Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 1  

This is my jumping off point for DC. My monthly comics purchases will probably be about 5 issues for me & 5 for my kids.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I look at this as a great opportunity for DC to get rid of duplicate characters where they're not needed

How long do you actually think this will last, though?  I'd put money on  characters that are "eliminated" during this stunt will start inching their way back into the "new" continuity within 12 months, tops.

I have less than zero interest in this marketing stunt; I fell for this malarkey once already, with CRISIS (and in my defense, I was 10 years old).  I'm not getting suckered again. 

If I thought there was a chance that this reboot would result in these characters being brought back to their roots, in stories that are not convoluted, incestuous and event based, as well as books that are published on a consistent basis, I might view this as a jumping on point.  As is, this looks like the same crap that's been published for the last 15 years or so, with a new bow on it.  No thanks.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 3  

...get rid of duplicate characters.

...leaving DC with what...eight or nine superheroes?

Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 4  

Just checked that Green Lantern link--why all the fuss? Sounds like more of what we've gotten from DC for years--a glut of titles featuring franchise characters. I'm not sure how you simplify by re introducing four GLs from earth.

Edited by Don Zomberg on 03 June 2011 at 9:32am

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5  

The info about the new #1´s for Green Lantern...seem s like they are saving what is really selling.

B. Morningway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Is it just me, or do these DC redesigns look a little bit too much like the old Image characters?

Also, that You tube link of Hitler talking about the reboot was brilliant!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 7  

that You tube link of Hitler talking about the reboot was brilliant!

Amusing, but not nearly as hilarious as when Hitler got himself banned from the JBF.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 8  

"Last nail/coffin.  "

This has been said dozens of times over the last decade. Yet, for mosto f its run before being buoght up by Disney, Marvel's publishing arm was seing marked increases quarter and again for doing these same things.

I'm hesitant to buy into last nail hype by the disenfranchised. I agree this is nothing like the comics I read as a teen, yet I have been this interested in a line since I was a teen either.

I am going to lean towards hopefully optimistic in regard to this news.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

these DC redesigns look a little bit too much like the old Image characters
+++++

This is DC´s HEROES REBORN, make no mistake. Rob Liefeld is probably in the shadows, masterminding the whole thing.

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think everyone is missing the point with this relaunch/reboot.  Currently, DC is selling about 75,000 copies of its top book, with Superman selling around 50,000 copies and Teen Titans selling around 30,000.  These are largely considered, in the "blogosphere" and "podcastingspere" to be relatively healthy books.  But are they?  It doesn't seem like they are healthy.  DC's line (and Marvel's) seem to be not just dying, but dying quickly. 

"Last nail/coffin?"  JB - I think that the last nail was pounded awhile back.  I think the relaunch/reboot is like using an AED machine on a heart attack patient.  The patient is already dead - we just don't know it yet.

Virtually everyone on this board is complaining about the relaunch/reboot in some way.  There have been snarky comments about "dropping books" and "jumping off points," as well as dismissive comments in general about the reboot/relaunch.  I don't really think, though, that the reboot/relaunch is directed toward current readers.  We're going to buy the books, for the most part, and support the industry.  It's what we do.  We're like heroin addicts.  We complain, complain, and complain, some more, but we (the 60,000 fans supporting the industry) keep on buying the comics. 

If this doesn't work (and I'm not sure how the reboot/relaunch will get new readers of the actual, not digital books) DC will simply go back to the status quo.  And we'll keep on buying.  This reminds me of a bit by the comedian Brian Posehn, who was complaining about the "first" Star Wars movie from, what 1998?  He complained about had bad the movie was (with Jar Jar Binks) and how he was afraid that if he went to see the second one, George Lucas would be in the theater ready to rape him.  He swore to the audience that he wouldn't see it.

Then, an audience member said something to the effect of, "Oh yes you will."  To which Posehn responded, in a shrill 15 year old kid way, "You don't know me.  You don't f***ing tell me what to do.  I'm NOT going to see it.  pause pause.  Okay, yet I am."  We're the same way.

(Disclaimer.  I'm actually looking forward to the relaunch/reboot,)

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Meh. Speak for yourself. 

I don't buy this crap anymore. I guess the monkey got too heavy and he fell off my back or something. I stopped buying back around the summer of 2008. The books got too venal and too stupid and too proud of themselves for being so awful. 

And I'm not complaining about a reboot because its a reboot. In theory a reboot is a good move if it's a reboot to something less shitty, more stable, more rigidly quality controlled, and more attractive and suitable to readers of all ages.

I'm complaining about what I've seen of THIS reboot. It looks like just another pointless ill conceived flail/stunt. It's just more of the same "what does THIS button do?" nonsense. Several of the redesigns are awful. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 June 2011 at 1:37pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

Emery, if you stopped buying in 2008, why complain at all?  You're not going to buy the books, so why complain?

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version