Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: New Claremont career interview (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Tim O'Neill wrote:
...Did you guys ID artists and writers you liked when you were in your pre-teens and teens?...

Yep, from nearly the beginning of my reading comics. I particualrly enjoyed those comics I saw by two guys named Lee & Kirby (at that point I was reading "Marvel Greatest Superheroes" and other reprints of their work, not the first run, but that didn't bother me a bit). JB was my favorite artist pretty much from the get-go, though, after seeing his work for the first time.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Did you guys ID artists and writers you liked when you were in your pre-teens and teens?...

I was 9 the first time I recognized a change in creative teams on G.I. Joe when Mike Vosburg replaced Herb Trimpe. I didn't like Vosburg as much as Trimpe because I followed G.I. Joe from #1 and Trimpe was the artist until #9. Other titles didn't bother me as much.

Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, of course. The art I could ID right away.

When Archie had an artist I didn't like, I thought they had ran out of money that month or I didn't understand why they had published it.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Did you guys ID artists and writers you liked when you were in your pre-teens and teens?  As far back as I could learn to read, I recognized that a Chuck Jones cartoon was worth ten cartoons by other directors.  I think my IDing artists started with Warner Bros shorts and translated into comics.

Nah, I used to just buy the super heroes I liked. I think the first time I started recognizing individual writers and artists was during the Clone Saga in a "I need to make note to never read anything by these guys again" sort of way.

I kind of wish I could still walk into a comic book store and start buying comic books not worrying about who wrote them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 5  

Did you guys ID artists and writers you liked when you were in your pre-teens and teens?...

••

Definitely! I still recall my joy upon discovering "the guy who draws WONDER WOMAN" working on a new series, METAL MEN. See, WONDER WOMAN was a "girl's book" to my young eyes, so I was not about to "waste" my narrow allotment of comics, severely restricted by my Wertham influenced mother, on WONDER WOMAN when I could be buying something else. Sure did like the art, tho!

It would not be until many years later that I would learn that artist went by the name of Ross Andru, and I would even get to ink one of his jobs during my time as writer on ACTION COMICS. And, of course, since the Universe loves irony, I would eventually find myself the writer and artist on that "girl's book" -- and end up doing more issues than I did of (UNCANNY) X-MEN!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I want that second omnibus to be printed so people are reminded how awful those post JB issues were. It was so disappointing as a kid to see that title fall so far creatively.

••

Yet, the sales just kept going up, and up, and up. . . !!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 7  

I kind of wish I could still walk into a comic book store and start buying comic books not worrying about who wrote them.

••

As one who has benefitted enormously from the "star system", it may make me something of a hypocrite to say so, but I fully agree with you!!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Did you guys ID artists and writers you liked when you were in your pre-
teens and teens?
Rarely the writer-- unless my friends started bringing it up, as was the case
with Frank Miller.

But art made-or-broke comics a lot for me. I sometimes had trouble
pretending the characters were "real" if I didn't like the art. If I liked the art,
my brain would easily go along as if a legend was being passed on to me. If
the art was questionable, I started to feel like men in an office were trying to
sell me super-hero product. I didn't think in those terms, but that's where I
got my first inklings of the commercial nature of comics -- bad art.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB wrote:
Yet, the sales just kept going up, and up, and up. . . !!

Any one know of an easy way on the internet to see how the sales rose?

My first experience with the X-Men was on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and I LOVED them. (Specifically the episode with Prof X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Angel, and Storm.)   I went to the grocery store very often with my mother and kept looking through UNCANNY with the first issue being #155 or #156 (StarJammers cover).  As a nine year old, I found the damn thing impenetrable so I never purchased it.  I'd keep trying whenever I saw it but it wasn't until issue #167 that I found them recognizable and appealing.

To this day I think the Paul Smith issues were the best post-JB issues of UNCANNY in both writing and art. (Though the first run of JRJR had its moments too.) I'm embarrassed to say how long I stuck with the title after that.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

My first exposure to X-Men was a as a kid.  My mom bought me a TPB of the Dark Phoenix Saga that sported a cover by Bill Sienkiewicz.  Loved it.  Cried at the end.  Naturally, I started looking for the comic on the stands.  The first issue I got was the one where Peter has come back from the Secret Wars and breaks up with Kitty.  That hooked me.

I have nothing but fond memories of Chris Claremont's story-telling.  I was a kid who liked grand romantic adventures, and he seemed to understand more than anyone else in the comic book business that these little pamphlets could be Soap Operas.

Far too much of what passes for storytelling in this medium is fixated on minutia concerning power-levels, continuity and "this is epic because we advertise that it is epic".  I'll take Claremont's purplish prose over that any day, since it was accompanied with stories that tried to get at the inner lives of the characters.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

I have nothing but fond memories of Chris Claremont's story-telling. I was a kid who liked grand romantic adventures, and he seemed to understand more than anyone else in the comic book business that these little pamphlets could be Soap Operas.

••

Shooter summed up Chris' strongest ability as a writer. He said Chris would always make you CARE about the smallest character in a story. No one ever died a cipher, for instance.

Recall the first people killed by the demon in the N'Gari story. I just drew a young couple out looking for a Xmas tree. Chris made it their FIRST Xmas tree, as a couple! Brilliant.

And, of course, I have often told the story of how Danny Rand walking thru his parents' old brownstone and "seeing" ghostly images of his childhood -- well, that brought a tear to my eye when I read the published book, even tho I'D DRAWN IT!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

What, I said something NICE about Chris, and everybody is stunned to silence?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version