Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

Blechh
Back to Top profile | search

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Blechh

I made a joke elsewhere that without the red shorts on the outside, DC will have to permanently shadow Superman's crotch from here on out.

Maybe they can make it a super power - shine a light on it and evil-doers cower in fear!

Plus why does he need a belt in a one-piece spandex suit?  And wont' the collar stick up through Clark's button-ups? 

Guess he'll have to wear turtle necks from here-on out.

Edited by Kirk Campbell on 03 June 2011 at 11:20pm

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

That Superman costume needs to look like it's made of basketball material. Where are the silver slippers? How come there isn't a random red line going down each leg? Where is the funny pattern of speed skating suit lines all over it? Plus, they didn't even have the decency to leave off the S-Shield so I could say "There's no S-Shield on that costume!" and shake my fist at my monitor. 

I officially don't care that Captain America doesn't look like Captain America in the movie, or that Spider-Man doesn't look like Spider-Man in his new movie, or that Havok is a founding X-man in the 1960s while his brother was a member in the 21st Century. If THIS is that the COMICS are doing to the characters... It's tough to get mad at Hollywood from this point on for following suit. If DC and Marvel don't care... why should anyone else?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 4  

That picture looks like a modified pic of the double splash that already appeared in Superman 204 (the first issue of this Superman run a few years back)

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 5  

Oh Ick. 

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Brian Hague:

QUOTE:

It would be wise for editors, writers, everyone to treat this as blank slate. The Rainbow Corps are apparently still around (Johns is spearheading this, so of course the Rainbow Corps is still around...) but the comics featuring them should start from here, provide enough exposition to explain who they are, why they're in the space patrol business, and go no further than that. If they fall into the trap of referencing the Sinestro Wars and Blackest Night, predicating future stories on those specific events, "new" readers, the ones this relaunch is designed to attract, will be hopelessly lost. Unless DC includes special "Sinestro War" download packs for them to access, they will have no way of navigating these weirdo "comicbook" thingies they're looking at.

Brian, I totally agree with you.

If this is a relaunch, ok, be it a relaunch. With real new starting point, new directions, accessible stories.

I have followed this Green Lantern series since #1 and I ahve good memories of this. I enjoyed the early issues, Sinestro Corps, Secret origin, the road to BN... with Blackest night the series started being a bit uninteresting to me, and with the New Guardians storyline I was completely bored.

Johns told everything he could, then it was over, alright, having followed the title for years I wanted to wait the end of his run to quit with a finale, hoping it could be good.

And now? Now I learn Johns will continue writing GL, despite having no ideas anymore, and that it will probably be a sequel to his first run.

Sorry, but I'm out of this. I can't really see this as a real relaunch. I'm afraid to see references to every previous storyline and the usual "road to" Johns story, where the story itself is merely a prologue to the EVENT.

No, thanks.

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
That picture looks like a modified pic of the double splash that already appeared in Superman 204 (the first issue of this Superman run a few years back)

That's because it is:

Superman 204 splash page

In any case, except for the boots, it appears to be reasonably accurate depiction of the new costume, so the complaining may continue unabated.

Edited by Agapito Qhelas on 04 June 2011 at 3:55am

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 8  

..."jumping on point" (I realy HATE that term)..
--

And they sure love using that phrase, even though there used to be a time when EVERY issue was a jumping on point!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Very true Peter. They just can't seem to understand anymore that you can have continuity and history and STILL have every issue be a person's first. I was 8 when I really got interested in comics (mostly Marvel at the time) and I was able to understand EVERY issue I bought without forced jumping on points. There were all sorts of intriguing references to the past and to other stories, and they made me want to try other titles and read stories from the past, but they never made me feel like I had to learn that past information. It's really a very simple formula, but these current people in charge just can't seem to wrap their heads around it. Maybe they need to stop trying to modernize and "improve" everything and go back and read some of the old material from when it was done right. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 10  

Comics aren't doing anything different than prime time tv and
cartoons. We complain that comics don't have any easy jumping on
points, but many of the popular cartoons over the past two decades.
And I am not sure many manga books do either, esp those aimed at
teens.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11  

The changes in the Superman costume may be due to the ongoing
legal battle the character has been in. Last I heard was that the judge
may award both parties parts of the character. Anything that existed
when the character debut would go to the Shuster estate, and
anything that has changed since then, would belong to DC.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2011 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, but that would mean no red cape. This still looks like Superman.
Anyone sees it, will know it is superman. Remove the cape and that
might not be true.

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version