Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol 1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

I wonder if Amazon might have mistakenly thought this was part of
DC's relaunch, as it was a 52% discount from the cover price of
$125.00!

-----

When it was first solicited, Amazon was told or assumed that the
omnibus was at the $99 price point, so that price represents a 40%
discount off of $99. I'm glad I pre-ordered early.
Back to Top profile | search

Ian Carroll
Byrne Robotics Member
King Of Pain

Posted: 08 November 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB Wrote:  >>Speaking of Amazon, they are still offering the collection of MARVEL TEAM-UP stories Chris and I did. Am I remembering correctly that this does NOT have the Red Sonja story in it?<<

As several confirmed, the new Claremont & Byrne Marvel Team-Up collection unfortunately does not include MTU #79, "Sword of the She-Devil."  But tonight at a used book store, I found a Marvel-published trade paperback that does!

It's called Mighty Marvel Team-Up Thrillers (1983), "Presented by Stan Lee" in the style of the earlier Fireside volumes, right down to a painted must-be-Bob-Larkin cover:

It's great to read what Stan had to say about our host in his intro:

Sadly, the spine of the book cracked when I foolishly tried to flatten the page to take the picture above.  I guess I'll be able to slide the pages of MTU #79 into the new trade paperback now!  I think it's one of the best Claremont/Byrne/Austin/Orzechowski/Glynis Wein productions not to have an "X" in the title!  (What a sexy MJ/Sonja, too.)

Edited by Ian Carroll on 08 November 2011 at 11:15pm

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 3  

one of the best Claremont/Byrne/Austin/Orzechowski/Glynis Wein productions not to have an "X" in the title!
++
Er, is there any other? Starlord didn't originally have color, so I am not sure it counts.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jose M Mendez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 4  

I've just got my copy from Amazon, and just had the time to leaf through it.

While I don't particularly like the Omnibus approach (I'd rather have the smaller –both in size and page count– TPB collections in hardcover), production values are quite good, paper stock is right (not that glossy atrocity from the early Masterworks) and, fortunately, they kept the old coloring instead of going the "improving" way of the recent Simonson's THOR (I had to pass up that one because of it).

But, from that first brief contact, I have a question: why line reproduction looks so much worse (it looks like some shoddy, xerox copy on same pages) for issues 255-257? I seem to remember it was the same on the "Visionaries" paperback, so this must trace back to the source materials. While I own the original monthlies, I don't have them with me to compare, but, if memory serves me, these were not published during the much dreaded "flexographic" phase of Marvel, so why is there no better printing film or plates for these issues?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

As several confirmed, the new Claremont & Byrne Marvel Team-Up collection unfortunately does not include MTU #79, "Sword of the She-Devil." But tonight at a used book store, I found a Marvel-published trade paperback that does!

----

The story is also reprinted in the collection of the joint Marvel-Dynamite Spider-Man/Red Sonja series that came out a few years ago. That series wasn't very good though. But because of that, you can find the book really cheap.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

fortunately, they kept the old coloring instead of going the "improving" way of the recent Simonson's THOR (I had to pass up that one because of it).

I would consider that to be in the "unfortunately" category. I LOVED the recoloring that Simonson's THOR Omnibus received and was really hoping that this Ominibus would get the same.That's disappointing...oh well, still looking forward to receiving this from Amazon today or tomorrow.

Jose M Mendez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

"fortunately, they kept the old coloring instead of going the "improving" way of the recent Simonson's THOR (I had to pass up that one because of it)."

I would consider that to be in the "unfortunately" category. I LOVED the recoloring that Simonson's THOR Omnibus received and was really hoping that this Ominibus would get the same.That's disappointing...oh well, still looking forward to receiving this from Amazon today or tomorrow.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree there.

I am all for archival editions that try to offer as good a presentation as possible, but without betraying the original materials. So, in my book (no pun intended), good quality paper stock and printing are right, but any tweaking (be it redrawing any portions, a la Neal Adams on his BATMAN hardcover collections, or "improved" color) are wrong.

And I can not stress how fortunately feel in that regard here, because, while you lament the original color but are still looking forward to this Onmibus, a recoloring work would have been a deal breaker for me, as it was for Simonson's THOR Omni.

By the by, I can understand Mr. Byrne not wanting anything to do with this collection or Marvel as a whole, but, as a Byrne fan and from that perspective, I regret the lack of any "behind-the-scenes" stuff of any substance (no, I wouldn't consider the computer-colored covers for the "Visionaries" paperbacks as substantial ;-D ).

Jose M Mendez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh!

And just one more thing. Apparently, one page was ommited from issue # 242 when the story was collected on paperback as "The Trial of Galactus", and, if we are to believe the editorial text, this was done for pacing purposes, to "give the story a seamless flow".

Besides the fact that I find it hard to believe such explanation, I cannot fathom why Marvel decided to take the same approach here and edit the page out again from its rightful place in the book, only to offer it in the back as part of the "supplemental" material.

Color me perplexed.

Edited by Jose M Mendez on 09 November 2011 at 5:14pm

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

My local comic shop had JB's Fantastic Four Omnibus when I went by this evening and it took all my willpower not to buy it.  (I put it on my Christmas list and I'm hard enough to shop for as it is without removing things from the list.)  One more reason for me to look forward to the holidays!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

These higher ticket items are really going to be the death of the local comic shop. It is easier to buy comics from the local shop out of loyalty for full price when the online discount may only save a buck per book or less.

But how can anyone justify buying this book from their local retailer for $125 when Amazon sells it for $65?

I feel for the local shops... They just can't compete anymore...

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'll get it from my shop for about 80 bucks. Maybe 75. 

I feel bad for people who go to regular comic shops and don't get the discounts I do from mine. It also makes supporting local businesses an easier choice than ordering from Amazon to save a few bucks. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

I bought mine today! This cover...

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version