Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Geez...I love Perez' art...but I have my limits!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2  

I’m an ageing life-long comic book reader, who has pretty much dropped all super hero books. I’d love to be able to be able to pick up a comic from DC or Marvel and think I was going to enjoy it and share it with my kid, but it hasn’t happened in a long time.

There is nothing that DC is presenting in their “reboot” that says to me anything will be different from what has been going on lately in their comics. A new #1 issue and costume does not mean it will be a better book. The same monkeys that have been producing books that I can’t get into will be producing the “new” versions. What will change? How long before someone realizes the Superman costume that the whole world recognizes is still the best and changes it back, just like they always do? What is DC doing to draw an old fan back?

Also, what about any of these titles would be attractive to a new fan, old or young? There is nothing that I see that would make someone who is not already reading the books start. I realize #1’s draw some people, but that’s usually a flash in the pan. The DC universe with all it's Batpeople and different Robins and Lanterns still looks too dense and convoluted to enjoy.

I hope the stories in these books are fun, appealing and all-age reads. Otherwise it’s the same old crap.

Back to Top profile | search

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't like either of the new costumes for Superman and Supergirl.  The new one for Superman takes a lot of the bad ideas from movies (armor, lot's of "lines", a high collar, no trunks) and the Supergirl looks very manga to me.

The reboot is feeling more like a jumping off point for me all the time.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 4  

So this is the beginning of the age of 'metal pants' Superman.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Not quite as stupid as this...

...but pretty damn close.  And the above "Spider Armor" was only an issue.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 6  

Hmm... I the discussion is skipping to the books to be officially announced Friday. :-) 

As for todays, another round of books I'm not particularly interested in (and I REALLY don't know about that Blackhawk revival) although once again there seems to be some attempt at diversity, which is a good thing. 

Since tomorrow is the Superman Family most likely, and we still have no Justice Society book, I guess there isn't going to be one?  Bummer.  Still, there are six books left to announce so I guess there's hope.  If not, I'm down to the two Legion books and I probably won't be able to stop myself from trying out Batgirl, which puts me at less than half the number of the books I was getting before.  So I can't really call the reboot a success for me, but then I guess I wasn't in the target audience. :-)

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
The only positive thing I can say about that is that Supergirl may have finally lost her weird torpedo tits and belly shirt look. I wonder how long it will be before she has a 'House of El' super tramp stamp above her tuchus.

A long time if the rumors of DC's new female costume edict are true. Bonus points for using the word tuchus, though, good form.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8  

Re: Superman - at least they got the S right.  But really, the people who make fun of superhero costumes will continue to do so no matter what you change.  Leave the classics alone.

And the answer to concerns that Supergirl is flying around with people able to look up her skirt is to remove the skirt?  Huh. 

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Supergirl wore shorts under her skirt anyway.

Sadly, the only people that generally make fun of super hero costumes are the "fans." To the general public that's just the way super heroes look. I have never heard a "civilian" talk about Superman's underpants. Only oh-so-clever fans.

Edited by Mike Farley on 09 June 2011 at 11:30am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I can't imagine that version of Superman will be canon from hereon. I'm more convinced this is a temporary gimmick looking at that design.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 11  

This Supergirl costume is a huge improvement over what she did wear in the last decade or so.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 12  

Would you wear the Supergirl costume Matt?

Maybe you can take the one she just got ride off since she doesn't use it anymore?

Tempted?

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version