Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Dr. Strange: Oriental look. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hank Hill: So are you Chinese or Japanese?
Minh Souphanousinphone: No, we are Laotian.
Bill Dauterive: The ocean? What ocean?
Kahn Souphanousinphone: From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in South East Asia between Vietnam and Thailand, population approximately 4.7 million!

Hank ponders this for a few seconds.

Hank Hill: So are you Chinese or Japanese?

Edited by Joel Tesch on 25 June 2011 at 1:23pm
Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

"The Orient" was, at one time, used to refer to what we now call the "Middle East."

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

"race-classification (Caucasian, African, Mongoloid)"
---
You might use "group-classification" instead to distinguish groups of physical characteristics amongst human beings.

"Race" doesn't apply to us, certainly not in a scientific point of view.
The whole concept of races has long been a discriminative tool forced upon dominated populations by their would-be superiors.

Let's get rid of such bad habit and learn to apply it adequately to animals.

If you still find some comfort using it to describe humans and want to argue about its legitimacy, ask yourself twice about such disposition.

It's time to think out of the box.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

"If you still find some comfort using it to describe humans and want to argue about its legitimacy, ask yourself twice about such disposition."

This is not about "disposition". "Race" is the word commonly used to describe "group-classification" in humans. We could certainly abandon it, but we do not generally abandon outdated, "un-scientific" language, do we?

When was the last time you heard the word "sunrise" and felt the need to clarify that the person who said it was talking about the iniatition of the phase of the Earth's (approximately) daily revolution around its own centre when their specific location on the surface (with exception for the polar regions and their special circumstances) is exposed to the unreflected light emanating from the sun that the earth in fact revolves around (and not the other way around as the phrase "sunrise" suggests)?

And when was the last time you heard the word "racism" and went "Excuuuse me!  That's group-classification-ism if you'll be so kind."

The word "Race" has been used badly, yes, but the rough classifications that have been called "race" are still useful in describing people, and especially in trying to keep a watchful eye out for racism. We can either continue to educate people that "Race" is merely a classification of physical appearance used to describe people and not a difference in the essential worth of human beings - reclaiming the word - , or we can find another word that we dump  the useful 99% of the word "race" into and then re-educate the world into using that word instead.

I know that it's very PC to say that if a word has been "tainted" and is being used as a pejorative, we should abandon it and find another, safer word that we have to use instead. But all that does is make language inaccessible.

There is no word describing observable differences between groups that will not become a pejorative in the mouth of a bigot. There is no word describing the mentally challenged that will not become a pejorative used to describe people who behave like idiots (excuse the pun).

Words don't become pejoratives because they are used wrong but because of how people feel about what the word describes when used correctly.

The way to "clean" a word is not by using another word for it but by emptying the word of its negative content and reclaiming it for use.

So despite your insinuations, I do not think that using the word "Race" in this context makes me a racist or an apologist for racism. I am well aware of the context and am merely using these terms to be specific and to make myself understood.  

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why don't we just abandon this P.C. garbage in favor of common sense?  All "political correctness" has done is to foster a generation of mewling whining babies who's feelings get hurt over nothing. I say grow up and act like men and women again, if something offends you either don't read it, ignore it or confront it, but don't cry over it like a passle of spoiled brats.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

Seems to me when folks confront it, other people accuse them of "crying".  Is saying, "I dont like that term, please do not use it", crying? Yeah there are some people who whine over the slightest thing and often have no sense of context.

The one thing worse than PC, is people who whine about Political Correctness because it means they cant be assholes anymore. Common sense means thinking before you open your mouth. Being grown up means chosing your words carefully and acting in a polite, respectful manner.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Scott: this post reminds me of the song "Turning Japanese" by the
Vapors....

====

Heh, then you haven't payed attention to the lyrics!

BTW, Patrick Dempsey has expressed interest in playing Dr. Strange.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Way to miss the point Knut because you took it as a personal attack?.
Think of "you" as in adressing to a group and not a person.

Nevertheless, given your reaction, my comments may well apply to you as an individual.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
because it means they can't be assholes anymore.

Sure they can, still no law against being prejudice. At least not on a personal level.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

On a related note, I've never embraced the term "African-American"
because none of my friends to whom it would apply (including my
girlfriend) use it. They all call themselves "Black".

My friends of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent tend to prefer
"Latino/Latina". Friends of Korean, Chinese or Japanese descent tend
to use "Asian" most but accept "Oriental".

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB tells ( I believe) a story about this panel in that another person said something like "And my skin has become Y2Y4!". I just thought it was funny....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

because it means they can't be assholes anymore.

Sure they can, still no law against being prejudice. At least not on a personal level.

Well, let me rephrase. Assholes without consequence.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version