Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 1  

Giffen's Kirbyesque LSH annual a couple of months back was interesting, though he's doing some odd, lumpy things with faces. Still better than that period when he was swiping Jose Munoz from the Sinner series and Joe's Bar left and right. And center.

For some reason, I think a funny reboot would involve relaunching titles that never made it past, say, 24 issues in any incarnation, along with heroes who never carried their own book, and then billing this as some sort of bold new portmanteau DCU. You know, like Flashpoint, only more obscure.

Thriller! Tailgunner Jo! Slash Maraud! Brother Power the Geek! The Joker! Freedom Fighters...again! Doc Savage...again! The All-New, All-Grim 'Mazing Man! Air-Wave! Golden-Age Air-Wave! Scarlett! Jemm, Son of Saturn! Together, they are Justice League Unsuccessful!

Then to really confuse things, DC could buy up the stable of Golden-Age characters that included Air Boy and The Heap, wedge them into the relaunched All-Star Squadron, and then also launch an entire sub-line of World-War-Two-set Canadian superhero comics based on obscure B&W Canadian superhero characters of WWII like Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, Freelance, The Penguin and Major Domo, a line whose introductory Brian Azzarello-penned six-part miniseries would take 18 months to come out, by which time the line would have been cancelled.

And all the redesigned costumes would have bell-bottoms.

Cheers, Jon

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 2  

Good gods, this reboot is looking more dreadful by the day ... 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 3  

There's typically been announcements every morning pretty early on the new books, nothing official for the Superman books at all this morning. Weird.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 4  

maybe they miscounted and are scrambling to fit everything

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 5  

I don't know exactly what they have in store for Superman, but George Perez' involvement cannot redeem THAT costume. The rumour that Grant Morrison will be writing ACTION COMICS is also giving me the chills. I don't read anything by that man any more.

So my mind is made up; this August I will be jumping off all DC titles.

Thankfully, there's enough goodness at IDW and Dark Horse to satisfy my need for new comics.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Since these books will probably end up selling mostly to people who already buy superhero comics anyway, I don't see the need for the drastic change in Superman's uniform.  Were the trunks really the only thing keeping people away from Superman comic books?  Anyone who was hung up on that isn't going to read superhero comics in the first place, so why wreck an iconic outfit based on the notion that sales will skyrocket if Superman would only wear some solid-color pants?  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

At this point, I'm starting to wonder which ideas DC threw out as too dickriculous...

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Confirmed Grant Morrison and Rags Morales for ACTION COMICS.

I hope this will be the Grant Morrison who wrote All-Star Superman, not the guy who made Batman's life his own sandbox.

Confirmed George Pérez for Superman Vol. III, but as the writer.
The series' artist will be Jesus Merino.

Now, nothing against Jesus Merino. He's a decent artist. He was Carlos Pacheco's inker, but started drawing as a complete artist and he isn't bad.
But this is SUPERMAN ISSUE #1. Was it so hard to give it to a hot name? And Ivan Reis is drawing Aquaman.

Do you remember who DC called to write and draw the then new Superman #1 in 1986?
A comic book King Midas, a big gun, a superstar creator.

Too bad this isn't 1986 anymore.

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Geez, I'm tired of the red eyes.

A tee-shirt, patched blue jeans, work boots, and a cape.  Yeah, that looks MUCH better.

Or maybe it's a towel tied around his neck.  Maybe Superman has decided to look like us looking like him for a change.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

>>At this point, I'm starting to wonder which ideas DC threw out as too dickriculous... <<

apparantly, that would be The JSA.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

Well, after waiting a few days to see the previews trickle out.....I just don't know what to think.

I only buy a couple of DC books now - Hex, LSH, JSA, and BOP. Based on the previews, the Legion looks okay (for now) and I'll stay on board. Same with Hex, same creative team....so we'll see.

I'll be dropping JSA and BOP though....just no interest for me there.

I'm obviously not the target audience....I dunno who is.... but none of this stuff is the least bit interesting.

The costumes are crap - sorry, but Jim Lee is no Carmine Infantino or Gil Kane.

This has to be a stunt, something they can reset, it just doesn't gel as a shared :Universe.
The Superman on the Action cover is completely different looking from the one on the Superman cover.

Are each of these 52 different comics each taking place on one of the 52 different Earths of the 52 different Universes?
Not a shared Universe, but a book by book snapshot of the Multiverse?

That seems even dumber, but would explain all the different character designs from series to series.

Whatever it is, if Hex and the LSH stray too far off course they'll be gone and like Marvel I'll be done with DC for the first time in decades.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm sorry I haven't posted a reply to this thread yet...

But I have been crying for days :'-(

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version