Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Horror and Superheroes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
It recently happened as part of the Fear Itself event in a 3 issue mini-series titled Fear Itself: Hulk vs. Dracula. Though from what I've heard about it, it's more like "Dracula's minions versus Hulk" with only a brief battle between the title characters in the last issue.

Thanks, I'll look out for it.

With regards to Captain America, I haven't seen any horror tales featuring him. I must track those down.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think horror can definitely work in super hero comics. Roger and JB's Baron Blood story in Captain America has already been mentioned, and then JB wrote a story (an annual) with Superman and Batman vs some vampires (Art Adams did the artwork, I think) which worked very nicely.

The Psycho-Man/ Hate Monger story that JB did in FF is sort of a psychological horror story.

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

What is most interesting to me is how the writer/artist approaches the story. The best horror stories have this sense of dread/fear for the protagonists that they have to overcome (if they do overcome it). Also, artistically much of what horror works best with is in the dark, in shadows. So to introduce a superhero who is usually portrayed as very brave and fearless, and also may in some situations outpower the monster/evil, can be tricky.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

TOMB OF DRACULA is one of my favorite series ever. thinking of that title in light of the topic of this thread, it occurs to me what a great job was done exercising restraint in placing the stories within the Marvel universe yet keeping them, for the most part, seperate. If I recall correctly, there were only two real crossovers/ guest appearances  within the series. one was with Dr. Strange, which makes perfect sense, and the other with the Silver Surfer which worked well as an unexpected exception to the norm.

If TOD was being done today, by today's creators, it might very well be a mess since those running Marvel today seem determined to show the universe as a much smaller place with everything being connected. I bet Dracula would end up fighting Wolverine within the first three issues.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

The most exasperating part of Waid's run on FF…

••

…were the parts between the front cover of his first issue, and the back cover of his last.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

Thanks, JB!  Gave me a good belly laugh.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

"But with superpowered heroes like Superman, horror is difficult. How do you put Superman into a corner with a monster chasing him?"
-----
I thought the Superman vs. Aliens mini-series did an excellent job with this. He was out in space, far from a yellow sun, and his powers kept fading as the story progressed. It ramped up the tension quite nicely.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Martino
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

I love horror in comics. That is what I originally tried to capture in my Ripperman comic. It has been said to have a horror bent, mixed with classical Marvel Silver Age elements of good battling evil.

Most of this is attributed to some of the stories that people have been talking about in this thread.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Some of my favorite superhero stories of all time are "horror stories."

Just a few off the head top.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't know why Superman is an example of how horror cannot find its way into his comic.

Why is it that the scale of the horror is not simply matched to Superman? Or, that the horror affects those he loves directly?

Citing the NEW GODS book, the Deep Six are terrifying more to the humans in the story, and the suspense lay in how they will survive the confrontation. In fact, in a lot of cases in NEW GODS, we aren't worried about Orion (maybe Lightray, who isn't a monster like Orion), but we are worried about Dan Turpin and Lincoln Kennedy. Even powered characters, like Forager, you worry about because they could conceivably die.

If you're going to do a Superman horror story, you really need to establish a set of characters who aren't Lois, Jimmy, ect. In a perfect world, you'd have characters like Dan Turpin who aren't anybody's favorite who could die at any moment. That Superman would by unable to help them, having to survive whatever threat we expect the corporate-owned character to survive, is part of the magic of storytelling when you know you can't kill Superman or other similar superheroes. But you can kill friends and lovers if you set it up right.

As in TOMB OF DRACULA, all those very human characters, capable and likeable as they are, even Blade, cannot be assured of living through the horror tale they are in.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

••

…were the parts between the front cover of his first issue, and the back cover of his last.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

HAHAHAHAHAHA
thanks for the laugh of the day, JB. I was horrified when my friend loaned me the Waid FF issues. I actually had to wonder if he'd ever read the FF before.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

That Annual JB wrote with Superman & batman taking on a vampire  drawn by Art Adams, is one of the best blends of Superheroes and horror and a perfect example of how to do it right, i.m.o.

I used to have a DC blue ribbon digest that reprinted several old Superman and Supergirl tales that were all supernatural/horror themed and I loved them! There was Superman vs. the Ghost of Jack the Ripper who is obsessed with Lois Lane, and Supergirl; story where she uses witchcraft to save Superman from kryptonite but becomes seduced by it. Theses stories were really fun!

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

••

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

HAHAHAHAHAHA
thanks for the laugh of the day, JB. I was horrified when my friend loaned me the Waid FF issues. I actually had to wonder if he'd ever read the FF before. 

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

I picked up Waid's FF issues in TPB form from the library because I like Mike Wieringo's art (RIP), but ye gods, that writing was horrible!  Waid's run on FF made Claremont's look good by comparison.  Scott Lobdell, whose writing I usually despise, wrote a couple of good "Heroes Return" issues of FF with some spectacular art by the always-reliable Alan Davis, then vanished and a string of horrible writers took over, starting with Crazy Christopher, and the FF became "X-Men: The FF Years".  I used to be hard on some of the '70's writers who worked on FF after The Man and The King left, but those '70's issues are looking better all the time, especially now that we have The Future Foundation and Kindly Doom and such crap.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version