Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17
Topic: Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol 1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

The 20th Anniversary story hit me like a ton of bricks when I was a kid.  It's my top favorite single issue comic book story.  When JB moved to Fantastic Four, I ordered a subscription.  "Terror in a Tiny Town" was the the first book that came in the mail for the subscription.  It was the first kind of magazine subscription I had period.  And this issue in particular is a "fantastic first".

So when the Omnibus came in the mail yesterday and had the 20th anniversary cover, I was much relieved to see it.  The issues look wonderful - the terrible production on the annual story "Legacy" that appeared in the Visionaries edition has been fixed. 

The issues in this book are such a touchstone to me.  I eagerly awaited each new issue, and was never disappointed.  I thought JB's X-Men was excellent, but this was so much better in my eyes.  I had read Fantastic Four as a kid, but it wasn't something I read at the time.  JB breathed new life into these characters.  They became so much more realized.  And the stories pushed the boundries of the Marvel universe.  These issues made me a Marvel fan.

The consistency represented in this edition is simply amazing.  I was completely engrossed in this book last night.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Terror in a Tiny Town remains a wonderful read to this day and would require virtually no amendments if it were to be used as a blueprint for a movie.

It's so self contained, yet clearly 'writing in the middle'.

Peter Aaron
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've checked a scanned file of that issue and yes, you are completely right, Charles. That page (the one with Cap, Jarvis and the Wasp discussing what's going on) was not part of the original book.

It's actually page #3 from issue #343.  Marvel staff obviously looked at the TPB version, but didn't check the original issues real well.

In regards to the mystery of the new page from the Trial of Galactus TPB, Rod Collins is correct -- there was no new page -- a page from issue #243 was bumped up to the contents from #242 for the TPB.  The special feature at the end of the Omnibus is incorrect -- page 1077 is a duplicate of page 562.  A complete list of the edits made to the Trial of Galactus TPB can be found at the GCD.  There's been some discussion of this over at the Marvel Masterworks forums and one of the researchers from the actual Omnibus was able to confirm.

That said, this is an awesome book!  One of Marvel's best runs on any title.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

All this talk of "Terror in a Tiny Town" made me pull the Visionaries TPB off
the shelf this afternoon and re-read that particular story. It remains one of
the highlights of JB's run—which was filled with highlights, so quite a feat!

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 5  

I have read somewhere that in the FF's 20th anniversary cover Jack Kirby originally appeared next to Stan Lee but it was eliminated and they put the 20th anniversary blurb in his spot. Is it true? Has seen anybody some cover sketches or similar showing him?

Edited by Manuel Soler on 14 November 2011 at 2:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 6  

Amazon has temporarily suspended selling the Omnibus for some vaguely described reason attributed to customer complaints about the content or shipping, etc.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was a little disappointed with the Omnibus after I got it.  My copy didn't have any Lakeside tattoos inside.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

A courier just delivered my copy at 7pm,looks great!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Amazon has temporarily suspended selling the Omnibus for some vaguely described reason attributed to customer complaints about the content or shipping, etc."

The Amazon product description lists issues that are not included in the edition - maybe people are using that as a way to get some kind of discount.

Mine was shrink wrapped in plastic by the publisher, but there was no Amazon bubble packing around it.  It definitely bounced around in the box, but I didn't notice any significant damage.  I'm not a stickler for a books condition, tho -- I tend beat up my books and can live with dents and dings.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Got my copy today--it's a beautiful thing.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Those Amazon suspensions don't last too long, it happened with the New Teen Titans Omnibus too and was quickly resolved.

As for the Byrne Omnibus, mine got a little bumped around too, I have had better shipping from Amazon before, but just a corner got a little wear, no big deal to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Got my copy today from Forbidden Planet UK. It was really well packed and in great condition. I have only had a chance to flick though it, but it is a thing of great beauty. Roll on Vol.2.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 17
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version