Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Q for ALL: Comic hunting! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1  

I had two comic shops growing up that I could alternate between when comic hunting.  One was a hole in the wall style shop, crammed with tons of good stuff at very reasonable prices.  (I miss his 5 for $1 bin...).
The other was/is run by an older couple who pretty much went a bit under Overstreet pricing.
There was another one, the guy ran his store out of his house and was by appointment only, that went strictly by Overstreet and then some!  I remember buy a water-stained Incredible Hulk #102 for $40!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 2  

I got bit by the comic collecting bug back in the early 70s, when I was about 12. I stopped in at a used book store and bought a couple of World's Finest and just had to buy more. After that, any time I was in a drug/grocery/book store I would check the racks for what they had.

Once I found out that not all stores got the same books, I developed a routine: bike to the two drug stores down the street every couple of days (comics came in on Tues. and Thurs.); go to a little corner grocer on those days if I had time, or on Wed. if I didn't; and bike downtown on Friday to the used book store and new book store. And any time my parents were going to other grocery/drug stores that weren't on my patrol, or the mall, I would go with them so that I could check what they had.

But still, I would miss the occasional comic!

Fortunately, in the late 70s we got a comic book store, so I was able to not only fill in holes in my collection, but also get all my comics in one place AND not worry about missing issues as they came out. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm waiting for that story JB has....
I KNOW he has one...
being that he was around back in the day.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version