Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Dr. Strange: Oriental look. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

"So does my sister and I'm pretty sure we have no Mongoloid ancestry."

So? Despite Lars' comments (and when are they ever helpful?) "mongoloid features" does not mean mongoloid ancestry. It means having a set of features that are similar to features very common in what is known as the "mongoloid race". Significantly more common than in the other two.

It does not mean that Hungarians look Japanese, it means that isolated features that are very common in the mongoloid race are also very common among (in this instance) hungarians. At least more so than in the caucasian population in general.

I know a lot of Norwegians, "pure bred" so to speak, who look "mediterranean" (Arab /Spanish/ Italian /Greek) without any identifiable link to mediterranean ancestry.  What we think of as "population characteristics" are groupings of features that to a noteworthy degree are statistically more present in one group than in groups it's being compared to. Significantly enough that they are seen as defining physical characteristics.

Back to Top profile | search

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

As an Oriental myself, I dislike this.  I gladly call myself Oriental as do many of my oriental friends (see, even with or without capitalization). 

Sadly, when I've used the term to describe myself I am often "corrected" by people without Asian heritage to speak of.   

Using the term oriental is fine, says the Oriental.  Carry on.

Thank you, if I was called Occidental I don't see how it would be offensive, they're only synonyms for eastern and western(maybe instead of Asian or Oriental, Eastern would be better?). Funny though after I learned a little Japanese I can pretty much tell someone's ethnicity if I hear their name and so never use the terms Asian or Oriental much myself. At work we have an Indian woman newly hired and she gets racial jokes told behind her back (and to her face actually) about every group from Mexico to the Middle east but since hardly any of them bother to learn her last name or understand it's origin they make themselves look even dumber than the usual racist.

Scott Silverstein
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

this post reminds me of the song "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors....

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Is the Dr. Droom material reprinted anywhere? Because now I want it!

Cheers, Jon

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5  

seconded.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Edited versions of some of the stories were reprinted in Weird Wonder Tales #19-22 as "Dr. Druid" stories.  They're all included as part of the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus: 

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Fantasy-Omnibus-v-1/dp/0785124 586/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309011628&sr =1-1

(Although I have to say, the real gems in that volume are the Lee/Ditko collaborations...)

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 7  

I see the original Ditko Strange as possibly Jewish (David Copperfield
a few years back might have been interesting casting).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
"So does my sister and I'm pretty sure we have no Mongoloid ancestry."

So? Despite Lars' comments (and when are they ever helpful?) "mongoloid features" does not mean mongoloid ancestry. It means having a set of features that are similar to features very common in what is known as the "mongoloid race". Significantly more common than in the other two.

It does not mean that Hungarians look Japanese, it means that isolated features that are very common in the mongoloid race are also very common among (in this instance) hungarians. At least more so than in the caucasian population in general.

I know a lot of Norwegians, "pure bred" so to speak, who look "mediterranean" (Arab /Spanish/ Italian /Greek) without any identifiable link to mediterranean ancestry.  What we think of as "population characteristics" are groupings of features that to a noteworthy degree are statistically more present in one group than in groups it's being compared to. Significantly enough that they are seen as defining physical characteristics.

That was the point I was making as well.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

I have a hard time with how people are "offended" by being called Oriental. If I was Asian, I'd much prefer to be "from the Orient" or Oriental. It sounds way more exotic than Asian. Asian sounds like a salad dressing.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I have a hard time with how people are "offended" by being called Oriental"

Well, for quite some time the word was "barnacled" with offensive and racist connotations. Also, the terms Western (occidental) and Eastern (Oriental) base themselves on a world map where Europe (or possibly Rome) is the Center of the Universe. We mostly accept them now as a functional shorthand, but we should at the very least acknowledge that there is an ethnic or cultural bias behind the use of these terms.

I mean, logically Americans should describe China and Japan as the Near West, not the Far East, right?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Since to this day time-zones are internationally based on London being 0 and the ones east of London + and the ones west as -, I think the west and east characterizations still stand...
Also, since Americans call California the far west, calling China or Japan near west would be kinda awkward!!

Edited by Thanos Kollias on 25 June 2011 at 1:06pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jon Tremmeh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think it would be fantastic if this tread became dedicated to people telling people of other ethnicities what they should and shouldn't be offended by. Fantastic. Just fantastic.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version