Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

Matt - if you've been fooled twice, you have no one to blame for it.

I'm not sure what you mean about seeing that the Emperor has no clothes.  I buy the books I like and am excited about.  When I don't like a book, I quit buying it.  Sometimes, it takes a couple of months to realize that I haven't been enjoying the book all that much.  But once that realization sets in, I quit the book.  If you've found that the Emperor is naked, that may be a sign for you to walk away.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

I dunno Matt. It seems like the die-hard are the most pessimistic. Or perhaps we are defining die-hard differently.  But I haven't bought a serialized title in years. I have been interested and picked up trades here and there, but I haven't been brought into a store.  Of course I should not be the target audience. I believe they should be going after teh high school kids. They need those with disposable income and cars. It was at that age I was die hard. But, by the time I was 30, I pretty much moved on. I get some here and there. So I don't think I am die hard. I define die-hard closer to the fanatic roots. I guess I define die hard as those that care. Emery, up above, states that he doesn't buy anything, but he makes it pretty clear that he cares. I would consider him to be more die hard than me as I am defining it. By the way, good for those that do care. They should ask more out of those things they love.

Now, I don't care. I think this is just another story...like FlashPoint, like Black Lantern, like Heroes Reborn, like Inferno, and so on. Ramifications may stick, they may not. I don't really care.  I am optimistic that they will be fun. I guess I am die hard when it comes to fun popcorn stories. I love 'em. Give me the impossible and improbable. Give me huge amounts of pathos. Give me drama. Give me action. Give me something escapist. And this new thing on the DC books, it looks like they are trying to give all of those things. Cool, I say.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thom - I used the AED/heart attack comparison because even though there has been a proliferation in availability of AED machines, the dirty little secret is that they seldom work.  They have to be used within 5 minutes (5% success rate only after 5 minutes) and still don't have great results (better than not using them, but still . . . )

By comparison, while I am excited about the reboot/relaunch, I'm not sure it will bring new readers and really "work."  In fact, I've posed this question to the board and haven't really gotten much of a response.  What do we define as a success for this program?

At the very least, I think that readership will hold steady, but I don't get the impression that holding steady is what DC is after.  What does everyone else think?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think by issue three there will be a growing panic in the shops and reduced orders for issue four will cause serious doubts about the whole thing.

And the comics industry isn't suffering from anything sudden like a heart attack. 

It's more like it succumbed to paranoid delusions and that resulted in it becoming a shut-in who only eats one thing, doesn't sleep enough, and is slowly being wrecked by malnutrition, bad hygiene, parasites, and chronic exhaustion but is afraid to go outside or seek help. And the two people who do still visit take advantage of it, confuse it, and regularly encourage its delusions because they need a cheap place to stay. Now the comics industry is going to redecorate the place in styrofoam and grease-spotted  newspapers and one of the two free loaders is thinking of moving out because of it because it's more than even HE can stand.. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 June 2011 at 4:30pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

Brian Joseph Mayer wrote:
I dunno Matt. It seems like the die-hard are the most pessimistic. Or perhaps we are defining die-hard differently.

Evidently.  I define a die-hard mainstream comic book fan as the one that doesn't drop a title no matter what.  They stick through everything; bad art, bad writing, mischaracterized portrayals of their favorite characters, mini and maxi series events.  All of it.  They're the people that come on forums to say that they haven't really been all that excited about comics...but haven't stopped buying them in 20 years because they don't want their run interrupted "just in case it gets good again".  They're the ones that are looking optimistically at this umpteenth reboot/retooling as though they've never experienced the last one or conveniently forgotten that none of the previous reboots/retooling have done jack all to making mainstream comics fun and compelling for all-ages. 

Those are the die-hard fans I'm talking about, not people who, like me, love the character of Spider-Man but have given up buying anything new starring him in years. 

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

After looking at all the promos, it looks like DC (mostly) and Marvel (a little) are stylistically rebooting to 1995 artwise. idk It seems the past few months comic artwork's gone down in quality all around compared to last few years.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was feeling slightly optimistic about this reboot, but then Greg Woronchak reminded me of Heroes Reborn ... ugh. Reboots can never be better than the talent involved.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

Derek S. Wilczynski wrote:
If you've found that the Emperor is naked, that may be a sign for you to walk away.

From new mainstream superhero comics produced by Marvel and DC?  Already have.  My eyes were opened a number of years ago.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about the reboot. My initial thought
is, "Why reboot, just start writing good stories." however the question
becomes, "How do you let people know you're writing good stories?"
Of course a reboot doesn't mean good stories just different.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

just different

Judging from the previews of the Green Lantern titles, not even that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

By comparison, while I am excited about the reboot/relaunch, I'm not sure it will bring new readers and really "work."  In fact, I've posed this question to the board and haven't really gotten much of a response.  What do we define as a success for this program?

At the very least, I think that readership will hold steady, but I don't get the impression that holding steady is what DC is after.  What does everyone else think?

I just don't see how the reboot can work when it's not a reboot, but more like a DC Comics cut out in the shape of Geoff Johns.

I mean, no one at DC or Marvel will honest answer the question: WHO are these "new" readers they are trying to pull in? Are they teenagers of today? Are they kids? Can't be kids. Are they working 9-5ers raising children on limited budgets and can't afford to splurge on comic books? Are these "new" readers born yet?

I can't figure it out. I can't identify who superhero comics are being produced for right now, much less some undefined group of readers yet found.

I keep getting the sneaking suspicion that everything DC and Marvel does is designed to propagate the notion that there are "new" horizons to be discovered in superhero comics. Which is a fallacy. Superhero comics are a formula unto themselves.

They are, or should be, a simplistic speculation on what would happen if you, anyone in the world, was for instance invulnerable and could fly. They are a strict display of good vs evil that anyone can understand, as superheroes are already very broad archetypes to begin with. There isn't a lot of complication to the greatest superheroes because, well, the best superheroes are not complicated. They are exactly what they seem to be. That's their true power.

Anyway, I don't know what DC is seeking as a measure of success. I will consider the so-called reboot a success if artists like Cliff Chiang and Ryan Sook become household names. If by some miracle the artistic merit of DC Comics was to become better by becoming less, less complicated and more streamlined and more timeless as it once was, I think DC's creative output might become at least somewhat original for the first time in forever. Better artists who can stay on a book for a long period of time, and make an impact in that time, might mean more control for those artists. And if those artists simply become more successful and move on to other, lesser companies to become stars, at least we can benefit by having already discovered the next Darwyn Cooke or Eric Powell.

Edited by Chad Carter on 03 June 2011 at 6:28pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd love to read new, well-crafted stories featuring Spider-Man, the Fantastic
Four, Captain Marvel, and my other old friends, but when I realized Marvel
and DC weren't interested in publishing those sorts of books any more, it
wasn't difficult to stop spending my money on their stuff. I'm much more
interested in what Darkhorse, IDW, Image and others are producing than the
Big Two's latest gimmick.
Back to Top profile | search | www