Topic: Marvel vs. DC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yeah, I'm going thru the ESSENTIALS pretty quick. It's taking me forever to
get thru the SHOWCASE volumes
++++++++
I have not had that problem at all. The showcase Jonah hex, Phantom
stranger and and Enemy Ace were amazing.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 2  

To me the essential qualities of silver age Marvel, compared to DC, were unbridled fantasy and a deeper possibility for reader-identification. To pretend you're Superman is a childish daydream; to think of yourself as being like Ben Grimm or Peter Parker is quite a different matter. The early Marvel books are chaotic, wildly melodramatic and full of things that ignore common sense, but they had an intensity of feeling and a unique power to fire their young readers' imaginations. They made a connection that DC simply couldn't.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, I'm going thru the ESSENTIALS pretty quick. It's taking me forever to get thru the SHOWCASE volumes

++++++++

I have not had that problem at all. The showcase Jonah hex, Phantom stranger and and Enemy Ace were amazing.

••

How did you get on with FLASH, ATOM, SUPERMAN, BATMAN, BATGIRL, ROBIN, ELONGATED MAN, AQUAMAN, etc etc. . . ?

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yeah, I'm going thru the ESSENTIALS pretty quick. It's taking me forever to get thru the SHOWCASE volumes

I enjoy both Essentials and Showcases equally, But I find that I approach them differently. I can read a Marvel Essential all the way through without switching to another title. With DC's Showcases, I'll keep several going at once, alternating as if I were reading them lie monthly comics, an issue at a time. They're both great, just stylistically different. There are exceptions though. The first two Flash volumes, I got through in a flash. I think Flash by Broome and Infantino is my favorite Silver Age DC run. The Kubert Hawkman volume took forever to get through, but only because I kept stopping to stare at the art. Gorgeous stuff in that one!

For most of my life, I would have said, if asked, that I was more of  a Marvel fan than DC. That's switched in recent years. Since I read nothing new from either company, DC has more territory from the past that I have not yet explored, so lately it's been more DC than Marvel for me.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yesterday I read three complete volumes of Marvel Masterworks in a single sitting, I doubt if I could do that with the DC Archive Editions.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

I recently read JLA/Avengers in TPB, and I identified with the Avengers! 

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

When I'm looking for a stack of back issues to reread I often end up with LSH from late 70's to early 80's.  I've enjoyed many DC & Marvel titles, but that's my favorite.  Even though I'm now much older then when I first read them, it's still fun and doesn't feel dated to me.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 8  

Even though cartoons were where I first discovered Marvel and DC heroes, I came to comics via my older brother and his collection. He had more Marvel than DC comics (Avengers, Captain America, Spider-Man,  Fantastic Four and even Conan vs. Weird War Tales and G.I. Combat). My first independently bought comic was G.I. Joe #1 by Marvel so I was a Marvel kid until JB went to DC and then I got into Superman. Other DC titles followed but I still give Marvel the edge.

John Staton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9  

I liked them both from the start. Watched Superfriends, Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, The Incredible Hulk tv show. Ended up with comics from both companies. By the time I got serious in collecting, Byrne's run started on Superman (who was already my favorite character.) When Byrne left I followed him to Marvel and that world really opened up for me. Buying West Coast Avengers, Todd's Hulk run and then his Amazing Spider-Man. She-Hulk of course and became a fan of Alan Davis and Excalibur. I was pretty much die hard Marvel in my younger years but as I got older I wound up back at DC. Byrne's run with Wonder Woman might have had something to do with that...

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 10  

I preferred Marvel in the '70s, but switched to DC around '83 or so.  By '89 I wasn't reading either.  Now I've gone back and fallen in love with Pre-Crisis DC.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

I remember that Marvel tried to be more "mature" than DC during comics' Bronze-Age, Marvel for example would slip in hints of female nudity that you would not find in DC comics of the same period.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

Feels like we've switched topics to what company we enjoy most, so I'll play along.  Marvel.  All the way.  100%.  I did start with DC, mainly Batman and Superman, but once I discovered Spider-Man it was all over.  Marvel got me with characters that felt like me.  Even when they didn't, they found a way to get a kid to associate with an adult through subtle and overt characterizations.  Where DC felt staid and, quite frankly, dull, Marvel exploded off of the page. Although I really love many of the DC characters, the Marvel Universe is the place I wanted to live. Even though I no longer purchase mainstream superhero comics from either company, I still hold a love for what Marvel was.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version