Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Multiversity"

Already an announced project from Grant Morrison.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Multiversity"

Already an announced project from Grant Morrison.

...a project announced two years ago, and thus far is no closer to publication as far as we know than it was back then.

I have a hard time believing Morrison has even penned one script for the series given the delays of Batman, Inc., little lone has the series ready for publication next year. 

So until I see an official solicitation...I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

Regarding the Golden Age, I just picked up Volume Nine of the Superman Chronicles, possibly my favorite book being published right now. In the first story, reprinted from Action Comics #48 from 1942, Kent and Lane investigate the rise in automobile collisions and brake failures across the city. One takes place directly in front of them and as they assist the family trapped inside their car. The wife says, "Dying-- John's dying-- And to think we just bought the car a few hours ago-- invested all our savings..." Clark notices the car has no brake linings.

He gets mad. "Lois, those unfortunate people had just purchased a second-hand auto under the impression that it was in good condition, but, from the way the car weaved before the crash happened, it's obvious the mechanism was defective!"

Lois is also furious. "Of all the despicable crimes! Whoever sold that car must have known it was faulty... but didn't give a hang about what tragedy might happen to the purchasers!"

They petition their editor: "White, I want your permission to bust this vicious used car racket wide open!"
White: "Go to it, Clark!"
Lois: "I knew we could count on you for the "go" signal!"

The sleazy crook who runs one of the lots selling these heaps calls his boss: "But "Top"-- I can't help it if this dumb cluck of a reporter is campaigning for city supervision of used auto sales--!"

Clark and Lois pursue the story, run afoul of the crime bosses, survive a couple of death-traps, and Superman pursues the man in charge so relentlessly, he attempts escape in one of his own prettified wrecks, dying in a fiery blaze.

Ah, yes...

Shall we imagine how go-to-it, edgy Fox News Reporter Clark Kent would handle this story today...? "People should take more responsibility for their actions, Lois! Look at the number of auto accidents in the city these days!"
"How true, Clark! Still, a few deaths of intensely poor drivers is the price we pay to live in a free society!"

One of the crashes takes place directly in front of them! "Dying-- John's dying--"
"Caveat Emptor, Miss! Your husband was a fool not to inspect this car more carefully before purchasing! You have no one to blame but yourselves!"

The two reporters nevertheless investigate the auto dealership where the staff repairs junked cars and wrecks, tricking them out with auto body repair work and fancy upolhestry. "Ah, Lois, the small businessman at work. Does the heart good, does it not?"
"Look at those guys go at it! Someday, this place could be as big as General Motors!"
The owner comes by. "Glad to see youse guys got some unnerstanding of what it takes to run a business in this city! People want cars! I can't help that! I gotta work these guys 24/7 to put out product for the cash-in-hand public! We get 'em from anywheres we can find 'em, make 'em nice lookin', and put 'em back out on the road for decent hard-workin' folk, like yerselves! Y'know, some mooks wanna get the gummermint involved in this beauteous process...?"
Everyone shares a laugh at the complete idiocy of this.
"The Daily Planet salutes you, friend!" Lois and Clark wave goodbye and walk out into the clean, American sunshine.

Gag a maggot, indeed. Gag a maggot indeed...

Edited by Brian Hague on 11 June 2011 at 10:04pm

Jesse Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

"What do you guys think will be the name of the CRISIS that will reunite all 52 books next year?"

FLASHBACK !!

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

So much whinging! No-one's forcing you to buy these comics people. Vote with your wallets. Read back issues. Only buy collected runs. Go exclusive with IDW!

The saving grace for me with this "reset" is the same day/date digital release. I'll be able to sample new content for less than the price of an air-freighted paper copy, and have no guilt about letting down my comic shop proprietor, who would likely have ordered the title for me 2-3 months ahead, if I choose to stop buying a title.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
FLASHBACK !!

lol It's like we're seeing the future!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
So much whinging! No-one's forcing you to buy these comics people. Vote with your wallets. Read back issues. Only buy collected runs. Go exclusive with IDW!

I was gonna buy 6 series, but talking and reading this thread, I decided I'll only go with the 1 series who's drawn by my fav artist and that's it.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Joe Hollon wrote:
Superhero comics have fallen into this never-ending cycle of one-upsmanship. Each story has to be bigger than the previous one. It's not good enough to tell a decent, 22 page Batman story
That's one thing that's really turned me off to comics these days. The pretentious writing that's been going on. I've recently read Roger Stern's Avengers Under Siege storyline for the first time. A darn good read. But you know what? Not once did Stern passively exclaim throughout the story "Stand Back! This is a sophisticated arc that will be talked about 20 years from now!" No "Under Siege" banner on the covers, either. It just told a good story without the theatrics that you'd find these days.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 12 June 2011 at 12:58am

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 9  

>>What do you guys think will be the name of the CRISIS that will reunite all 52 books next year?<<

Jesse's "Flashback" has a good ring to it, my first thought was "Backest Pedal"

Edited by Troy Nunis on 12 June 2011 at 1:15am

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 10  

During the last decade, Marvel became a big disappointment to me.
Decompression, comic book for readers ashamed to read comics, static art, big hype for everything.

I decided it was the right moment to give something else a try, and I started picking DC backissues (with JB's Superman as the first choice).

I was so hooked by the DC Universe that I subscribed soon to various American titles... I wanted the new storylines without waiting for the Italian edition.

All the Superman titles, Batman, Flash, Generations 3 by JB, later Green Lantern and JLA... plus reprints, miniseries, one shots.

DC Universe was "my universe", I felt thrilled for most of the new stuff released and I could barely wait to read the latest issues of Superman or Green Lantern.

I would had never thought someday I would had dropped almost every title, remaining with just three books: Action Comics, Superman and Aquaman. With Aquaman bought just for the amazing artwork by Ivan Reis. This means once he leaves, I'll follow just one DC character, Superman, the one I'd never leave.
It's not my fault: the new books, looking at the solicits, simply are unappealing to me.
Johns' Green Lantern? It had to come to an end with Blackest night. It was my favorite ongoing, but when a writer writes everything he could write, he should pass to something else.
Flash? Big fan of Manapul here, but they will not fool me again. I have bought the relaunched Flash for two years (Rebirth and ongoing) and where was the story? It was merely a prologue to all this. Two years!
Batman? Is anyone other than Morrison having fun with his continuity rewriting/rationalization/"fixing"?
I appreciated Finch's series, but c'mon, two issues in six months...

Man, I really hope they can attract new readers with this revamp, because I wonder how many old readers will see this as an ending point, more than as a starting point for the DCU.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 11  

Re: the link Chad posted: 

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/06/03/friday-f rom-the-cheap-seats/  

I like how stridently the writer makes his case for his "thought eight", that with these new titles and DCs attempt to gain new readers, the comics MUST come out on time.  Because digital audiences want their content on time.  Lovely sentiment, but didn't paper audiences, for DECADES want their content on time?  Marvel and DC, starting in the 90s, certainly seemed to not give a shit that audiences expected content on time.  Not only that, but they re-conditioned that existing audience to accept and expect that titles would be late!  I honestly don't see that corporate/creative mindset, that late titles are "worth it", changing any time soon, sad as that is.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 12  

I really hope they can attract new readers with this revamp, because I wonder how many old readers will see this as an ending point, more than as a starting point for the DCU.

Frencesco, as an "older" reader, an ending point is exactly how I see this relaunch. The DC Universe doesn't really hold my interest anymore.  Marvel isn't really doing much better, but I have more of an emotional investment in the characters.

Pretty soon the only things I will be picking up on a monthly basis are books by JB and the Mignolaverse titles from Dark Horse. At least I know I'll by picking up works of quality rather than wasting my time and money.

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version