Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol 1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Charles Sanders wrote:
"For those concerned about the supposedly missing page from issue #242 or any reproduction issues with issues #255-257, I don't think there are any problems.  I compared the scans of the FF issues from the "44 Years of Fantastic Four" DVD collection to what is in the Omnibus.  Nothing appears to be missing or of dubious quality.  I think the "missing page" was inserted into the "Trial of Galactus" TPB for story flow.  It was not originally in issue #242."

••••••••

I've checked a scanned file of that issue and yes, you are completely right, Charles. That page (the one with Cap, Jarvis and the Wasp discussing what's going on) was not part of the original book.

The wording for the explanation on the Omnibus got me confused, and as I stated before, I have not my own monthlies here with me to compare; and since the inking style completely matches that on the original pages, I wrongly concluded that it had been edited out from the paperback first, and now from the Omnibus Collection.

But, as it happens, it seems I actually got it backwards and this page may had been specifically drawn for the "The Trial of Galactus" paperback. So, in this case, its inclusion here is much welcome.

Is that right, Mr. Byrne? Was that page added to the paperback to help the story's flow?

Anyway, I am sorry for having caused any unnecessary alarm.

Me, I am looking forward already to volume 2, and let's hope it will include some of the extra stuff we are missing on volume 1, like the often mentioned What If? # 36 or the Fantastic Four Chronicles cover art.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I preordered this so long ago that I don't think there was a choice of cover!  Be that as it may, I ended up with the 25th Anniversary cover that Nathan posted a page back.  Haven't cracked it open yet, but am looking forward to it.  After a mysterious $10 promotional credit from Amazon, I ended up paying $48 for a $125 book. Steal of the year for me!

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've checked a scanned file of that issue and yes, you are completely right, Charles. That page (the one with Cap, Jarvis and the Wasp discussing what's going on) was not part of the original book.

It's actually page #3 from issue #343.  Marvel staff obviously looked at the TPB version, but didn't check the original issues real well.

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

I decided not to get this, even though I love the material, since the Marvel Omnibus volumes are too big and unwieldy for my tastes and I'm not big on glossy paper for material of this vintage. I wish this and other pre-90s comics were done in the same format DC uses for the Kirby Omnibuses (Omnibi?); they're pretty perfect in my eyes.

Garett Stehle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not a big fan of the glossy paper either, but I'm glad that I have one coming from Discount Comic Book Service.
This youtube video has me excited that it's on its way.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I just received The New Teen Titans Omnibus a couple of weeks ago, and
the Byrne FF Omnibus is on the way. It's My Personal Golden Age all over
again!

Kent Bingham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

The Fantastic Four isn't the only one celebrating a 50th birthday this year. Today I turned 50 and the one extra present I threw in was this John Byrne FF Omnibus. I have a special fondness for these issues. I was out of the country for a couple of years, living in Argentina when John started his writer-artist run with "Back to Basics" in issue #232, so for the most part, I didn't get to see these for a couple of years. During this time I had a friend living in Guatemala who found a place there that was selling American comics, and he bought me a bunch of John Byrne FF issues, as well as some Frank Miller Daredevil and Claremont/Cockrum (post Byrne) X-Men. It was awesome getting that stash of comics and getting to read those stories. It was a little taste of home, so when I opened this book today, it brought back all kinds of fun memories from my early 20's. Truly classic stuff!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jose M Mendez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 8  

Greg Nyman wrote:
I decided not to get this, even though I love the material, since the Marvel Omnibus volumes are too big and unwieldy for my tastes and I'm not big on glossy paper for material of this vintage. I wish this and other pre-90s comics were done in the same format DC uses for the Kirby Omnibuses (Omnibi?); they're pretty perfect in my eyes.

••••••••

Greg, if thats your main concern, I hate glossy paper myself for most materials, more so for stuff of some age, but the paper stock used here has a nice balance between glossy and matte, and it absorbs printing inks quite well so line does not get bloated and color don't oversaturate.

I would have preferred even more matte myself, but this one does the job quite well.

As for size, I have to agree with you. This much thickness makes it not easy to handle, and I don't favor enlargement of pages that were originally printed smaller.

But, all in all, warts and all, this makes a pretty impressive package to indulge yourself.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 9  

I ended up with the 25th Anniversary cover that Nathan posted a page back.

••

That was the 20th Anniversary cover, Matt! As hard as that is to believe, with the 50th Anniversary having just drifted by!

(No pressure, right? My FIFTH issue as writer and artist on FANTASTIC FOUR was "only" their 20th Anniversary!!)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 10  

You handled it pretty darn well...

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 11  

Uh...yeah. Arguably one of the greatest FF stories ever.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 12  

For the 20th Anniversary issue, Shooter instructed me to do "Fantastic Four - The Movie."*

This set up in my mind a particular challenge: come up with a story that would contain all the information needed by a "movie audience", ie, a group of people mostly unfamiliar with the characters, but present it in a way that would seem fresh to long-time readers, who had seen the origin retold many times.

-----

* How times changed! That was ALL the input I got from Shooter on that issue. Just a few years later, I would have been more inclined to expect him to demand a few hundred rewrites (the writer as Shooter's waldo, in other words), or even take the issue for himself, the way he "rewarded" himself with SECRET WARS.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version