Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1  

The Teen Titans art and costumes are just horrible. What the hell is going on the back of Superboy's back? A taped s-shield whaaa? A barcode s-shield on his arm? Oh yeah, current and kewl costume design there…sheesh. 
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I tend to withhold judgement before I read something but between the Brett Booth art and the concept of Teen Titans, I feel like I'm looking at a bad Image comic.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 3  

The s-shield on the arm is the Brandon Routh version, the one on the back is a different one...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 4  

Wonder Girl is a not only a powerhouse thief, but a belligerent one... oh just awesome. 

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Red Robin looks awful...and we were right, Rob Liefeld was lurking in the shadows!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 6  

KNEW IT!!!!

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 7  

Writen by Sterling Gates, art by guess who. :)

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 8  

I've been hoping for a kick @ss book with one of my favorite characters - Aquaman - and Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis have my hopes high.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 9  

Craig Bogart –

"There was a subtext to the Lois/Clark/Superman triangle that was very, very important to the character that marrying them completely screwed up-- the idea that the pretty girl in class would love the nerdy guy in glasses if she knew who he really was.” 

Wouldn’t her marrying him reinforce the subtext?  And subtext or no, I’d really like to read the stories that triangle fans think of when they talk about how it’s a vital part of the mythos. 

I’ve read a lot of Superman stories, and with the notable exception of the JB period (and even then her attraction to Superman came across as an initial fascination that went away before too long), I’m just not seeing what they are. 

The whole idea that Lois is too blind to realize that Clark is Superman is preposterous given that she figured it out time after time forcing him to go to extravagant lengths to prove to her he isn’t.  (Which I’ll admit Grant Morrison put to good use in All-Star Superman.) 

Saying that Lois should love Clark at all pre-JB is odd simply because the pre-JB Clark Kent was a fictional construct (within the bounds of the series I mean) who behaved the way he did solely to preserve Superman’s secret id.  Falling in love with Superman WAS falling in love with the real man.

The idea that Clark wanted Lois to love him as Clark didn’t make much sense either.  In the Weisinger period, Clark and Superman both seemed to consider Lois an annoyance rather than a potential mate.  In the Schwartz period he dated Lois as Superman (before they split up due to the demands of the job).  The only time he seemed to pursue Lois as Clark (since the 40s anyway) was in that one story where he quit being Superman.

Just not seeing it.  (I still say the only one to really do the “Clark, Lois, Superman” triangle in the way that reflects the legend was John Broome over in Green Lantern.)

“Actually having them get together sucked everything that was emotionally compelling out of their relationship."

Disagree completely.   Her finding out his id is the first time I could ever take them seriously as a couple, potential or otherwise.  Before that, it just seemed like she was part of a (frequently disturbing) game he played, especially during the Weisinger period.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Five more books, and I finally have a couple I can plan on buying (the two Legion ones).  Is it sad that the first thing I find exciting about the whole relaunch is that they don't appear to be screwing with one of the books I was enjoying beforehand?

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 11  

I'll continue to read Levitz's Legion since he will continue to write it.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 12  

<in Indiana Jones voice>  Liefeld..... why did it have to be Liefeld? </in Indiana Jones voice>

DC makes a big to do about making sure they have 3 issues completed by August 31st, and they hire Liefeld.  A guy who had 2 Teen Titans scripts sitting on his desk for months before beginning to draw it, only to have the first part barely come out on time and second part of the story be months late.  There is not a "face/palm" picture big enough to show my reaction to this.

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version