Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

Moyer Hall:  "Is this how Crisis On Infinite Earths felt to fandom back then?"

Don't let the revisionist history fool you.  In the immediate wake of the Crisis it was basically business as usual for most books.  For a glimpse of the other books that month, go here:    http://www.dcindexes.com/timemachine/coverdate.php?year=1986 &month=3 

As far as anyone knew Wonder Woman was dead, and Infinity, Inc. (and the JSA) were getting used to now living on the new merged Earth, but that was about it.  Green Lantern was heading towards a major new direction (7 Earth bound GLs and the Guardians retiring), but nothing that changed pre-existing history.  Batman joined Justice League Detroit. 

I guess you could count the Deadman mini-series that began that month as a reboot of sorts, since Dick Giordano directed Andrew Helfer to start the series right after the end of Neal Adams' original Deadman run (which had just been reprinted as a 7 issue series), which effectively negated every appearance he had made from Brave and the Bold #86 to the mini-series.

For everyone else, they just got back to what they were doing before. 

The reboots that followed were filtered in gradually:  All-Star Squadron consolidated their Golden Age heroes and wiped the "Big Five" five months later, Man of Steel was about 7 months after Crisis #12, Perez Wonder Woman and Batman: Year One the better part of a year after Crisis #12, etc. 

Most involved adjustment to character backgrounds rather than a full-on restart, with Superman, Wonder Woman and Captain Atom being the major exceptions.  (Hawkman's restart came a year or two after things were supposedly stabilized hence the constant complaining about that one.  Also, he'd been given a post-Crisis ongoing which hadn't screwed with his history so I guess he was supposed to have already been done.) 

From what I understand, TPTB at DC were open to more reboots, but the worker bees opted not to.  For example, Mike Gold says he was given the option of restarting Flash with a reworked Barry Allen if he had so desired but he preferred to move forward with Wally.

Edited by Dave Phelps on 08 June 2011 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32682

OK Titans drawn by Booth--this feels more like an Elsewhere story and
a little Macabe looking, but I will get it. (We now have 4 Robins).

Legion of. Super-heroes continues as is and Legion Lost, I'm curious.

Static--probably pass

Hawk and Dove--I loved them when Lefeld drew them 30 years ago;
but now????

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

If only comics, as we used to love them, would come back...

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 08 June 2011 at 8:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

Will there be a "Batwoman: OMG She's a Lesbian!" book? At some point DC will have to come up with more than " rich, jewish, lesbian Batman like character that riffs off the golden age Batwoman (sort of) who dates the new turned-gay Montoya version of the Question  and fights really awful "crime bible subplot" characters off in the background somewhere. Maybe a decent supporting cast could hep with that.

Edited by Emery Calame on 08 June 2011 at 8:48pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

One nice thing about this re-boot thingy is it finally gives me the chance to drop what few comics I'm still buying.

I think I will finally just stop buying monthlies altogether and go with the trades. It's cheaper (via Amazon), easier to store and I have the whole story in one sitting. Except for NEXT MEN, that's the only book I've really been looking forward to in anyway this past couple of years.

As for the re-boots themselves, well all that really matters is if they're good stories or not. If they're good, I'll check them out, if not, well no loss they weren't getting my money anyway. I've seen a few that looked interesting.
Legion looks like not much is changing and I did like the Legion Lost book before, so I think the concept has merit.

I do like the editorial edict to have stories done and ready, hopefully that'll be something that can continue on in the future. I think that people will give these books a chance. I'm not sure what DC will do if it tanks, but I hope that DC is successful, I don't want comics to go away. It may not be my comics anymore, but maybe some young person might give these a try. You never know, crazier things have happened.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

Well, I'm a bit excited about Barbara Gordon back as Batgirl. The
Johns/Lee JLA could be fun. Although, George Perez on Superman is
a must. It only mention him doing issue #1. I hope he will continue the
series after that, but imagine it's probably just the first issue.

I don't understand Mr. Terrific getting his own series. That one just
confuses me. How well do they really think that will sell?

I understand Liefeld on Hawk and Dove. He was a prominent artist on
those characters, and for some reason still has some fan appeal.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Those Teen Titans are...

uh...

mh...

er...

Nice weather, today.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 8  

Wedding them seemed to do little to change the nature of the character, and to my mind, even enriched him a bit more.
The first part of that sentence doesn't quite line up with the second half.

Forgive the lateness of my reply, but yes it does. Look at it this way: Superman's marriage was like an improved formula or recipe, like if Hostess improved the filling for their fruit pies. In the end, it's still a fruit pie, everything essential to that is still in place, only now it's fruitier. Clark is still a mild mannered reporter for a major metropolitan newspaper, Lois is still in need of rescue, only their bond is stronger and more textured. The general notion of a Superman story didn't really change with the wedding.

Spider-Man's marriage was more like New Coke. It looked the same, but the flavor was completely different. Peter had gone from being a lonesome loser plagued with identifiable personal problems, who couldn't translate his successes as Spider-Man to his personal life, to being married to his dream girl, who just happened to be a wealthy super-model. Every attempt to inject the stories with that old Parker luck felt forced, and even his continued association with the Daily Bugle made no sense. The very nature of the stories had changed. Those issues where Peter had to choose between his obligations and Spidey's no longer worked because MJ could step in to help out. 

Edited by Glen Keith on 09 June 2011 at 5:11am

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 9  

This month's Detective Comics is #878. I'll bet you credits to navy beans that the renumbering vanishes in time for DC#900, being absorbed back into the old numbering a la Wonder Woman.

Cheers, Jon

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Jonathan, I bet you're right!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 11  

Emery, your snark aside, yes there will be a Batwoman book.  But, seriously, why do you care if you're not even bothering to read any of the titles?

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's an interesting article reviewing the DC universe from day 1 up to now:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/08/dc-comics-reboot-hi story/

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version