Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Charater and Costume designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 1  

I totally agree with James Elliott regarding the SA Atom's costume.

I was so disappointed that when "The Power of the Atom" came out they had changed it so that it was more conventional and even had a pair of trunks on it. *sigh*

I have to admit I felt the SA costume designs, for the most part trunkless, were much sleeker looking than the GA designs. Never been much of a fan of the trunk look (although I understand it came from circus attire, IIRC?)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 2  

Never been much of a fan of the trunk look…

••

That leaves you with mighty slim pickings! Trunks were so much a part of the basic thinking behind costume design, that often even "single color" costumes/uniforms, like Captain America or the Fantastic Four, sported trunk lines.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 3  

My top three favorite super-heroes of all time also sport my top three favorite costume designs---and that's no coincidence!  My faves:  Superman (post triangle chest symbol, pre 52 armor, of course), Spider-Man (the classic red and blue, which I prefer drawn as red and black, with--of course! the webbing under the arms), and Batman (I prefer the pre 52 oval-less big black bat symbol and black cape, but I also love the blue cape and the oval---for me, Batman's costume is about the silhouette).  Numbers 4 and up:

4.  Just about anything by my favorite artist/favorite character designer, Joltin' John Byrne.  Particular favorites:  Sasquatch, Snowbird, The Master, Gilded Lily, Nemesis, Wild Child, Box, the Host robot from Superman, Terminus, ROG-2000, Terrax, Nova (Frankie Raye), grown-up Franklin from "Childhood's End", and just about every alien he ever designed.

5.  The Atom, Silver Age---it's just so perfect in its simplicity.

6.  Silver Age Flash---red and yellow are a great combo!

7.  Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)---I think of it as a cool "alternate Superman" design.

8.  Silver Age Green Lantern---the white stripe version.

9.  Daredevil---classic red costume---insanely simple, yet so cool.

10.  Doctor Doom---classic version, however, I love Kirby's prototype version and JB's Kristoff version, as well.

11.  Iron Man in his classic red and gold armor, which he wore much longer than any suit before or since.  JB and JR Jr. can draw that sucker to look soooooo cool!

12.  The FF---whether it's the originals, JB's black and white ones, or the half dozen or so variations that they've worn over the last several years, the basic design that The King came up with just seems to always look great.

13.  Galactus---revised version, of course.  Not that he doesn't have nice legs.  ;)

14.  Nightcrawler---It's a great look for either a villain or a spooky hero.  Nice combo of weird features---the ears, the hands and feet, the tail...fun-looking character.

15.  Doctor Fate---it's the helmet!  What an awesome shape!

16.  Doctor Strange---it's the cape!  What an awesome shape!

17.  The Joker---they took the face of the harlequin that appears on the joker in a deck of cards, put him in a purple zoot suit, and let him run amok!  Cool design.

18.  Hellboy---like Nightcrawler, he's a fresh and unusual take on the classic devil look.

19.  Brainiac---I like just about every version of this character, but my fave is the one that Dan Jurgens came up with during his run on the Superman titles.  It's mostly black, with silver and purple highlights---very nice.

20.  The Leader, original version---I don't know why, but that huge, squarish cranium and that green skin just make him look like the coolest mad scientist ever.  

Edited by Tony Midyett on 03 November 2011 at 7:15am

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm a big fan of trunks.

Even now, in the "trunkless" nuSuperman and nuBatman, often times it appears as the trunks are still drawn on in the form of lines, but the color of the trunks match the color of the rest of the costume.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Spider-Man is the best ever imo.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

My favourites would be ( in no particular order ) -

Quicksilver in his green suit

Iron Man with the pointy face mask

The Kirby Hulk in purple trunks

- I've many more, but those'd be my top three
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've always been partial to:
  • The Spectre (but not the Hal Jordan or goatee versions)
  • JB's Fantastic Four uniforms
  • Zatanna's 70/80s outfit with the red headpiece
  • Zatanna's fishnets
  • Hawkwoman's triangle-shaped cowl
  • Big Barda's Apokolipsian uniforms
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8  

Someone mentioned above that many folks abandoned their original looks pretty early on.  And in some cases, this is a really good thing!  The Mandarin--hate his original mask, Daredevil--why yellow?  The Melter---that original costume is just a mess.  Black Widow---yeesh!

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Not a fan of trunks, but I'm used to them. (On new characters I think
it dates them.) But I have to admit, it didn't take long for Batman to
look right without them in my eyes and likewise for Superman. (And
this will force mockers to look for new material; forty/fifty years of the
same joke is enough.)

But even wrestling doesn't use trunks like they did in the old days.
The most of the big names either wear something without trunks or
the trunks are same color as the rest of the outfit.

Don Berner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 10  

ok-after a few years on this forum and 30 years of buying comics maybe I'm super thick. I admit I could be incredibly dense but I wish someone would enighten me as I got into this argument with my comic shop dealer after the recent DC relaunch and I'm still not getting it. Can someone PLEASE enlighten me as to what Super hero fans problem with "Trunks" is?!?!

Why can we accept wing/horns/pointy ears on masks, symbols, capes, et.al. but we draw the line at trunks?!?!?! What is the reasoning that makes people think these are somehow rediculous? I mean if you want to get super anal retentive about it -it's ALL rediculous-so why trunks??!?!! Can one person who has posted about trunks being lame please explain to me why this is a sticking point on a super hero costume and worthy of ridicule as opposed to any other arbitrarily selected element of a super hero design?

I really wish to understand the reasoning here. Thanks!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 11  

Looking for "reasoning" is what's tripping you up, Don. There is no "reason" or "logic" in this "debate". It is merely one of those things that comes along from time to time, where a fragment of fandom gets a bee in its bonnet about some traditional element of the form.

It could be secret identities, or costume details, or even the lettering in balloons (some will even get exercised over their "right" to call balloon "bubbles").

In the end, it's nothing more than another of those faux "cool" affectations that ripple thru the hobby from time to time. In the end, best to just shrug and move on.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Don wrote:
Why can we accept wing/horns/pointy ears on masks, symbols, capes, et.al. but we draw the line at trunks?!?!?! What is the reasoning that makes people think these are somehow rediculous? I mean if you want to get super anal retentive about it -it's ALL rediculous-so why trunks??!?!! 

The problem may be that they're not generally thought of as trunks. They're thought of as "underwear worn on the outside."

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version