Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Comics are "Dangerous" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 1  

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it because of crap like this why JB was opposed to a universal comic book rating system back in the 80's? Didn't JB say that this exact thing was going to happen if a rating system was implemented?

••

You can find examples of my having predicted pretty much everything that has gone wrong with the comicbook industry, going all the way back to the Seventies, when I was just joining up. In most instances, my only error was that the things I predicted took longer to arrive than I thought they would.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Really, how dangerous can you be if you have to TELL people how dangerous you are? This kind of thing reads to me like that old "these hands are lethal weapons" line you'd hear on a sitcom right before the speaker gets intimidated by a REALLY tough guy. Sad.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Don't any of these guys running Marvel now have kids or remember what it was like to be a kid and read about their characters? If I had kids, I'd certainly want to introduce them to the characters I grew up on, not make those characters into something inappropriate and unappealing to children.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

There is nothing dangerous about pretending that superheroes aren't inherently juvenile.  

I was reading Brevoort's formspring not long ago and someone asked if he ever stopped to think that the problems with the comic industry was mainly the people running it at the moment, including himself. Brevoort responded that he couldn't wait to see what "Comic Industry 2.0" comes up with. I love that he apparently can't fathom anyone being able to do things better than he and his cohorts.

It's plain to see that the execs don't think that the comics themselves will ever make enough profit to matter again, so they allow the people producing the product to more or less do as they will.  Ever notice how most of the toys, games, etc, reflect the "classic eras" of Marvel? There is a reason for this, folks. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

The idiots-that-be at the Big Two forget that the adults who currently read comics mostly started as kids. They also forget that those who clung to the hobby into adulthood and beyond were traditionally viewed as anything BUT the group we should be targeting

This is very true. Sadly, many fans and pros seem to either have forgotten about this or refuse to admit it.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

The problem is that few creators want to write for kids that just want fun stories anymore. Most write to impress their various cliques and cult-of-personalities. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Don't any of these guys running Marvel now have kids or remember what it was like to be a kid and read about their characters? If I had kids, I'd certainly want to introduce them to the characters I grew up on, not make those characters into something inappropriate and unappealing to children.

Many of them do have kids, but they often use the same following two lame and tired excuses to justify the "mature" content in their books.

1. "Kids today are a lot smarter than kids were when you or I were a kid". This statement is often followed up with the obligatory and equally tiresome "Kids are a lot smarter than you give them credit for". Which, of course, is a load of crap. Kids today are no more or less savvy than kids from 30 years ago or 70 years ago.

2. "Kids are exposed to way more adult content today than you or I were when we were kids". This is true depending on the parents and how closely they monitor the types of movies,TV shows,video games,and comics their kids watch,play,and read. However, many (if not most) parents will not allow their kids to view entertainment that they think is inappropriate for their kids.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

"That may be the crux of this matter. When the Disney takeover was announced, there was much muttering about the Mouse-ification of Marvel. This reads a whole lot like Breevort's ham-fisted attempt to quiet such talk. "

Who was doing the muttering outside of outsider speculation on various forums?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

What happened to Brevoort? He was the editor of the Busiek/Perez Avengers from the late '90s, and was pretty much an ode to classic Marvel. This adult enjoyed it, at least, even though it was by and large perfectly suitable for younger audiences as well. Why is he now acting like that just isn't possible?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 10  

Why is he now acting like that just isn't possible?

••

It's an old business ploy to pretend failure is success, and was the plan all along.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 11  

I think kids today are smarter than they give them credit for. Otherwise, the comics aimed at kids and considered "all-ages" wouldn't be dumbed down to 2nd grade level storytelling. Look at regular books that truly appealed to a wide range of ages from pre-teens to adults such as Harry Potter and you'll see a surprising amount of sophistication without resorting to curse words, sexual innuendo or scatalogical humor.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 12  

1. "Kids today are a lot smarter than kids were when you or I were a kid". This statement is often followed up with the obligatory and equally tiresome "Kids are a lot smarter than you give them credit for". Which, of course, is a load of crap. Kids today are no more or less savvy than kids from 30 years ago or 70 years ago.

I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent person and I think I was a reasonably intelligent kid. The comics being produced today by Marvel are an insult to my adult intelligence and I don't think I would have liked them as a kid either. On the other hand, the comics Marvel was putting out when I started reading comics as an 8-year old in 1985 seemed very intelligently written then and I can still derive enjoyment from those stories now as a 34-year old man.

Are kids any smarter or dumber? I don't think so. But those in charge seem a whole lot more oblivious to reality.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version