The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Homage or Copy (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Nothing at all like that THOR cover. (Perhaps the poster was being "funny"?)"
-----
No, my comment was sincere. The pose of OMAC in the Giffen cover struck me as very close to the pose of Thor in the Kirby cover. Same angle, same position, even a very similar costume. Look at the position of the feet, for example, or the boots.

I'm not saying this is a direct inspiration, I just thing the Thor cover is closer to Giffen's illustration than the FF or Superman covers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

I also thought you were kidding, Ray. I didn't understand you were comparing the images of Thor and Omac! 
Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

About Frankenstein, I've always argued the Monster would take the name and go by that name. So when toy companies and so on called the Monster "Frankenstein", I liked that better.

The pretentious Mary Shelley purists muddy the waters by insisting the creature not be called Frankenstein. Which is silly. For one thing, the Monster has only one "father" and not even a mother, so the identity is wrapped up with the father. Unless the Monster calls itself Mr. Lightning or something. For another, Frankenstein is one of the great names in literature ever. Why wouldn't you call Frankenstein Frankenstein and be done with it. FRANKENSTEIN VS THE WOLF MAN isn't about a cage match between Peter Cushing and Robert Weston Smith, you know?

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

The Agent of S.H.A.D.E. cover looks great, it's one of favorite new titles along with All Star Western.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ray wrote:
I just thing the Thor cover is closer to Giffen's illustration than the FF or Superman covers.

The Thor and Omac figures are similar but that doesn't make the Omac cover more similar to the Thor cover than to the others, overall.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

more similar to this...

or this...

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

I collect O.M.A.C. so when the time comes, I'll jump in the weekly buy list thread and mention whether it's a complete tale or if it requires Frankenstein, which I don't collect. 

On the subject of Frankenstein's Monster's name... I coincidentally enough just finished reading Frankenstein for the first time ever last month. The book doesn't ever mention - that I noticed - the Creature calling himself Frankenstein. So I can understand people who don't think he should be, because in the book he isn't. However, I don't think those people have actually read the book, or understood what they read when they did read the book. 

The entire story is about the Creature trying to find his place in the world, and trying to cope with being a monster who's own Creator forsook him. At some point, you'd think the poor homicidal thing would have to refer to himself with a name... and it is entirely within reason that he should call himself Frankenstein. He calls Victor Frankenstein his "Father" so why wouldn't he call himself Frankenstein too?

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 05 January 2012 at 10:39pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 8  

I think the monster should just be referred to as "Ned".....

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9  

Come on, everyone knows the Creature's last name was Munster! :)
(sorry, had to.)

Edited by Kip Lewis on 06 January 2012 at 9:39am

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 10  

Brad wrote:
However, I don't think those people have actually read the book, or understood what they read when they did read the book.

What are you basing that on?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 11  

What are you basing that on?

---

The fact that they argue that the creature shouldn't be called Frankenstein. He's Frankenstein's "son" for crying out loud! Heck, even Victor refers to himself as a father to the monster. Someone saying "the creature isn't called Frankenstein in the book" is technically true, but it misses by many miles the entire subtext of the story. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 12  

Brad wrote:
He's Frankenstein's "son" for crying out loud!

It's not like the Monster started a business, found a home and raised a family, though, is it? His relationship with his "father" was hardly a loving one, and he was well aware he terrified and repulsed people. Indeed, the whole reason behind his vendetta against "Father" was that the latter destroyed the only thing the Monster thought would accept him.

I can see the reasons for wanting to call the Monster Frankenstein, but they're not all as self-evident as you seem to think.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 06 January 2012 at 9:07am

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version