Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: The Great Panels Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 1  

Rude rocks!  Haven't heard much from him lately.  He's tended to work on Indy stuff, and very little from the Big Two.  It's a darn shame that he never did a nice, loooooong run on Superman or Iron Man or another such iconic character.  Man, his pencils have zing!  He's right up there with JB, Perez, and Alan Davis in my Penciller Pantheon.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

Rude posted on Facebook a while back that he talked to DC about doing some work for them and listed some characters he wanted to work on...... and I don't think they ever got back to him.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think Steve Rude is one of the few artists that actually understands the Hulk is NOT a body builder. His Hulk is superb. I would pursue a Rude Hulk if my other desires were satiated, but alas they are not. =)

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2011 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 4  

Rude posted on Facebook a while back that he talked to DC about doing some work for them and listed some characters he wanted to work on...... and I don't think they ever got back to him.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

Jesus!  What planet do the Big Two live on, these days?

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

Oh hell yes!

Thanks for that one Chad! I haven't seen that Aparo page in years. I always loved that one.

There's something about giant sea creatures that's always fascinated me and that's certainly one of the best depictions of on ethat I've ever seen in a comic book.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've posted it before as my favourite picture of Batman and it serves just as well as just about the best panel I can think of:

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hey, that's an altered version of the panel - Batman was missing his utility belt in that scene.

Antonio Rocha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 9  

Can you see I like "Big" John?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 10  

"Rude posted on Facebook a while back that he talked to DC about doing some work for them and listed some characters he wanted to work on...... and I don't think they ever got back to him."

As I understand it, the problem is that Rude was extremely difficult to work with, and I think the problem with his "Work application" was evident: He expressed that he was "ready to get bavk in to comics" and then he presented a wishlist of top tier characters that already had creative teams.

Contrast that with Art Adams, who had burned a lot of bridges due to lateness. He went out and publicly apologized and took responsibility for his problems and basically said "Look, you all know what I can do, give me a chance and I'll do any book you want."

Demands may be appropriate for hot creators who are being lured from DC to Marvel or vice versa (a la "If you want me to give up Superman or Batman, are you going to give me Spider-Man or Hulk or Avengers?"). But not if you're trying to get back in. In the context, Rude is back to paying his dues just like a newbie, and any newbie who showed up saying "Ah, yea, I'd like Superman. Wonder Woman or New Gods is also fine. One of those" I'd be surprised if the editors got back in touch.

If Rude wanted to really reach out a hand and show that he'd dealt with the issues that pushed him out of the business in the first place, he'd be offering to do any book they wanted, so he could prove himself. Even if it was doing Scooby Doo for the kids line (Which incidentally is a book that has had a lot of great classic comics writers and artists working on it, so I'm not using it as an example of poor quality, but of low profile. )

I would love to see Steve Rude do more superhero work, but I'm not surprised that DC and Marvel didn't respond favorably to his Facebook job application.

It's the old Freelancers' rule: Be good, be on time and be polite. You can get away with deficiencies in one for a while if you compensate in the two others. But the harsher the market, the more important all three are.

Sometimes you can play hard to get, and sometimes you have to walk to Canossa.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

He expressed that he was "ready to get back in to comics" and then he presented a wishlist of top tier characters that already had creative teams.

Maybe DC can let him do Hawk and Dove, as they are without an artist at present.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

I love it. "Steve Rude is hard to work with." I'm thinking that means he's probably not an ass-nuzzler looking to ride Dan DiDio's camel toe horse back to the hot barn action that is the DC offices.

Rude is worth his weight in gold. He could be the biggest douche lord since Todd McFarland and still revolutionize comic book art. Why Rude, Ron Frenz, Mike Allred, Mike Mignola, and Eric Powell aren't worshipped by the Big Two as if their bristol boards were pure coke sniffed off Raquel Welch circa 1971, I don't understand.

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version