Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol 1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

It doesn't do the full run?  Damn - then including that earlier stuff feels like padding

I would much rather they just started with #232

Back to Top profile | search

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Yeah, Marvel loooves to stretch these things out into 2 $125 volumes.

Volume 2 will likely have #263-295, The Phoenix Rising tie in issues, the last 2 annuals, and probably some issues of Namor.

The other thing Marvel is notorious for is never releasing the second volume. (Still waiting on volume 2 of the Uncanny X-men Omnibus. Vol1 cutoff in the middle of the Dark Phoenix saga for cripes sake!_

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

Speaking of Amazon, they are still offering the collection of MARVEL TEAM-UP stories Chris and I did. Am I remembering correctly that this does NOT have the Red Sonja story in it?

JB, if you're referring to the Essentials Marvel Team-Up volume 3,
which has your and CC's work from #59-#70, then, no, the Red Sonja
story is not included.

I think he's referring to the new TPB coming out in Dec. I'm surprised to hear the RS story didn't make the cut.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think there's a copyright concern, not a cut from an editorial perspective.

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel no longer has the rights to Red Sonja or Conan. I'm curious since Dark Horse doesn't have the rights to Red Sonja does that mean they can't reprint the Conan stories she appears in? I have the 'Essential' size reprints of Savage Sword and the 2 volumes of KING CONAN but I haven't read them all yet and I don't collect the reprints of CONAN THE BARBARIAN (if they were in the black and white 'Essential' format I probably would).

Ian Carroll
Byrne Robotics Member
King Of Pain

Posted: 05 November 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was really looking forward to getting the Omnibus, and pre-ordered it on Amazon back in May.  That was back when the contents of the book were still going to be as Dan describes above (in other words, through the "Trial of Galactus" material).  But back in August Marvel staffer Jeph York announced a content shift on the Marvel Masterworks Forum:

(I tried to install a hyperlink, but it didn't take.)

>>Okay, I got the nod from my editors to discuss it. Here's what's going on:

We're adding FF #209-214, Byrne's first issues. We originally left them out because they were parts 6-11 of a big sweeping saga that was already collected separately -- but we eventually decided it would be cooler in the long run to have this Omnibus collect the ENTIRE Byrne era. So #209-214 are in there now, along with a quickie recap of #204-208.

To make room, we dropped Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #42 - it's pretty well recapped in FF #218 anyway. We also bumped Alpha Flight #4 and FF #261-262 off the end of the book and into volume 2. Now this volume ends with the dismal defeat of Dr. Doom, which is a pretty good stopping point.

So there you have it. Gaining FF #209-214, losing Spectacular #42 for good, bumping Alpha Flight #4 and FF #261-262 into the next volume. The book expanded by 16 pages.

Hope you like!

-Jeph!<<

I don't like.

I had some problems with the original running order.  Like many here, I would have preferred the volume beginning with FF #232 and concluding with #262 (including Annual 17 and Alpha Flight #4, and also the oft-overlooked What If #36, placed after FF #250).  Then the remaining issues of JB's run could have been collected in volume two.  To me, it's not JB's FF if he isn't writing as well as drawing.*

All this pre-232 stuff belongs in a "Byrne FF Companion" akin to the Miller DD Companion volume.  To see it bump the conclusion of JB's Galactus epic out of the Omnibus Volume 1 is irksome to say the least. 

I'm not gonna cancel my pre-order, though.

*Not much we can do about #294-295, and hey, it's Roger Stern!  He's right up there with JB in my book.  (If only he could have handled #296 too.  The 1986 Stan Lee scripting from a Jim Shooter plot does not a classic make.  Nuff said?)

Edited by Ian Carroll on 05 November 2011 at 11:42pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 7  

I actually like what they're including in this first volume.  I think it's pretty nifty to have JB's first FF work included even though he didn't write it.  And really, who am I kidding?  I'll be getting both Omnibus volumes so whether issues are in this volume or the next, I'll have them all in two nicely bound and rather large books.  Win for me!

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 8  

The changes irk me as well. I'd planned on getting both, but I think ending the first volume on a cliffhanger is lame.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 9  

I got tired of waiting for the JB Marvel Team-Up trade paperback, so I hunted down the original issues.  I was able to get everything except #79, the Red Sonja team-up featuring CC/JB/TA. 

It is printed in a trade, but not by Marvel.  I eventually picked it up in a trade published by Dynamite.  The edition features it along with Michael Oeming and Mel Rubi's Spider-Man/Red Sonja reunion from 2007.  MTU #79 was well worth hunting down - "Sword of the She-Devil" is excellent!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 10  

Ian C:  "All this pre-232 stuff belongs in a "Byrne FF Companion" akin to the Miller DD Companion volume.  To see it bump the conclusion of JB's Galactus epic out of the Omnibus Volume 1 is irksome to say the least."

I agree.  And I think they are milking this to get a second omnibus.  These pre-232 issues were not even published in a trade paperback until they had published eight Visionary editions -- JB FF VISIONARIES #0 was published last as there was no real demand for these issues.

I don't even think I've even read 209-214 - I should look these up on the DVD ROM.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ian Carroll from Jeph York wrote:
We're adding FF #209-214, Byrne's first issues. We originally left them out because they were parts 6-11 of a big sweeping saga that was already collected separately -- but we eventually decided it would be cooler in the long run to have this Omnibus collect the ENTIRE Byrne era. So #209-214 are in there now, along with a quickie recap of #204-208.

I got to write the quickie recaps!  Which was fun for me, for two reasons: Because issue #209 was roughly the point where I first "met" the Fantastic Four as a kid.  And because this means I'll have my name in a book with John Byrne!  My contribution being but two pages of boring text out of over 1000 pages of amazing story and art, but I'm still excited about it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

…this means I'll have my name in a book with John Byrne!

••

I know how that feels! Some years back Marvel published an otherwise worthless trade paperback collection of "battle scenes" from FANTASTIC FOUR. Basically, a bunch of out-of-context pages, but it meant I got the see cover credits that said…

STAN LEE
JACK KIRBY
JOHN BYRNE

If I had dropped dead that day, I would have done so contentedly!

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version