Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Stories and characters that fans and pros misunderstand (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Spider-Man is ten-men-strong, super-fast, climbs walls, leaps stories, performs ordinarily impossible gymnastics and has his defensive "Spider-Sense" and his multi-purpose webs to boot. JB has often noted that Captain America should be drawn to look like Superman but move like Spider-Man. "Like" -- not just like! To me Captain America is about the most noble superhero ever created and I would take no pleasure in seeing him lose, but, straight-out, Cap versus Spider-Man, really... no contest.

This theory only works, I think, if you view super-heroes as a list of "stats" -- stength versus strength, speed versus speed, etc.   Cap's got skills and training and experience that Spider-Man would never be able to match.

Edited by Thom Price on 25 September 2011 at 12:38pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

And what did my old LCS owners do when they got the first Marvel Superheroes Role-Playing Game?

A deathmatch between Wolverine  and Spider-Man...

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Cap versus Spider-Man, really... no contest.

••

Yes -- Spider-Man would lose.

Well, I've only been reading these characters for 40 years, JB -- you've been among those creating their stories for just about that long! The best I can do is fan-ishly hypothesize a setting that would "exist" only as long (and as well -- um, or not!) as I think of it. Having never had anything approaching the ability myself to make a comicbook, the value of my opinion is thus... limited. 

++++++

This theory only works, I think, if you view super-heroes as a list of "stats" -- stength versus strength, speed versus speed, etc.   Cap's got skills and training and experience that Spider-Man would never be able to match.

I understand what you mean, Thom. A baseball player with the best stats on paper may not be the best overall player in the field.

And I may be abstracting the characters far too much from a truly possible scenario where they might for whatever cause meet in some kind of combat.

Nonetheless, on paper, even though Cap would be able as a fighter to out-think Spider-Man (and he could probably strategize better than anybody else too), I still give the nod to Mr. Parker.

Edited by Michael Penn on 25 September 2011 at 2:37pm

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

The supermodel element is but one of the things that rob Parker of his
"everyman" status. He is also a famous photojournalist.
++++++++
I guess each thing makes it harder to accept his "everyman" status, I know
for me that having a good looking girlfriend/wife or having a good job are
not as damaging to the "everyman" status as being a scientific genius who
can develop advanced chemical compounds and electronics on the fly with
no real lab to speak of. Give me good stories, that's all i ask.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

What if Spider-Man rolled a critical hit?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6  

I never understood that rule in the Marvel role-playing game.  Aunt May could beat Galactus but she would need a double "0" to do it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 7  

JB, what do you think of the "gray-area" that some writers use for certain characters? (e.g., due to some past, retconned trauma, the villain should be given some leniency or that THIS time the hero finally cracks)

While some backstory to explain motivations could work well, often times to me it comes across as notsomuch what the characters would do but rather the writer going "If I was the character, this is how they would act!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 8  

Well, if I am understanding your question correctly, Jeremiah, I'd say that a rich backstory is important to characters and titles, but it should not interfere with every story -- preferably every ISSUE -- standing as much on its own as humanly possible.

When I was doing FANTASTIC FOUR, as an example, altho I frequently drew upon the 20+ years of continuity that preceded my tenure on the title, I tried to avoid stories in which key elements would depend upon the reader being familiar with much or all of those years -- stories in which the success or failure of the villain, for instance, turned upon something that had been introduced into his story fifty issues ago.

Again, every issue is the first issue for somebody. Every issue has to be a "jumping on point". In all the years I read comics strictly as a fan, there was not one instance where I came to the end of a story and asked "what the heck just happened?" There was no "homework" needed to step into the worlds created by each new issue. "New", in fact, was the key word.

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 9  

True. When I was first reading the "Fantastic Four", it may have been the umpteenth time they faced Doctor Doom but it was my first introduction to him. When some say "well, he always loses", I think they're missing the point. It's potentially the first time someone is seeing The Fantastic Four vs Doctor Doom or Spider-Man vs Doctor Octopus, etc. so make the battle worth it.Though the hero usually triumphs over the villain, if written well, the right amount of tension can exist to make one think that the hero(es) could very well be in peril.

What I may have been intimating at is that some writers try to justify a characters actions by making their past so horrible that it excuses whatever misdeeds they are currently perpetrating. Likewise, some seem to think the hero shouldn't be putting up with certain problems and should go to the dark side, as it were.

As a kid, I'd read some of the "Marvel Tales" which reprinted the Ditko/Lee stories and the one reprinting Sandman's appearance also had Flash and Peter in a boxing match and I was hoping Peter would flatten him but what was being emphasized it would be so easy to do that and in turn be the aggressor but Peter was the better man for using restraint. Not sure how that'd play out today. Not all wish-fulfillment needs to be put into comics.

Edited by Jeremiah Avery on 26 September 2011 at 11:44am

Frantz Kenol
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm sorry, but the discussion about Spider-man is a clear and perfect example of "fans and pros misunderstanding" a character.

First, the "geek" issue. I guess we would first have to define the term "geek" and "nerd".  For some those terms mean a highly educated, interested, and gifted individual in a particular field. Usually associated with science or technology.  In that sense a Geek could be very good looking, popular and even rich. His knowledge makes him a "geek".

For others however, the term "geek" is associated with being a rejected outsider because of some unusual interest and knowledge in a particular field.  Said field does not have to be advanced or highly skilled.  It could be for example reading comics, playing chess, computers, etc. The field itself actually doesn't matter. it is rather the fact that this interest is so compulsive that it takes away from that individual's ability to relate to his environment.  making him a rejected outsider.  (not saying this is a good or bad thing, just saying that's what it is).

If you are thinking about the first definition then yes PP is a "geek".  However, that is not how most people think of PP, and that is not how he is being depicted today's comics.  The misconception is that he is uncool, unwanted, nerdy, stupid (outside his field of interest), etc. The way other heroes and villains have viewed him the past ten years has been as a guy who isn't up to par. a waste of time (with some potential if he stopped being so silly).  Recently Cap told him he didn't want him on the team because he isn't good enough but went along because Iron man said so (something like that).  

Now this is where the misconception or misunderstanding lies, even from those who are defending PP.  He hasn't been THAT guy since like the 6 issue of his run.  He hasn't been the weirdo "loser, newbie kid with new powers since like year one.  Again, the facts are that the absolute hottest girl in the whole college was pining over him.  was totally in love with him. The other Hottest girl btw was fighting with said girl over him.  Guys wanted to be his friends. He was the guy who when he walked in the room, everyone turned around and did a "norm"!  Only his preoccupation with his Spidey life got in the way of that popularity.  He is good looking, and popular.  Not at all a "geek" in the second sense. As far as his SPider-man identity, he was the guy that the Avengers, actively tried to recruit.  The guy who wasn't impressed by anyone, including the FF or the Avengers.  

which brings us to the second HUGE misconception. that Spider-man is somehow a newbie, with not enough experience to handle a guy like Cap.  
sorry JB but Cap has absolutely no chance in fighting SM.  The difference is way too huge. We forget that Spider-man isn't a newbie, or some inexperience young kid.  He has been around for a long time and because of his popularity, many guest appearances and many comics, has literally experienced everything there is to experience in the MU. he has fought alongside and against the most powerful beings of the MU as well as the weakest.  He is not a newb by any stretch of the imagination. Though he may not have Cap's leadership oriented personality or standing,.. (who does?) he isn't the fresh kid that sees Cap as some impossible giant the way he is depicted today. ( See his previous meetings with Cap).  respect for sure but a peer non the less. Not a father figure. 

The reason SM appears to be less then what he is was established fairly clearly (if you paid attention) in the comics.

1) he doesn't think of himself as a big deal.  But it is important to note however, that unlike current beliefs he didn't consider himself "less than" either.  He was just a humble guy . One who btw had a chip on his shoulder and was quick to put anyone who came at him in their place. 

2) He (like Superman) holds back when fighting lesser foes for fear of hurting them. Just like the Superman vs Batman fight created the misunderstanding that Batman could "fight" superman, so to did the fights between SM and punisher,DD,Kraven, etc. created the misunderstanding that they could fight Spider-man.  They can't.  think about it this way. Spider-man could literally kill DD with a single punch. DD cannot hurt SM with a single punch.  Those are facts.  Now think about those fights again.  

It isn't that SM has the strength of "10 men", it is that he lifts/presses, TEN TONS.  that is 20, 000 pounds.  compared to the 800 or so that Cap lifts. That means he is more then Twenty times stronger than Cap.  Hulk is only ten times stronger than Spider-man. Think about it.  It isn't that he is fast, it's that he is TEN times faster than the average human, he doges bullets and lasers, and has a Spider-sense which warns him ahead of time.  It's not just that he is tough, it's that his body is very strong and able to resist injury from over 50 men hitting him at once.  It's not just that he is experienced, it's that he has been there and done it all. From cosmic to street thug.  

I LOVE Cap. But What could Cap possibly do to such a guy? punch him? throw his shield at him? How could Cap for example avoid his webbing? by blocking it? thereby giving a hold of the shield?  Who wins that tug of war? by dodging it? for how long and how? assuming SM shoots a wide net.  
The disparity between Cap and Spider-man is almost as big as the one between Spider-man and Superman.  
IOW, there is nothing he could do.

I feel so truly bad at how deep the misunderstanding of Spider-man goes.  HE is the best he is at what he does.  I don't say this cause I'm a fan, I say because that's what it is.  He isn't the guy in the front of the group shoot for no reason. 
 Don't let bad writing/art, Peter Parker's humble disposition, or faulty beliefs fool you. There are plenty of examples of GREAT Spider-man runs where he shows you what he is capable of. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

sorry JB but Cap has absolutely no chance in fighting SM.

••

You're wrong.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

Cap often fights villains who's abilities are equal to or greater than Spider-Man's, so I dont see Spider-Man himself being a problem.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version