita Sr.  When I think of Spider-man it's Romita's work that comes to mind.  Even more so, his depiction of Peter.   It's my preference, but that's the Spider-man I first encountered and has always been my bench mark.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Horn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

1. Steve Ditko

Edited by Steve Horn on 06 January 2012 at 11:53pm

Mark McMurray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 8  

I have an incredible love for both their art styles, but in this case, Ditko rules!

Re: The questions and statements of Ditko's involvement in the co-creation of Spider-Man and speculation why he left (according to what Ditko has written, the "Green Goblin identity reveal" had nothing to do with it) check Robin Snyder's "the Comics".

Until Steve Ditko and Robin Snyder collect these in an upcoming volume of thePackage series, these back issues of The Comics are what you need:

The Comics Vol. 12, No. 5 (May 2001) launches the series with “A Mini-History: Some Background”, which functions as an introduction; “A Mini-History” was composed of “1. The Green Goblin” (Vol. 12, No. 7, July 2001); “2. Amazing Fantasy #15″ (Vol. 12, No. 10, October 2001); “3. The Amazing Spider-Man #1″ (Vol. 12, No. 11, November 2001); “2. The Amazing Spider-Man #2″ (Vol. 13, No. 1, January 2002); “5. The Amazing Spider-Man #3″(Vol. 13, No. 4, April 2002); “6. Spider-Man/Spider-girl” (Vol. 13, No. 5, May 2002); “7. The Amazing Spider-Man #4″ (Vol. 13, No. 8, August 2002); “8. Others, Outsiders (OOs): Complainers and Complaints Against Betty Brant” (Vol. 14, No. 2, February 2003); “9. The OOs and Aunt May” (Vol. 14, No. 4, April 2003); “10. The OOs and JJJ” (Vol. 14, No. 5, May 2003); “11. Further Complaints and Influences of the OOs” (Vol. 14, No. 6, June 2003); “12. Guest Stars: Heroes and Villains” (Vol. 14, No. 7, July 2003); “13. Speculation” (Vol. 14, No. 8, August 2003); and “14. The Mistrial” (Vol. 14, No. 9, September 2003); “Wind-up” (Vol. 14, No. 11, November 2003).

In this masterwork, Ditko lucidly spells out his every memory of these years, comics and core issues, based on “a rough record of my early involvement with” the characters the Ditkowrote for himself back in 1966 (“Some Background,” The Comics, V. 12, N. 5, May 2001, pg. 35). Ditko winds up with a pretty (justifiably) caustic assessment of fandom’s role in all this — what should have been done, what was left undone, and the myths that spun as a result of both action and inaction. It’s the most direct imaginable communication from Ditko himself, and a final accounting for anyone who cares…”

Ditko's essay's are interesting and very informative, illustrating his point of view and explaining some of his decision making process while working on the earliest issues of Spider-Man. I wish they were more readily available to the public. Order info HERE.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

Makes me wonder what Spider-man would have grown into had Ditko not left.  You can clearly see how Ditko was slowly turning Spider-man into an adult, especially in the last 10 or so issues.  Romita seemed to just accelerate that process to it's ultimate end with respect to Spider-man's physique. 

FWIW, I like both Ditko and Romita's work equally.  Both men added to the Spider-man 'language' in ways that everyone else either pays homage to or unconsciously swipes.

The Ditko Spider-man Omnibus has been a real treat for me to see his work in a larger size.  I can't wait for the (first?) Romita Omnibus.

Someone earlier in the thread remarked about how the 1960's cartoon was 'their' Spider-man.  Romita served as an art consultant for the show, though how involved he was in this process remains up for debate.  The show used his Vulture redesign but other scenes are near perfect swipes of Ditko panels.  I've been meaning to catalogue with screen grabs these scenes at some point when I get some free time. 

Peter David's Spider-man Vault book has a Spider-man model test sheet for the show showing some really strange costume modifications.  I'm 100% sure Romita had a hand in nixing those designs and going with an easier-to-animate costume that was true to the original Ditko design.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 07 January 2012 at 9:34pm

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 10  

I was never familiar with John Romita Sr because of my late coming into the books (Ross Andru was on ASM then).  Thus, in retrospect, I prefer Ditko because of his role at the beginning.  There seems to be a bit of a jarring transformation in how Spidey was portrayed between the two, that made the character seem "different" somehow.

Each of them left their mark on the character, but I liked Ditko's portrayal of the young Peter Parker as the class nerd, acquiring super-powers that he first uses rather selfishly before discovering the heavy burden of responsibilities that those powers gave to him.  Sort of like Batman, but without the premeditation given to a life of crimefighting until after he is affected in a direct way (Uncle Ben being shot dead by the burglar whose crime in progress he refused to assist in stopping earlier).

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 11  

I like both, but Steve Ditko is Spider-Man to me. One of my first back issue comics I ever bought was a battered copy of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 for $10 back in 1982 or so. I love that book, the story, art and extras are all just perfect and Ditko is the main reason why for me. Just the perfect Spider-Man artist. 

JB does a great Ditkoish Spider-Man in my book. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Romita. I read the Ditko issues AFTER the Romita ones and somehow his Spider-Man seemed "off". I especially like how Romita handled the rest of the cast. JJJ, MJ, Gwen, May, Flash, Robbie and even Peter are the Romita versions in my head. I also think he is a better artist in general.
I can appreciate what Ditko did now more than in the past, though. Especially the weird/fantastic elements he brought to the table.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version