Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Stories and characters that fans and pros misunderstand (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1  

There was this game instead of giving you upgrades, you could unlock crappier characters. It was pretty fun and sometimes scary to play as them, but you could still beat the game if you had enough skills. Of course, if pitted against equal skills, it was pretty hard because of their low endurance. But it was possible.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 2  

Here's a Captain America moment reminiscent of Jack Kirby's Cap v. Namor:

Ah, George Perez!

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 3  

Let's not forget, Cap DID wallop Spider-Man in ASM # 187 (?) before they went up against Electro. It wasn't a full on brawl, but Cap inflicted enough damage to convince Spider-Man things weren't going his way.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ah, George Perez!

That's Perez? I'm getting a huge Buscema vibe from it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ah, George Perez!

That's Perez? I'm getting a huge Buscema vibe from it.

••

I checked my bound volume. Penciler credit is Dave Wenzel.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

Okay, well... I'm wrong yet again! I had remembered that Perez did so much of the Korvac story, but these are 35 year old or so memories.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

That panel brings back alot of memories!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

Spider-Man is no newbie, but it doesn't mean he's not awestruck by Cap. A norse god follows this guy into battle -- and takes orders from him -- on a normal basis.

Is Spider-Man stronger? Sure. Faster? Maybe. Would he win in a fight against Captain America? Not necessarily.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks for answering my question guys.

Frantz Kenol
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB "Here's Captain America in a nutshell, from AVENGERS 4:"

Ahhh but the real question is did he? 

It is amazing how powerful the power of suggestion can be.  Cap saying he will find a way doesn't mean that he can find a way, (as that very story and the Korvac story demonstrate).
Yet, much like Wolverine saying he is "the best at what he does" has managed to convince people to think that means Wolverine can beat everybody in the MU, Cap's personality, his self confidence, and his "can do " attitude convinces us that he too can overcome anything. In spite of the fact that he didn't.
The Korvac story illustrates that perfectly. Cap was less significant than a fly to Korvac.  He had no chance whatsoever against him. Yet all we remember is Cap standing up to Korvac because of his (great btw) speech. 

By contrast, Spider-man's personality would have him thinking something like "Wow, Namor is out of my league, I hope I survive this somehow", while he is in fact actually kicking Namor's butt.  (See ASM 211).

It reminds me of the power of the bully. Guys who talked such a good game they had everybody scared.

I love Cap. I love his attitude. But I do not allow that love to blind me as to the facts.  The power Gap Sm and Cap, is too big for the experience gap to overcome.

which brings us to this point.  It is important to keep in mind that Spider-man is not a rookie.  Spider-man has fought against the most powerful beings in the MU.  (no I'm not talking about Galactus type guys).  In fact, I bet if you quantified the number of foes Spider-man has actually fought, it would outnumber (or at least match) any other single character in the MU. (by virtue of his many comics and guest appearances).  Spider-man has single handedly fought the vast majority of marvel characters.  He has been on every type of environment, from astral plane, to outer space, subterranean, past, future,.. you name it.  He has fought against more other superheroes than perhaps anyone else. Including whole teams, like FF, x-men and Avengers. etc.
To think of him as inexperienced, or not as skilled a fighter is simply a mistake. It's a classic misunderstanding of the character.

Styles make fights. As such Cap may defeat a guy like Rhino who is much stronger by outsmarting him.  But Spider-man's skill set completely neutralizes Cap's abilities.  Completely.  Again, how would Cap avoid his webbing?  

Frantz Kenol
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
"This is true. I'm bigger and stronger than my karate instructor but he continues to beat the crap out of me to this day. What he lacks in size and strength (compared to me) he makes up for in strategy, experience, and skill. Just like Captain America would."

But comparing you to your instructor is far from comparing Spider-man to Captain America.  unless you happen to be 20 stronger and at least 5 times faster, and a champion in your own right.

Edited by Frantz Kenol on 27 September 2011 at 6:46pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

Again, how would Cap avoid his webbing?

Jumping, running, dodging, blocking it with the shield. Or, perhaps, even, surmising that the webshooters must be mechanical -- because webbing coming out of someone's wrist, even someone with Spider-powers, would just be ridiculous (in a world or ridiculousness!) -- using said shield with pinpoint accuracy to disable those mechanics.

The question is, how does Cap not avoid his webbing?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version