Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

I will say, I'm a little conflicted over what I'm hearing about Superman from the solicitation.

On the one hand, a Superman who is viewed as "suspect", an antagonist, might be an interesting take considering it would harken to his 1930s sensibilities. It's sort of 1960s Spider-Manizing of the Man of Steel today, which does kind of appeal to me. And it does create an "individual"ness to Superman, if he's that powerful and yet not everybody's most trusted hero. Again, like classic Spider-Man, which isn't a bad thing at all.

At the same time, I'm also thinking, "Really? I mean, Superman has been Truth/Justice/American Way for 70 years. He's supposed to be a symbol of liberty, larger than life. If you're not interesting in that, don't publish the character any more."

So what should it be? A revitalized but maybe edgy Superman, or a thoroughly-heroic, thoroughly-tranditional Superman?

Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

had HOPE that they would not fuck up Superman....  but what the hell is that shit for Action #1?  I hate judging books by their covers, but c'mon.

It's Matt Wagner's MAGE. lol

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Is this REALLY going to be the cover of Green Lantern #1?

http://s1.torbit.com/img/1abbcdbe52f5a9816caf6df326d207678b3 fba03-8ea4f7e41b21480a9f51f731b1f552c744fd17c9-gl_cv1_teaser -682x1024.jpg

If so, definitely count me out.

:-(

Edited to add:

Oh, look -- it's Batman Beyond, and he has heat vision!

Batman Beyond . . . er . . . Nightwing?

Edited by John Bodin on 10 June 2011 at 10:01pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32748

Just reiterating, if people are seeking the whole shebang overview of all 52 titles.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

Man, there's a LOT of suck coming out. A LOT OF SUCK.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 6  

Chad Carter wrote:
I will say, I'm a little conflicted over what I'm hearing about Superman from the solicitation.

On the one hand, a Superman who is viewed as "suspect", an antagonist, might be an interesting take considering it would harken to his 1930s sensibilities. It's sort of 1960s Spider-Manizing of the Man of Steel today, which does kind of appeal to me. And it does create an "individual"ness to Superman, if he's that powerful and yet not everybody's most trusted hero. Again, like classic Spider-Man, which isn't a bad thing at all.

At the same time, I'm also thinking, "Really? I mean, Superman has been Truth/Justice/American Way for 70 years. He's supposed to be a symbol of liberty, larger than life. If you're not interesting in that, don't publish the character any more."

So what should it be? A revitalized but maybe edgy Superman, or a thoroughly-heroic, thoroughly-tranditional Superman?

And, of course, it's hard to know whether that snippet from the solicit is just a story hook in the first issue or a broader mission statement.

Based on All-Star Superman, it seems clear to me Morrison's got a great deal of love for the classic, Silver Age depiction of Superman as totally benevolent (and accepted) hero. But he's also made a career out of stories distrusting authority and the status quo.

It seems that legally DC really can't go wholly traditional, so whatever incarnation of Superman we get, we can be nearly certain they'll change his origin to accommodate the Siegel lawsuit. I wonder if Morrison will start with something relatively familiar in comic book circles - Superman as refugee, say, from an alternate dimension - or go decidedly more "Morrison" (the collective conscious of humanity WILLS Superman into existence as their protector, but their collective paranoia and insecurities make him innately suspicious to them).

I like a decent chunk of what Morrison writes and I'm quite a fan of Rags Morales. Identity Crisis, as loathsome as the story was, had some amazing art and storytelling. They're one of the few creative teams that would lead me to try a largely retooled Superman.

With trepidation and a little bit of hope, I look to Action Comics #1.

Edited by Tim Farnsworth on 11 June 2011 at 12:07am

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32748

SGT ROCK based in modern times has me mildly interested. I've never heard of the writer, which is probably a good thing.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 8  

What characters that are missing from the reboot would you have liked to have seen in a new book?

The only books I am currently picking up from DC are Booster Gold and Zatanna and both books are gone. I started getting Booster Gold when Jurgens came back to the book just recently. I've really enjoyed Paul Dini's work on Zatanna. I don't even see his name on any of the new books, which is a shame.

I'm surprised there is no Captain Marvel book. Secret Six seems to be a popular book that is now gone. The JSA is missing too.

What else is missing that should be there?

As I'm typing this I keep thinking that it doesn't matter what is missing since there would have been some awful new costume and the stories are all suspect until proven otherwise. Maybe it's better if DC doesn't  reboot Captain Marvel.

Also, the more I look at some of the titles and new designs the more I keep thinking that this will all lead into something different. There are a lot of titles that seem to have limited lasting power and what we have seen of the new character designs just don't give me the feeling of long term. Maybe this plays into the 52 different Earth idea that some of you have mentioned?

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 9  

I will look at Batwoman and OMAC (because I enjoy the artists).  The rest I have zero interest in.

What is happening to iZombie?  

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 10  

"It seems that legally DC really can't go wholly traditional, so whatever incarnation of Superman we get, we can be nearly certain they'll change his origin to accommodate the Siegel lawsuit. "

There's nothing they can do to "accomodate the Siegel lawsuit". It's a "fruit of the poisonous tree" thing. Unless there's a judge who renders a solomonic judgement (highly unlikely), DC can't build a new Superman. Just like the Siegels can't use any of DC's work-for-hire embellishments if they reclaim the property and take it elsewhere, DC comics can't "fill up" the "empty space" in what's left with anything resembling Siegel and Shuster's pre-sale version of Superman.

He can't be Kryptonian, male, caucasian, dark haired, wear a blue suit with a red cape, get his powers because of gravity differences (jmaybe sunlight) be super strong and jump really high, be found and adopted, know someone resembling Lois Lane etc. Etc.

At best you'd basically end up with a character like the African-American Ms Marvel (or is it Photon? With the white uniform? ).

DC and the Siegel/Shuster estates need eachother in order for the property to remain valuable. It's not just about the character currently being published, it's about 75 years of accumulated materials that can be reprinted, reissued or rereleased. A complete split will turn all that valuable material into landfill.

The lawsuit is simply about percentages of the profit. That's it.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 11  

Hmm, I thought it was largely Superman's ORIGIN that was at stake - Krypton, Jor-el, the rocket to earth, etc. - and so DC would only need to change the origin, not Superman's visual design or powers.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 12  

I for one am thankful that DC hasn't included the Marvel Family in this reboot, Lord knows they've done enough damage to them already. Case in point....

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version