Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Just for the X of It Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

SOOOoooo glad I never picked up Classic X-Men! 

Fortunately, by that point, I had picked up all of the original issues, so there was no need to buy them again.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB - 

I just saw FIRST CLASS a couple of weeks ago, and it *is* the best X-Men movie yet!

But considering what it's compared to, that's really damning by faint praise. And as a movie, it's just okay; as a movie about specific comic book characters, it's way wrong, even for a ret-con.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The thing I liked best about Classic X-men is they came out when back
issues of X-men were cost prohibitive. Some of the added on stuff I
liked; some I think was pointless; most I barely remember.

Edited by Kip Lewis on 28 November 2011 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The second best thing about Classic X-men was the Arthur Adams covers (and frontispieces)*

*The first best thing was of course the Byrne artwork printed on whiter paper and brighter colours. The Marvel Tales reprints of JB's Marvel Team-Up issues were good for the same reason.
(Even back then I would consciously decide to spend my money on reprint comics of issues that I already owned rather than some of the other titles at that time)

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This rather misses the point, but it does underscore the "danger" of "untold tales". Sometimes they can degenerate into pure fan-wank, filling "gaps" that don't really exist (as when Marvel decided there were "missing" issues between AMAZING FANTASY 15 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1) or unnecessarily clutter a character's backstory (as when DC decided it had actually taken Kal-El 100 years to reach Earth).

SER: Those are interesting examples. The ACTION COMICS story you mention is great because it's literally never mentioned again (IIRC, Superman himself never discovers the truth about why his rocket is 100 years older than it should be). I miss the sort of innocence when you could have "untold tales" that without the burden or weight of continuity.

"Untold Tales" came at a time when you just couldn't tell a stories set between AF #15 and ASM #1 without them actually "counting." My ideal would have been to treat the period as "Superboy" (or maybe "Spider-Boy") stories -- set in Spider-Man's past but not necessarily stepping over or intruding on what Stan and Steve did. By this point, though, I think it's hard for creators to do this without falling into fanwank. But why can't we just accept, "Here's a neat story with these characters during this period"? As a kid, it wouldn't have been an issue for me.

Not to risk mind-reading, but I often wondered if Quesada's stated issues with stories set in "the past" would be that it would be difficult for what remained of Spider-Man and the X-Men in the present to really compete to great stories from their narrative prime.

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Classic X-men was the first X-Men, and the first 'American'* comic that I
read and didn't know it was reprints. I just thought it was a cool comic with
two stories inside.

I read issues 1-5 in one sitting at a friends house, then on the way home
went into a newsagents and got the latest issue of X-men (#219 - didn't
have a clue what was going on, but liked it and became hooked.) From that
I got into Avengers with Roger, John and Tom, and the rest is history…

I can understand that it can be annoying for those that read the issues when
they came out, but at the time in my own naive way I just took them as they
were presented to me, and had a damn good time to boot. Can't really ask
for more than that really.

*At the time I only knew the weeklies that we had over here, and didn't
know that they were mostly reprints. A friend of mine ( who owned the
Classic X-Men's) got Secret Wars, which I also read, and that was a good
way for a newbie to get introduced to the Marvel Universe as it included
every crossover issue. In there I read X-Men #196 - but didn't know it at
the time, also I got introduced to JB with FF 281-285 - again didn't know
they were anything but the latest issues of Secret Wars. Since then, I have
got the originals.

Strangely enough, haven't really bought anything new in over a decade, with
the exception of anything by JB or JRjr. Wonder it my brain was hardwired
with those early readings….

Darran Hight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I, too, will not see the so called First Class movie. On three occasions I gave Hollywood a shot at my favorite merry band of mutants and they let me down. I didn't see the third X-Men film until it was on TV. I would have to be paid to see X:FC... well paid.

Hollywood mucks about with stories, not in a "alternate reality" sort of manor but more of "This is popular and make us a ton of money so let's change it and make it even better!" kind of way. Silly suits.

I can make allowances for the several versions seen in animated form, in fact I am a fan of Wolverine and the X-Men. So I am not a strict storyline stickler but at least keep the characters true to the originals and toss the old fans a few bones every now and then.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I very much agree with Stephen E. Robinson's statement about appreciating the era when stories could be done without them carrying the onerous weight of continuity.

"One Hundred Years, Lost, Stolen, or Strayed" was never written out of continuity, ret-conned, rewritten, or similarly done away with. It just wasn't addressed again. Back then, what was good, stayed, and what was not, fell by the wayside.

Had there been a rousing cheer from the readers and calls to revisit that time in Superman's unremembered past when he was a tribal chieftain on some lost, backwater world in another dimension, I'm sure the creators would have gone back to it. As it was, the story presumably did not go over well, and was simply left in the dust of ongoing story construction as the comics line continued to plunge headlong into the future... (I'm actually picturing the story being eaten by Stephen King's Langoliers...)

No one felt they had to go back and "fix" it and "correct" the "mistakes" the creators of that story made. Those were good times... :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 28 November 2011 at 11:30pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

On the topic of tossing the fans a few bones every now and then, I rewatched the Ang Lee Hulk Saturday evening (Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it!) and was struck once again by how weirdly "faithful" it was in some respects to the continuity of certain story arcs and yet how determined it was to go its own wonky way in other respects ("Krenzler?")

The film goes to great lengths to include the idea from Bill Mantlo's run that Bruce's rage was born of having an abusive, violently deranged father, and even includes scenes of him playing with stuffed toys that greatly resemble the mental constructs that accompanied the Hulk during his time at the Crossroads of Infinity. It was established in the comic that those characters were in fact based on childhood toys and models that Bruce had.

While the film avoids the "mutant menace" angle of the father's abuse, it does establish that the father has reason to believe Bruce is genetically different and is obsessively fixated upon that.

Of course, it also famously picks up on the "Dogs of War" idea from the Paul Jenkins era as well, although I do believe the idea of making one of them a poodle was entirely that of the filmmakers'.

Edited by Brian Hague on 28 November 2011 at 11:48pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have no desire to see FIRST CLASS either.

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

X-men: First Class was a good watch, i thought!  There's a Wolverine cameo which made me laugh out loud...

For all superhero films, i normally go in to the cinema with one rule - disengage memory...expect nothing....desire entertainment....X-men: Origins Wolverine, X-men: First Class and the second X-men film all worked pretty well for me in that respect.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For all superhero films, i normally go in to the cinema with one rule - disengage memory...expect nothing....desire entertainment....X-men: Origins Wolverine, X-men: First Class and the second X-men film all worked pretty well for me in that respect.

••

Yes, whenever I go into a restaurant, I just expect to be FED. I don't expect to be given what I asked for, or that it should actually taste like what I asked for.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version