Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Whenever I hear vague mention of the 'new audience/reader' being lulled in to buying DC (either hardcopy or digitally) due to these changes, I keep expecting to see a solicitation that gives away the revelation that this 'new reader' is really a new fictional DC supporting character.

Because that's what this 'new reader' is likely to be here on old Earth-Prime. Fictional.

Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

>>>You know, one thing I just noticed. Some of the characters with
multiple books also seem to have different outfits. I wonder if the idea is
that more than one Earth is on display right now. So some books look like
they'll be taking place in the current DCU (like most of the Batman books,
Green Lantern, etc.), while others seem to be in a different one. Huh.<<<

I think this is the beginning of Multiversity, Dave...I really do. We'll see, I
guess.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Color Kid of the Subs fell victim to a gender-switching virus at one point, as well. Perhaps this virus has been harnessed as a bio-tech weapon...

I'm guessing the rapist-Proty will turn out to be his Earth-3 counterpart, having a grand time in a contest against Proty's Qwardian Universe self to see which can be the more evil. Both will be obliterated when the outcast Negatty returns from his banishment to the farthest star in our galaxy. When he gets here, he'll tear the wannabe-evil Protys in half, dismember Porcupine Pete, and punch Catspaw's head off.

Catspaw's detached head will roll to the feet of Shrinking Violet who will see it as a sign. Light Lass, Vi's femme gal-pal, will also recognize this as an omen. Both will make excuses, leave, and change into moldering purple robes to emerge as Time Trappers. It will soon be revealed that fully three-quarters of the Legion members are all Time Trappers of one continuum or another. Bouncing Boy isn't, but as he doesn't want to be left out, he will pose as the Time Trapper of the Inflat-O-Verse.

As the recently-concluded 8-issue War of the Protys series proved it a folly to merely battle on the physical plane for superiority, the Trappers will instead vie for supremacy across the 52 worlds in an open-ended epic Event which will be released with a special expanding binder to hold all of the issues of this Special Unlimited Series. These Trapper-Keepers will become the most valuable collectible to be released on the direct-sales market since DC and Ronson Lighter Fluid teamed up to produce the Angelic Supergirl with Real Flaming Wings costume for Halloween in 1994 when all across America, hundreds of little girls in Supergirl suits had to be beaten out, leading to a truly nasty Women In Refrigerators column by Gail Simone.

When asked if the rumor was true that Babs in being given back the use of her legs as part of a deal with God to act as his Angel of Eidetic Memory on Earth, complete with flaming wings, Simone will decline confirmation of the rumor, but insist that it is the way in which the new Angelic Batgirl gains her flaming wings that makes all the difference in this case... And add that the costume giveaway sketches this time look really kinda cool...

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 June 2011 at 7:14pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

All kidding aside, though, Thomas, I do think you're onto something with your Multiversity theory!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

"This momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.

"What is Superman’s startling new status quo? How does it affect his friends, loved ones and his job at The Daily Planet? Find out in SUPERMAN #1

Oh yeah. Because obviously Siegel and Shuster and Coleman and Binder and Finger and Schwartz and Wiesinger and Swan and Boring and Stern and Byrne and Ordway and about a zillion other creators have been WRONG all these years and somebody has to fix THE superhero and show all these new readers who aren't going to "jump on" how it should have been done all along.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

I had HOPE that they would not fuck up Superman....  but what the hell is that shit for Action #1?  I hate judging books by their covers, but c'mon.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

Maybe it's a symbolic cover, Kevin. Like the old Soviet posters showing hard-working Ivan Dragos working contentedly in the wheat fields.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

"War of the Protys"...! LOL!

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'll bet my bottom dollar that the d-bag sites who can't spelunk enough over this reboot are using this Forum's reaction as a perfect indication that DC is on the right track. I have no doubt one of Dan DiDiot's toadies has probably cut&paste entire sections for him to show Geoff Johns, probably tucked discreetly in one of the many Silver Age comics near Johns' computer which he rips off--excuse me, is inspired by.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

" I'm sorry Robot Vampire Duck Lad but I'm afraid your powers are too ordinary for the Legion of Superheroes. Please accept this flying belt as a consolation..we...hope you will not be overcome by the horrific shame that receiving it obviously represents. Please leave now for we have no wish to look anymore upon the lowly face of so pitiful a loser. And don't be afraid to try out again next year! Also, we are now required by law to strongly caution you to never allow yourself to be alone in a room with Proty."

Edited by Emery Calame on 10 June 2011 at 9:56pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've a theory that Morrison's Action Comic is featuring the early adventures of this Superman.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've come to the conclusion that relaunching The Dark Knight with a new #1 when it had a #1 like 5 months ago, with the same artist/writer who did two issues in those five months, is the definition of insanity. 

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version