Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

This is DC´s HEROES REBORN, make no mistake.

Well, doesn't DC still have a pocket universe lying around? <g>

Edited by Greg Woronchak on 03 June 2011 at 1:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

Why not complain Derek? 

What's your problem with me complaining and why should I care if you have one or not?  I don't much worry about whether you think that's okay or reasonable. Your permission or approval is not required. I complain because it looks like shit. It looks like the same shit I quit reading while DC is hyping it as some brave new wonderful thing. I like super hero comics and these characters. I do not like what has been done to them endlessly by hacks, vandals, wanna be performance artists, and crazed fans turned auteur. When I see things that I don't like, even second hand from comic book news sites and forums, and I see them being discussed then I sometimes complain about them. 

If I buy the comics then I shouldn't complain because I'm part of the problem. If I don't then I shouldn't complain because I don't buy them anymore. It seems to me that either way your solution is  "don't complain". That's kind of an obviously shaved knuckle if you ask me.

Why should I STOP complaining Derek? Why should anybody?

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 June 2011 at 1:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thing is, if it's not aimed at existing readers, how is it aimed at bringing in new readers? That actually takes marketing. All the talk here and comic message boards doesn't bring in NEW readers because they wouldn't be frequenting the boards if they weren't already buying comics. It's like thinking all you need to do to bring in minorities and girls reading comics is to produce comics featuring them. Ok, that handles the product side of the problem but not the simple fact that people don't know the comics are available, where to get them and the competition for the entertainment dollar.

The digital release from what I've been seeing is a bigger deal overseas where people have to wait to get the comics and pay more for them, so there might be an increase in readership there, at the expense of the stores. But, the price point here isn't really significant enough to make that big of a dent in readership. Except once several weeks has passed. Might get existing readers to buy a few more comics digitally instead of print and hurt overseas retail stores, but that's about it. Digital can bring new readers by potentially offering the availability that the non-Direct Market had, but it needs different strategy than using the same one as for print.

The biggest hurdles to new readers buying comics IS NOT the continuity unless you happen to make ever story be about the continuity. There's the brand fracturing, instead of one or two really good Green Lantern books, there's a  half dozen. There's a Superman that doesn't look like Superman, a Wonder Woman that doesn't look like Wonder Woman. I go into a Target, I see material marketed towards kids, using artwork from 30 years ago. Because that's when the characters last looked iconic. Every step since then has been to move away from, instead towards instant brand recognition. Out of all the re-designs, only one is geared towards moving the character back to a more classic iconic look: Aquaman. Another hurdle against new readers: events and massive crossovers that suddenly hi-jack ongoing storylines or require you who's reading Birds of Prey, must now get all the Batman books for one month for a story to make sense. Ongoing stories that don't deliver a satisfying month to month read yet exorbitant monthly price per issue. Digital is going to have the same problem print has, people are going to wait to read the whole story... especially since older issues are cheaper than the newer ones. Lastly, there is still no push for an all-ages content, superhero comics that could be read by a 12 year old that doesn't read like it was written BY a 12 year old.

So, despite all the talk of changes, what is not changing is what really needs to, the way the comics are being produced, the way and to whom they are being marketed towards. And, ways to make them affordable in a time that people's money is being more and more squeezed.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ed, I think you are right on the money.  Comics are too expensive, not available to kids, and not accessible for the kids who do manage to find them.  When I was a kid, I could get three comics for $1.50.  Now, its $9-$12 for the same three comics.  That's just too much money, let alone the fact that kids can't follow what is going on in the books.

It seems that the hobby has turned into one which is populated by 60,000 hard core fans ranging in age from 25-50, almost all of whom think they can do it better than the people putting out the books but buy them nonetheless.  Like I said above, the patient is dead, we just haven't pronounced him dead yet.

(And, despite this, I still am excited about the reboot/launch.)
Back to Top profile | search

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

Emery - feel free to complain all you want.  I just don't get it.  If you really quit reading comics in 2008, and think DC's new approach looks like shit, then just walk away. The hobby may not be for you anymore.  This hobby sometimes deserves the stereotypes used to describe it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN

Wake me when the next company wide reboot/retooling/mega-crossover actually makes mainstream comics fun to read again for both kids and adults instead of masturbatory exercises to see how many of the five fans left stick around to see the jerk-off.

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Will do, Matt.  Do you like coffee or tea when you wake?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Derek, I don't much care if you get it. I have walked away. Walking away does not mean giving up all rights to complain. This hobby is not for me any more. That's why I don't buy comics. But there is no reason for me not to complain about news of even more stupid shit on the way.

Tell you what, Derek, if you don't want to see me complain and it befuddles you, then put me on ignore, because I AM going to complain whether you get it or not. I am not complaining contingent to your personal happiness. After all you plan to actually keep buying this crap, look forward to it, and seem inclined to defend it against both those who do buy it and those who don't. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 June 2011 at 2:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Emery - feel free to complain.  It's your right.  

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think the relaunch/reboot is like using an AED machine on a heart attack patient.

I think it's more like asking a heart attack patient to eat some fried chicken.  This "reboot" looks like the same crap that's been done for the last two decades that have caused the comic book industry to reach its current state.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

As, I'm not currently buying any DC comics, this could get me to buy one: Aquaman. He's an old favorite character and with a used-to-be decent writer and back to a classic look, though I've mocked the artist for inconsistently drawing the gloves. Although, everything I've seen with him lately is him carrying the trident. Is he going to be like Bucky now, constantly wielding and using a weapon?

I'd like to try Green Arrow, but it's the same writer currently writing and nothing about the current run has interested me into picking it up. And, the costume redesign looks like it was farmed out to Liefeld instead of Jim Lee. The other redesigns look even worse and with some, chucking almost everything of the original characters out the window.

Edited by Ed Love on 03 June 2011 at 2:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

It all goes back to the old saying...

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

By now that number has increased by a factor of 1,000.  Some of you are may eventually see that the Emperor has no clothes, but I suspect the die-hard among you will continue an overly optimistic stance despite all evidence against it. 

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version