Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: The Great Panels Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well, Gwen Stacy's death isn't an example of the bad guy winning, since the Goblin meets his fate soonafter.

A better argument would be the death of the Doom Patrol, where the bad guys really won. The DP was dead for half a decade, and Wolfman/Perez had to write a revenge story to bring the bad guys to justice a good decade after the original DP perished.

Gwen Stacy returned like eight issues later or something, can't recall.

The Elektra thing, within the context of the grim world of human slime, degradation, drugs, and intense violence Frank Miller instituted, changed the whole audience for comics by changing the language of comic book storytelling. I saw Elektra skewered when I was about 12 years old, only a year or more removed from Phoenix's disintegration in X-MEN. Which could also be the Beginning of Grim/Gritty, but Phoenix's death didn't invite a new visual language to be formed around it.

Elektra, and the style of Miller's work (with no small amount of help from the great Klaus Jansen, whom no one credits for that unique visual look), concretized the grit so well that you had to wash your hands after reading the mag. Elektra's death, so lovingly supported by Miller's visuals and story, simply broke the mold. Comic books were never, ever the same after that.

Back to Top profile | search

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

I blew that face of death on the Ditko panel from earlier to 400% on my browser. It is amazing the details he drew by just suggesting form with shade!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Long live The King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 5  

"Also awakened the whole age of grim/gritty in superhero comics. Blame WATCHMEN if you want, but it really started with Elektra's demise."

Then couldn't we say it really began with the death of Gwen Stacy?

••

It goes back further than that. "Grim and Gritty" (which Dave Gibbons has aptly dubbed "Glum") began with the "relevant" comics of the early Seventies. GREEN LANTERN & GREEN ARROW led the way -- and suddenly everyone wanted to pile onto that particular bandwagon. Of course, there were two things they seemed to overlook. Very few of them were anywhere near as good as Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams, so what we got was a mere surface-skimming of what they were doing --- and, of course, GL/GA was CANCELED! The majority of the audience didn't WANT their comics "relevant" or "grim and gritty".

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 6  

Great panel there, Chad.  The King has so many creations under his belt; his imagination was limitless.  The Celestials are for me one of his most amazing creations.  They blew my mind when I first saw them as kid in The Eternals and they still do to this day.  I still get chills when I read those stories. Even then, The king was way ahead of his contemporaries.  Again, that is such a great panel. Long live the King, indeed!!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 7  

Yoooooooo, here is our boy Frank Robbins! House of Mystery 241, page 3, panel 3. Check the beauty of that brush work! Yeehah!

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

The GA/GL stories and relevancy is only the seeding wherein Glumness began, certainly.

But when looking for the No Turning Back point, it starts and ends with Frank Miller.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Let's not forget the Wolverine limited series from 1982, which followed up Miller's work on Daredevil, and Void Indigo, the graphic novel which pushed the boundaries for violence in comics.

Once comics came off the newsstands and went into the comic shops where distribution made "mature subject matter" a more viable option, comics were on their way.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

One of the best of the Heap variations, I think.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

Frankly, this is the best "WW" design I've ever seen.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

My intro to a very cool character.

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version