Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Chad: "Did the Shadow's most trusted agents know his identity?"

I think a handful of them might have, but then it's not like he ever used it. :-)

Chad, "What I mean is, get rid of continuity. I mean all of it"

You say that, but if you think about it, that hasn't really been an approach that has historically worked for 99% of the characters.  Books were pretty continuity free in the 40s, and only a small percentage of super-hero characters managed to survive into the 50s, most of which were gone halfway into the decade.  Heck, two characters (Green Arrow and Aquaman) only survived because DC still had a desire for back-up features back then.

DC in the Silver Age tried a more continuity neutral approach at first in the Silver Age, but by the end of the 60s (1972 tops) most of those series had been cancelled as well.  Aside from the Big Three, the Flash is the only who made it.  (I feel weird counting the Justice League.) 

Marvel was built on continuity and continuing plotlines so a "countinuity free Marvel" would be something never seen before.

So really, you have Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman.  By the 60s, Superman had built up a pretty complex world around himself, Batman is rumored to have been marked for cancellation, and supposedly Wonder Woman mainly thrived because of her licensing potential. 

Hard to call it a defendable approach.

But if you're going to do it, you also have to be prepared to have the characters you like tossed as soon as sales dipped and revived in unrecognizable forms if they do decide to trot them out again (see what happened with Jay Garrick and the original X-Men).

Edited by Dave Phelps on 11 June 2011 at 12:37pm
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

52 books and just one (I, Vampire) that I have even a passing interest in looking at -- and I doubt I will. 

I guess the comic book industry has now shrunk to little more than 60,000 regular readers?  I've never thought much about it, but that's pathetic.  That's 0.019% of the US population.  I wonder why a huge corporation like Time Warner even bothers with such a piddly little business?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Chad Carter wrote: "And it all makes Batman creepy as sh*t, if he's been sneaking boys into his twisted Batworld as partners for decades. I mean, really."

There's a memorable Marshal Law story in which a long-standing Batman character known as the Public Eye takes on a new sidekick every few months or so. As it turns out, he trains them, exercises them, and then, when they're at peak performance, harvests them for their organs in order to keep himself young and rejuvenated. He's apparently been at this for awhile...

Dave Phelps wrote: "In the Julius Schwartz period they did a "Superman (or maybe Clark Kent) No More"ish kind of story (#296-299), but it was four issues in one title rather than an 8 month event, you know?"

I remember that series of issues well, Dave. Not that it was necessarily influential upon the modern era, but as it was an unusually long story it was notable for the mid-70's. That's the story wherein it's suggested that Lois and Clark spent an evening together. As I recall, a line about her showing up for work the next day in the same dress was edited out. Plus, it was also collected for a trade paperback called the Great Superman Comic Book Collection alongside other, more classically vintaged tales. That was back in 1981.

Longer stories, adult content, writing for the trade... Damn that Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin! It's all their fault!! Y'know, Maggin's the one who created Superboy-Prime... I'm just sayin'... :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

Here's an article about some *possible* changes with regards to Superman:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/11/grant-morrisons-super man-the-liberal-activist/

What's funny about this is that JB more or less did the same thing 25 years ago (with obvious differences), and was BLASTED for it.  Yet because this is Grant Morrison, if his Superman is less powerful and more humanized, fans will roll out the red carpet for him and talk about what a breath of fresh air it is.

Whatever.  I still love Man of Steel. 

Edited by Kirk Campbell on 11 June 2011 at 2:43pm

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

@Kirk

While JB certainly took some heat for his run, it was also hugely successful and has essentially remained the default (with occasional tweaks) ever since. It's not as if the naysayers crippled sales. Sometimes you just have to tune them out, which is tough in the age of the internet, but maybe the only sane thing to do.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Superman the liberal activist

Gag a maggot!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wasn't Superman considered as a liberal activist because he originally
went after people like corupt landlords? Of course his means for
dealing with them were definitely not liberal.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

From what I've seen, that's correct, Kip. I've only read a handful of Golden Age Superman stories, but he did seem to be going after the corrupt politicians and war profiteers and so on. Not that those are uniquely liberal causes, either.

In any case, Morrison only mentioned the liberal activist thing in the context of an old interview talking about directions he considered for All-Star Superman. If he returns to the idea, I suspect it'll be in a hybridized form. Based on the solicitation for Action, the one thing we can be pretty sure is that Superman won't be completely trusted by the people. Maybe a little more that roughhouser from his Golden Age days?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
What's funny about this is that JB more or less did the same thing 25 years ago (with obvious differences), and was BLASTED for it.  Yet because this is Grant Morrison, if his Superman is less powerful and more humanized, fans will roll out the red carpet for him and talk about what a breath of fresh air it is.

WHERE ARE THOSE STUPID FANS when GM is doing his CREATOR OWNED PROJECTS? That's what I don't understand.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 11 June 2011 at 8:50pm

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

To my own surprise, I see eight titles I'd like to have a look:

BATMAN AND ROBIN
DEMON KNIGHTS
SUPERBOY
LOSH
BLACKHAWKS
I, VAMPIRE
TEEN TITANS
ALL-STAR WESTERN

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

For me,

Both Legion books, but I am already getting LOSH/Adventures Comic
so this is just continuing
Teen Titans
Firestorm
Justice League of America or whatever they are calling the Johns/Lee
book.
Superboy (another title I was already collecting)

And

Superman--Perez version, a maybe but may get that as trades.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

What do you guys think will be the name of the CRISIS that will reunite all 52 books next year?

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version