Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 1  

I've always been in favor of streamlined and simple origins.

Who is Supergirl? Superman's cousin.

Who is Batgirl? Commissioner Gordon's daughter.

Who is Robin? Bruce Wayne's ward.

Now, people can argue whether there should be a Supergirl, Batgirl, or Robin but my issue was that the originals were eliminated and then it was determined that you had to have these characters, so you got replacements with convoluted origins. Supergirl was, for a while, the protoplasmic artificial lifeform created in a pocket universe who was then merged with a living girl and so on. Batgirl was the daughter of a trained assassin and so on. And who knows with Robin, there's been so many of them.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 2  

Looks like DC is getting serious, or trying to at least, in making sure deadlnies are kept:  LINK.  3 issues done by August 31st?  How long before many creators are crying about keeping a deadline?
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
so you got replacements with convoluted origins.

To me, Batgirl has a Batgirl costume, gadgets and she solves crimes. I'll never understand why the how they came to be matters.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 4  

Looks like DC is getting serious, or trying to at least, in making sure deadlnies are kept

Doesn't that go directly against what Didio told a fellow board member at a con within the last couple of years?

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5  

The mystery is the central point in these new titles from DC:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 6  

What is really bothering me is the god-awful costume redesigns. Trying to take your core characters back to their core concepts and most recognizable status, but then totally over-thinking their costumes or throwing away what makes them iconic and the most recognizable just boggles my mind. It's like Bryan Hitch threw up all over them. 

So when the deadline's not being kept, can the artist at the very least claim it was because he was going nuts trying to keep track of the piping and stitching details and the interior crotch wedges on Batgirls costume?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 7  

</g> What are the odds that one of the plots in the DC universe will be someone trying to understand what happened to the rebooted plots?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ed: "DC repeatedly let creators take characters off the rail, kill off old ones to replace with new, sometimes PC namesakes, all the while fracturing their audience AND their brands."

I think trying to "fix" old characters leads to more convolution than simply introducing new characters in familiar roles. 

(And it's really bizarre having this debate with the DC characters given that the ones held up as the "real versions" in most cases aren't even the originals!  (See Batgirl, Hawkman, Flash, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle, etc., etc.)) 

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think there is only one way to "properly" do a reboot - say, "this is our universe.  these are the characters.  this is their history.  and we're not going to try and reconcile it with any other history."

In order to work, though, editorial has to say "no" to Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, or anyone else to wants to try and "explain" the new universe by having it reconciled with the old one(s).  This new universe has to be "it," and the only "it," moving forward.  Sure, there can be other worlds, but they can't be explained as being the "old" universe.

Also, the books have to be on time.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder why Barbara Gordon couldn't be Oracle AND Batgirl? Wouldn't being in a wheelchair be the best possible secret identity for Batgirl?

You could even do the Barbara as a teenager catching a bullet, she becomes Oracle while at the same time recovering from the bullet, but not letting anyone know, and training herself to become Batgirl.

Being shot by the Joker or whatever would certainly create the drive to establish both crime-fighting personaes.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

Doesn't that go directly against what Didio told a fellow board member at a con within the last couple of years?

I was that member, and he called me "naive" for thinking that editors should make creators stay on schedule.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Okay Abnett and Lanning back on Ressurection Man is something that has me really excited and will get me back into a LCS monthly.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version