Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Dr. Strange: Oriental look. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

Last year Jennifer Aniston drew criticism for calling herself a "retard."

••

Of course! People in the mental health industry prefer the term "retread".

(Don't you love dirty little secrets?)

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

Seems to me when folks confront it, other people accuse them of "crying". Is saying, "I dont like that term, please do not use it", crying? Yeah there are some people who whine over the slightest thing and often have no sense of context.

The one thing worse than PC, is people who whine about Political Correctness because it means they cant be assholes anymore. Common sense means thinking before you open your mouth. Being grown up means chosing your words carefully and acting in a polite, respectful manner.

•••

Just let me be clear on this point, then. You're saying that when some people paint with a broad brush it's wrong, but when you do it, it's okay?

If I did so, then no its not okay.There are legitimate gripes against "PC" taken to the extreme. ( I've griped myself) And on the other hand there are folks who use being "anti PC" as an excuse to be jerks. Case by case is my approach.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'd suggest Mike if you like being PC that you don't ever come down here, no one I know around here is ever worried about being, or ever is Politically Correct.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know where "here" is. I've lived a lot of places: Georgia, Texas, Japan, California, Tennessee and visited others. I've found there are all types of people everywhere.

I've no idea if I "like" being "PC" because its such a nebulous term.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Political Correctness is straight out of George Orwell. In 1984 he predicted a society that had so manipulated the language as to make it virtually impossible to make a subversive statement. The PC crowd would like to see it made impossible to say anything that could cause offense to anyone, anywhere.

Which is impossible, of course.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

That's my problem with the term. Anything can offend.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

If I did so, then no its not okay.There are legitimate gripes against "PC" taken to the extreme. ( I've griped myself) And on the other hand there are folks who use being "anti PC" as an excuse to be jerks. Case by case is my approach.

You mean your opinion or no one's opinion, don't you? There's a necessity for a moral and ethical stand, I agree with that, but I don't know where all this anti-PC paranoia is stemming from. I don't think there's a grand anti-PC movement out there, in fact I know there isn't, because it'll always be stymied by some fems clutching the top of their heads and screaming, "Look at all the A**HOLES who I think should not be a**holes because I don't agree with what they don't agree with."

Maybe the a**hole isn't the one who is "rude" so much as the one who assumes a moral/ethical stance without the context of a personally-sovereign opinion. It's just more fear. Political Correctness is wrong. Period. Black and white. A is A. PC is not based on anything but fear and a passive aggressive immunity to human intelligence. When people start blanket-proclaiming that anyone who thinks there is a "gray area" to this issue ie "people will be jerks if allowed" is an insult to any thinking human being.  

Edited by Chad Carter on 26 June 2011 at 8:18pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
You mean your opinion or no one's opinion, don't you?
What are you refering to? You might not be offended by the same things I am. And thats fine. Different strokes.

QUOTE:
There's a necessity for a moral and ethical stand, I agree with that, but I don't know where all this anti-PC paranoia is stemming from. I don't think there's a grand anti-PC movement out there, in fact I know there isn't, because it'll always be stymied by some fems clutching the top of their heads and screaming, "Look at all the A**HOLES who I think should not be a**holes because I don't agree with what they don't agree with."
Who thinks there's an "grand anti-PC movement" out there? I sure don't. 

What a "fem"??? Who's a fem???? How does a "fem" act? ( other than clutching the tops of their heads) I think we used the term in Juinor High. Mostly to insult kids we didnt like.  

Come on Chad type it: ASSHOLE! Say it: ASSHOLE!! Dont be so PC.

QUOTE:
Maybe the a**hole isn't the one who is "rude" so much as the one who assumes a moral/ethical stance without the context of a personally-sovereign opinion.

That's always a possibillty. I hate when people jump in and have no clue about what's going on.

QUOTE:
It's just more fear. Political Correctness is wrong. Period. Black and white. A is A. PC is not based on anything but fear and a passive aggressive immunity to human intelligence. When people start blanket-proclaiming that anyone who thinks there is a "gray area" to this issue ie "people will be jerks if allowed" is an insult to any thinking human being.

Like I said, I'm no fan of "Political Correctness"  especially when it runs amuck. (Like folks try to ban Huck Finn because it contains the word "Nigger") But I'm also not going to stand by and say nothing when the term "Nigger" is used as a pejorative.

Edited by Mike Norris on 26 June 2011 at 8:47pm

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 9  

Okay....so, did Ditko intend Strange to be Asian, or not? 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Tony wrote:
...Okay....so, did Ditko intend Strange to be Asian, or not?...

I guess only he, and possibly Stan Lee, really knows for sure. Ditko doesn't give interviews anymore, that I know of, and I don't recall him ever addressing this question in the past.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Come on Chad type it: ASSHOLE! Say it: ASSHOLE!! Dont be so PC.

I usually try to make a show of respecting people who might not appreciate good cussing, by censoring the word. Not really sure why I do that, but it sure isn't PCness.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

"The PC crowd would like to see it made impossible to say anything that could cause offense to anyone, anywhere.

If only they were that well-meaning. A remarkably large number of the people who spend their time criminalising other people's prejudices have no problem whatever with indulging their own.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version