Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: New Claremont career interview (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 1  

http://www.nycgraphicnovelists.com/2011/06/chris-claremont-o n-evolving-x-men-part.html

That's part 1, which gets up to the beginning of the JB run.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

That's funny - Claremont summed up Cockrum's art vs. JB's (both in the 70's) similar to I have, but better: JB was more 'mature', Dave was more 'fun'.
Back to Top profile | search

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

I don't know...I have more "fun" looking at JB's art than Cockrum's. I would just call it "better."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know...I have more "fun" looking at JB's art than Cockrum's. I would just call it "better."

••

Thanks -- but not at that vintage! I would also disagree with Chris' "mature" description. Dave's work was very mature -- enviably so. As I have mentioned many a time before, I felt very, very, VERY intimidated, following him on X-MEN.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB,

How much do you think Terry's inks added to your pencils during your run? I have always considered the Byrne/Austin combo a great one and would be curious about your assessment. I understand your modesty with regard to your artwork back then. While I have very fond memories of those issues I believe your story telling and rendering have steadily improved with time. I wonder what the art would look like if you were to tackle those stories today.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

Vinny wrote:
...That's funny - Claremont summed up Cockrum's art vs. JB's (both in the 70's) similar to I have, but better: JB was more 'mature', Dave was more 'fun'...

I don't think Claremont was referring to the artwork, but to how both men approached storytelling when plotting with Claremont. At least, that's what it seems Claremont was saying here:

Chris Claremont (From the interview) wrote:
...The difference, to a large extent, was that Dave had a much more prevalent sense of humor. We tended to do stuff that was just ‘Hey, bet you can’t do this!’ He once blew up half of JFK, with 747s going this way, a little Lockheed fourjet coming this way; all of the stuff with Lilandra floating through space and telepathically bonding with Charlie; or elves in Ireland, for God’s sake! The idea was ‘This is comics,’ so it was outrageous and dramatic, but we should be able to have a laugh.

“John was more Canadian: it was a more serious approach, a much more—and I’d hate to say mature, but it was...

Scott Silverstein
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Crockrum drew an amazing Nightcrawler...........but Mr. Byrne your work will stand the test of time............both of you guys are brillaint.....

Edited by Scott Silverstein on 15 June 2011 at 2:48pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

I could be brushing with a broad stroke, then. I have to admit that I don't understand what JB being Canadian has to do with any of this, though! In any case, I'm inclined to agree with either interpretation. Going by my first impressions of both artists as a nine-year-old just starting to read comics comparing DC's 70's and 80's X-Men work, I found JB to be better in several technical respects, but found Dave to be more fun in general, and as a child I think I gravitated more towards the "fun". My favorite X-Men artist is still DC, with JB a close second. IMO JB definitely picked up the "fun" during his FF run, though.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

Dave Cockrum certainly was able to express in his art a marvelous sense of whimsy. Controlled, yet outright. Part of his mastery to balance it so well.

JB too eventually revealed a wonderful comedic touch, but it was not necessarily more mature. Maybe it was more a matter of wit than whimsy.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

Vinny wrote:
... I have to admit that I don't understand what JB being Canadian has to do with any of this, though...

Especially when Claremont is saying that is why JB is more serious, in his view. Some of the funniest people in entertainment are from Canada.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

He's clearly describing his take on his working relationship with each artist, not their artwork.

Everyone in Canada is mature, everyone.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 15 June 2011 at 4:16pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

How much do you think Terry's inks added to your pencils during your run?

That brings to mind a "What if?" question--what if Dave Hunt or Sam Grainger had been JB's inker on X-Men?  What arc would their careers have taken if Terry Austin had hooked up with George Perez or Walt Simonson instead? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version