Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man Poll: Ditko or Romita & Why (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 1  

Romita.

I started reading Spider-Man in the early 80ies. Then I read some classic Lee/Romita tales, and I went - "WOW, this amazing!". Romita's art just works perfectly for me.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Sullivan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 2  

Has to be Mr. Romita for me.
He is the classic Spidey artist in my book.

Cheers, Peter

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 3  

Ditko

As many Spider-Man stories were done by Ditko, I feel a sting of loss that he would've/could've done more if something hadn't happened.

The Ditko Spider-Man stories feel 100% more authentic to me -- like the Hal Foster "Valiant" stories. Everyone else is John Cullen Murphey; excellent, but not quite as real. I love Romita, and Kane w/ Romita. But to me they feel like they're chasing Ditko.

Part of that is the way the supporting cast changed after Ditko-- many changes help Ditko's work stand apart.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 4  

I hate it when this comes up, because I'm so torn by the question!

Ditko is an artistic genius, and is the originator of Spider-Man's world and most of its main characters. Other artists have been trying to capture that look and feel for decades, because there's never been anything else close to it. I LOVE Ditko's run.

But, I also LOVE Romita's stuff. While it's less appropriate to the inherent weirdness of the character, Romita drew what I consider the definitive versions of several characters (Parker, Jameson, Mary Jane, the Green Goblin, etc.). Is that style less quirky, and more romantic and superhero-y? Sure. But it looks beautiful.

I also really like the Kane-inked-by-Romita issues, which is essentially a nice cross-section of Ditko and Romita.

Still, when I think of Spider-Man's supporting cast (the best in comics, IMO), this always comes to mind:

FOR SALE Romita sr Double page Marvel edt Spécial N°1,  1975 ON EBAY Comic Art

And, while Ditko's the absolute master of Spider-Man's bizarre poses and acrobatics, I think Romita's clean, beautiful line gave us the most cosmetically perfect version of the costume, ever. I love that mask, with the suggestion of a "nose" and "mouth" in the weblines. I also love his versions of the chest and back spider emblems.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 05 January 2012 at 11:44am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ditko.

Because of the villains.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've got to go with Ditko as much as I love John Romita's Spider-Man. I read alot of the classic stories in Marvel Tales reprints as a kid and I fell in love with Ditko. Up to that point my Spider-Man was Keith Pollard's version based on my brother's comics.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 05 January 2012 at 12:15pm

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Gil Kane, inked by Romita Sr.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

I believe the age issue weights a lot in here. I got in touch with Ditko's line years after starting to read comics, so like another poster already mentioned, my definitive Spider-Man would be the JRJr one.

Romita Sr. would come later, when a special title just for Spider-Man 70's reprints would show up here.

But I still haven't read most of Ditko's stories with the character, so I guess I'll have to wait to get a better opinion about the man's work.
Back to Top profile | search | www

William Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Romita followed by his son.  Ditko only makes my top ten list because he was there at the beginning and not from any affection for his style.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mr DITKO.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

Romita.  I'm easily drawn in by more "pretty" art.  Plus, as a child of the late 70s, I saw a lot of Marvel character merchandise based on Romita drawings or imitations thereof.  

I just reread Ditko's Spider-Man in the Essential volumes and really came to respect him as a storyteller and especially a costume/look designer.  Really, almost every single villain costume he did on that run was a classic.  You don't hit a dud until towards the end with, like, The Looter.  And that's not a bad costume, just a bit dull compared to the earlier ones.  My gut instinct is still Romita but my respect for Ditko has surged recently, and it was already pretty high.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

Romita, though I happily concede that his was the Spider-Man I was first exposed to and I'm therefore completely incapable of being objective on this subject.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version