Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10
Topic: Grant Morrison on The Death of Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Clark was raised as a Kansas farmboy, albeit one with special abilities, and there is no reason he should think of himself as a Kryptonian.

But over the years he has dealt with a lot of Kryptonian stuff ... he is not at all a sole survivor (as originally conceived?) but various other Kryptonians have come and gone. (I’d be surprised if he hasn’t time-travelled to Krypton itself.) So I don’t think it’s all that unreasonable that Clark spends a lot of time thinking about his ancestry and take to affectations like ”Great Rao!” Maybe it’s not a good idea to write the character that way, but I can’t see it as an affront to logic or psychology.
Back to Top profile | search

Betty Boolean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 2  

Not a big reader of Superman but I would think that the dictum 'you are what you do' applies', if he spent his formative years as an individual called Clark Kent then that is who he is. From a subjective standpoint he would probably not distinguish between the two identities and see both as aspects of a greater whole?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Culture is not just about how you grew up, but how you're perceived. Barack Obama grew up with his white, irish-american mother and grandmother and has several times openly identified with his irish-american heritage.

Yet he cannot escape being perceived as having a primarily African American identity, even though his father was African, not African American and therefore would have no ties to a specific African American culture beyond the colour of his skin.

If he were to say : "I feel like I'm an Irish American, not an African American" that would not be interpreted as Irish pride but as being ashamed of being black.

And if one views it with some form of realism, as the last survivor of Krypton, there would be considerable expectations on Superman to know about and relate to that culture.

Of course, this is fiction, so to what extent he relates to his Kryptonian heritage is up to the writers, but there is fertile ground to be mined in a character finding himself between two cultures. Of course his eventual commitment will be to an earth-based culture (as that is presumably the writers' preferred culture) but there is drama in the process.

As I see it, Pre-Crisis exclamations of "Great Rao" were simply used because it would be bad form to have him exclaim "Jesus Christ". Mainly because we don't actually know (Pre Crisis) whether Clark and the rest of the Kent family are Christian, Jewish or Atheist.

Personally, as an atheist, if Superman had gone "Oh, Jesus Christ" or "Holy Mary, Mother of God" instead of "Great Rao", I would have become a bit sceptical of the character early on (While of course Christians might have responded more positively to it).

For a character to make religious references that only relate to their fictional universes (like "Rao" and the "Crom" of the Conan stories) does not interfere with my enjoyment of the story. But once they commit to an actual world religion, I have to view them in relation to that.

Which is why I prefer it when there is limited use of both religion and party politics in mainstream superhero books. I'll forego any number of characters agreeing with me about religion or politics as long as I never have to run the risk of seeing Superman refer to Sarah Palin or Michele Bachman "a great political leader" or have Batman declare himself a Mormon or Reed Richards declare himself a Scientologist.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 4  

When was this person from another planet not self-identified as Clark? Never. He has only known himself as Clark. He knows himself as as a person who has special powers -- but nothing else apparently creates an obvious difference between him and earth-people. Those powers aren't trivial, of course, but they aren't hard to hide, to suppress. And Ma and Pa would have been training Clark from infancy to do this, not unlike I have instructed my own 3 year old, from his own infancy, to be careful not to destroy delicate objects. For Clark the special difficulty is that virtually everything is delicate! But a earth-child too can exert his own strengths in ways that can be harmful to himself, to others, and to objects, and all children have to be trained to control themselves. So did Clark. He wouldn't have known himself to be anything but Clark, except that he was gifted with powers that could be deleterious if not controlled. 

When Clark got older and went to school the kind of control he needed to exercise necessitated not a new persona as such but a greater, more comprehensive kind of control. Did the adult Clark play up a "wimpy" persona to mask his identity (think about what that word means) with Superman? He did. But the humor that this generated was a key element to the comicbook (and remember that Superman was invented when comics were called the "funnies"). It didn't mean "Clark" was a phony disguise altogether.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 5  

It didn't mean "Clark" was a phony disguise altogether.
----------------------

But it isn't altogether real either. Which is why some of us have said,
neither identity is the real one.

But pre-crisis Kal-el remembered his biological parents and
homeworld. Because of super-memory, he was more like a human 13
year being adopted after his parents died. His formative core
memories were Kryptonian. Byrne solved this by erasing his life on
Krypton.

Great Rao made him sound like a comic book Super-hero. Human
expressions made him more realistic. I am not sure which is best.

Friedrich Thorben
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 6  

Michael, that's a nice take and it makes sense from a certain point of view, but it wasn't really how the character was intended to be by its creators and the guys who followed them. Until 1986.

If he's called Superman or "Clark Kent" or "Kal-(E)l" isn't really that important, those are just names. Especially since his parents died he was an outsider who hid his true self from virtually everyone. The fact that Siegel saw himself as undervalued by the people around him this is all reflected in the nature of Superman / Clark Kent.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm certainly not a Superman expert and I don't pretend to know more than a fraction of how the character was depicted over his long history.

But I've recently re-read the first 13 issues of "Action Comics" and "Superman" #1 (his origin) and, although I could be wrong, I don't think that any of my descriptions of the character are incongruent with what appears there. 

I do not dispute, of course, that so very much about Superman changed in the subsequent decades. But when I think about JB's "cleaning up" choices, I find them quite justified by so much of Superman's earliest depictions. More than that, thinking about the character overall, trying to suss out what was essential at the start and what should remain essential despite changes over time, well, this is what I'm speaking to.

It may be no more than my own particular vision of the character, as far as I can say.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 8  

Michael, that's a nice take and it makes sense from a certain point of
view, but it wasn't really how the character was intended to be by its
creators and the guys who followed them. Until 1986.

----------------------

I don't find that argument really valid unless you take it in its entirety.
Originally, he didn't fly, and wasn't even as powerful as JB's Superman.
His Kryptonian identity was added and so were many of his
fundamental powers. If you use the "original" version reason, you
have to use it for everything they created: powers, personality, etc.,
including the fact that he killed bad guys.

Edited by Kip Lewis on 29 August 2011 at 8:22am

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version