Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for ALL: Comic hunting! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not sure if I count as "older", but...

Flea markets, trading with other fans, and Mile High Comics.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
Not sure if I count as "older", but...

Born in 1983, you don't.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I was a kid I was at the mercy of my dad to take me to the one local comic book store, which was downtown.  (Granted, it wasn't far away but, well, my dad was a pain sometimes.)  A second store opened when I was in high school and me and a friend made the trek a couple times -- we knew the other store's backstock as well as the owner probably did.

Once I got to college my friends and I started road tripping to the not-so-local stores and cons.

I do remember buying the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini-series from Mile High Comics, because #6 was EXCEEDINGLY rare in Canton, Ohio when I was in junior high.

David Francisco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Mainly Comic shows - The UK Comic Art Convention (UKAC) back when it was on and an infrequent Collector / Comic fair every 2 or 3 months to hunt down the elusive back issues that I was hunting!

I remember it taking a looooong time to compile my JB comic collection (and as I don't go to these shows very often now - probably every 2 years or so I am still missing a few issues here and there). Similar to a poster on another thread - I prefer the hunt in person rather than online.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I had Marie's Books and Things in downtown 1970s Fredericksburg VA, when I was a kid. I didn't know what the hell a back issue was until I discovered that place. This was a funny hole in a wall run by two odd older people, and back then it was a tiny bit of new comics and then nothing but long boxes of back issues and towers of back issues and back issues hung on the wall. The owner was always trying to foist off some kind of Fantastigraphics book on me, but I wasn't interested. Marie's also had tons of used paperbacks, and I kick my own ass today that I didn't know to seek the kind of pulpy genre stuff I'd be paying dearly for in later years.

Even so, this was back when you could buy actual issues of the Lee/Kirby FF for like a buck-fifty to three dollars. But three dollars was a friggin' fortune for a comic book. Once I figured out that Marie's had issues of the comics I loved that existed before I knew what comics were, I guess I began to "collect comics."

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

For a few brief years, I worked at a major back-issue comic and magazine fulfillment company. Periodically (Ha!) issues would roll in that were absolute, "must-own" comics. The Harvey Spirit reprints, for instance. One of the "perks" of working there was that you could, at certain specified times, shop for what you wanted. These were then kept in one of the higher-up's office where they could easily sit for weeks waiting for him to regrade the books, since obviously either the original grade was defective or we, scheming rats that we all were, would attempt to cheat the company by switching out the grade stickers. Finally, an announcement would be made that employee books were ready for sale and you had to get there by Wednesday, as I recall, or they would be refiled. No discounts. No shipping them out to stores where we might put one over on the mooks working there.

You could use some of the Trade Credit you inevitably accrued working there because the company would not pay overtime. They paid trade credit. This worked out so well for them that they began declaring certain evenings "Mandatory Trade Credit Nights." Show up, work for trade credit, or be fired the next day. I didn't make too big a show of it, but I did not show up for Mandatory Trade Credit Nights. Somehow, I squeaked by.

Finally, someone (many still think it was me. It was not, unfortunately) ratted out the practice to the state and weirdly, Mandatory Trade Credit Nights went away... I was gone by then, as well.

Still, it was a grand old time of it shopping in the files on those occasions when we could. That place often had stuff you would not believe...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

I used to ride my bike down to the local book exchange after school during the mid to late 80's. I found many great books this way.  I still do, in fact I found some of JB's Marvel Team-Up issues and the three Power Man/Iron Fist issues this way last week, along with the early Killraven Amazing Adventures stories, for $2 a pop.

My first comic shop experience came at 13, when an older friend took me on the then two-hour commute from Wollongong to Sydney.  I started doing this regularly with friends my own age at 16.  Fond memories of picking up holes in my Byrne FF collection.

These days I occaisionally use eBay and other online places, but mainly, I still try my luck in book exchanges and the like.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Several different ways. In comic shops' back issues, cons, flea
markets, garage sales, you name it. I refuse to go on the Internet. It
just makes it too easy. Half of the excitement is the thrill of the hunt.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

I didn't find my first comic shop until 1989.  Before that, it was garage sales mostly, where I picked up various comics with no real rhyme or reason. My first mail order was in 1983 to J&S Comics in Red Bank, NJ for copies of Amazing Spider-Man#121 and #122, which I scored for $12 and $17 respectively. After that, I closed many a hole in my Iron Man collection thanks to Mile High Comics (back in the days when you sent in your list from an in-comic ad and waited a month for the UPS truck to deliver the package!)

Once I set foot in my first comic shop in 1989, things got significantly easier. Now, I buy almost exclusively online, which is even easier.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 10  

I grew up in a small town, it was about 9-12k when I was growing up, and there was a greyhound stop/book store run by an Aussie lady.  She sold comics for 30 cents and bought them for 10 cents.  I found a huge run of Byrne FF there and even a bunch of Miller Daredevil comics.  I would go to garage sales and buy stacks of Archie comics for 5 cents each, then trade them in to her for Marvels.  I amassed most of my early collection that way.  I didn't even set foot in a comic store until 1986 when my dad drove me to Pegasus Books (where Dark Horse started) to buy Man of Steel #1.

Man, I'd walk along the highway looking pop-cans to buy comics from the book stop.  Good times, good times. 

Clint Ludwick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged | 11  

Local flea markets or an hour drive to Charlotte to go to Heroes.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 12  

flea markets and second hand comic shops

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version