Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Maybe Perez on Superman will keep me on.  Otherwise, no.  Otherwise, from titles I previously followed, with the relaunch:

• Birds of Prey - definitely gone - almost all of the characters I liked in the book are gone - so am I.
  • Superman - see above
  • JLA - Gone
  • Doom Patrol - even if it's ressurrected, Gone.
  • Adventure Comics & LSH - not yet announced.  If they keep Paul L writing the team, I'll stick with it.
  • Flash - on the fence.
  • Green Arrow - gone.
  • Teen Titans - not yet announced, but likely gone.
  • Supergirl - haven't heard, but likely gone. Whatever reboot they're doing to Superman would have to affect her as well, and there have been so many reboots to her, I just don't care anymore.
  • JSA - let's see what they do. 
  • Power Girl - If there's yet another reboot, I'm gone.  I was mostly attracted to the book because of Amanda Conner anyway.

I stopped following Green Lantern and never got into any spin-offs, so no problem there.  Same with Batman.

Based on this and what I've heard so far, I'd say I'm more likely jumping off than jumping on.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Kevin Brown wrote:
I just think it would be an interesting take on the character then.  Instead of Batman being just a pissed off guy in a bat-suit, he has a legacy to live up to now.

If that's your take away from 70 years of Batman, then that's sad.  "Just a pissed off guy in a bat-suit".  Seriously? 

As to your spoiler above, that doesn't sound like Batman at all.  Not any one I've read and certainly not anyone I'd want representing the character in the mainstream books.  Maybe an Elseworlds, but if DC is going that direction?  Holy crap am I glad I don't buy 'em any more. Just terrible.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Worst news for me is Gail Simone off Secret Six (if that's true).

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Way early in this thread I was somewhat enthused for the relaunch idea because I could hardly see myself reading fewer DC titles than the two or three I look in on now. Surely with 52 books at least a half dozen would get my attention!

But the more announcements I see, the more my enthusiasm is waning. It feels very same 'ol same 'ol, with middling creative teams and uninspiring (and sometimes outright weird) directions.

Perez on Superman I'll absolutely try. Winick on Catwoman has potential. The Firestorm book sounds interesting in concept, but I'm not really a Simone fan, so I have my doubts it'll "take." Same deal on Azzarello's Wonder Woman series.

So far those are my only potentials, and several are fairly iffy. And the vast majority of creators I'm seeing elsewhere are middling creators. Of course I HOPE they'll rise to the occasion, and yet...confidence...eroding...

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

Covers like this:

Are sure to draw new readers! 

yes, thats actually DETECTIVE COMICS #1 (which just sounds wrong btw)

Edited by Jason Larouse on 06 June 2011 at 2:39pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

Apparently Wayne's Batdryer lacks wrinkle-guard technology.

Sean Blythe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Pre day-and-date downloads, the news that Perez may be be writing and
drawing Superman would have interested me enough to think about
dropping by my LCS (a rare occurrence). Maybe. If I'd remembered when I
was in the area, and assuming the LCS wasn't sold out.

Knowing that it's a click away on the day it drops basically guarantees I'll
take a look. Even if I forget the ship date, I'll get an email reminding me and
it'll be an easy impulse buy. Which is, in essence, how it worked for me back
in the spinner rack days.

I really think that, a year from now, we're going to look back on day and date
downloads and think, "Why did they wait so long to do this?"

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've been pretty enthusiastic about the reboot/launch, but there are signs that trouble me.  I don't get the impression that the editorial side of the reboot/launch will have the right controls to make it work.  Most of the titles I've seen look like a nice, alternative, version of the books which would have made a decent prestige format special in 1989 or so, but can't sustain a book today.  One of the bigger mistakes I've seen in the industry is that most books today just look too dense and too artistic to work as monthly books.  Yet, editorial for DC and Marvel shy away from really solid comics like John's Doom Patrol and Demon - books that had nice supporting casts, good brisk stories, but didn't get bogged down with overt angst.

In order to make this work, editorial has make the books accessible, consistent, and breezy, with the angst ridden stories (or dark stories) left for special occasions.  Also, there needs to be some consistency in the books, where supporting casts, costumes, and tone don't change each time a new creative team takes over.

I'm becoming more and more pessimistic the more I see.  I'm not crazy about the "casting" for some of these books.  Perez on Superman?  Great!  Chang on Wonder Woman?  Doesn't work.  Lopresti on JLI?  I can see it - he has a nice, clean line.  But Tan on Hawkman?  Not for a monthly book.

Also, I'm really worried that these creators can't keep up a schedule.  I like Jim Lee, but can he really deliver a monthly book.  David Finch got two issues of his Batman book out and it's being relaunched.  I hope there are some assurances that the books will be out on time.

I really think this is more a test for DC management, not the creators, to put the genie back in the bottle.   I think it's funny that both DC and Marvel tout some creators as "superstar" writers or artists when the only one who has really moved the sales needle in the past few years has been Jim Lee.  I've seen JH Williams touted as a "superstar" artist.  Really?  Based on what?

Well, enough ranting.  I really hope this works.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm interested in several of these books, and will give them a try, but I'm hoping for some "sustainability" like you mention, Derek. It's all nice to look at the pretty art now, but how will things be going by issue 6, 7, 8? Will Jim Lee still be there? 

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Nightwing back--I like.

Red Robin and the Outsiders--Jason??? Tim??? So, we may still have the same number of Robins.

Looks like Batman Inc will be back. (Edited--wait they're calling the new batman from Africa...BATWING? too close)

Batgirl--both disappointed but a little interested since Gail Simone is writing. But they will also have Batwoman. Unless they are returning Barb to teenage age, an adult Batwoman dimishes an adult Batgirl.

Edited by Kip Lewis on 06 June 2011 at 3:56pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Batgirl Triumphant: The Price of Restoring DC Comics' Disabled Heroine

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/06/batgirl-barbara-gor don-disabled/

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Are we going to have stand alone issues or the boring to death six or four part stories?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version