Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

For the most part, I think things can be fixed just by writing good
stories.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Isn't going to happen with this generation, unfortunately.  I cannot forsee anything in the future that would truly be a reset button unless the entire editorial and creative staff were packed up and shipped off to Mongolia, and some people completely outside of that massive circle-jerk of Wall Street types and moonlighting Hollywood scriptwriter/producers were brought on board.
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

What were Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis/One Year Later?   I can see a whole new slew of #1s, post-Flashpoint, but I don't see DC rebooting the line. Especially since they spent the last five years resurrecting parts of the Silver Age and the 80s.

Zero Hour did the same thing that CoIE did:  Not much.  Minor changes that were (relatively) soon forgotten.

Infinite Crisis and One Year Later were just story spurts.  Still the current DCU we're reading.

The resurrecting the past, as you call it, won't go away with the reboot.  I think DC is going to attempt to issue in a new "silver age" style reboot to the characters.  Not go so far as to totally replace key characters, but just giving them some fresh looks.  As I said above, complete clean slate.  The stories we get in September on will be a new DCU with "first appearances" for all.

That's MY guess. 

Of course, 4 months from now, everyone here might be pointing and laughing at me....  ;-)

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

You can't reboot everything if you don't reboot Geoff Jones's corner.

Maybe the reboot will be... The GeoffVerse.

Scary, huh?

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

Flashpoint will be the only comic book released on August 31 because it is some kind of weird DC stunt. It's a Tuesday, not a Wednesday.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Flashpoint will be the only comic book released on August 31 because it is some kind of weird DC stunt. It's a Tuesday, not a Wednesday.

Odd.  On my 2011 calendar, it's a Wednesday.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

I am so tired of reboots.  Us pro-continuity guys are disdained for being anal-retentive fanboys, but do you realize re-boots and ret-cons have become so cliche that it would actually be bold and innovative for a company to follow its own damn continuity for more than six months straight?  Ugh.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Kevin: The DCU we currently know will no longer exist after August 31st.

---

Swell.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9  

I am so tired of reboots.  Us pro-continuity guys are disdained for being anal-retentive fanboys, but do you realize re-boots and ret-cons have become so cliche that it would actually be bold and innovative for a company to follow its own damn continuity for more than six months straight?  Ugh.

DC has basically been following this continuity for about 15 years or so.  Some tweaks, some retcons, some additions to the characters' backstory.  Some good, some bad, some I think most would prefer to be forgotten forever.

The only truly major change I can remember going on (I'm not talking a retcon like parallax being a "fear entity") is Superman's origin.  They went from JB's version to Mark Waid's horrendous "Birthright" version back to the silver age version.  The rest of the DCU has remained relatively unchanged since 1986.

Yes, DC has brought characters back like Barry Allen or simplified/streamlined origins like Hawkman or even done some really bad retcon stuff like Identity Crisis.  Not even Zero Hour made long lasting changes other than a more simplified timeline that had been ignored right CoIE.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was 26 years ago.  Zero Hour was 17 years ago.  Things have gotten a bit stagnant in the DCU.  The weight of the continuity is beginning to collapse in on itself.  It's time to reboot, start off fresh, give the creators a chance to open up and tell some stories that they probably could not have told a year ago.  And hopefully we get some damn good stories out of all this.

I know the kneejerk reaction from most is to roll the eyes and say, "here we go again," but I truly think DC is "blowing up everything" here.  Whether it's a good idea or bad, we'll have to wait and see.  But I think it a ballsy move and one that is needed.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 10  

Kevin: The DCU we currently know will no longer exist after August 31st.
---

Nathan Greno: Swell.

-----------

I kind of wish I could get a statue of the (fairly abominable) DC universe I know blowing up. Sounds great. It could be an explosion with Dan Didio flying out of it upside down doing jazz hands with his mouth open in a cornball "yaaah!" sort of expression. 

I'd say that DC mainly needs to reboot their editorial staff and policies. Otherwise rebooting the storyline (again) doesn't accomplish much.

We need people who respect the properties and don't see them as taffy to be pulled and chewed on ad infinitum by any pissy near-hollywood auteur that happens to need a (disposable) place to crash and practice his art until his big TV/movie deal gets made.

Those people need to show that respect by filtering out crappy stunt plots and gratuitous event nonsense and who have the guts and will to prevent wildly off character stuff from being the new normal.

Edited by Emery Calame on 17 May 2011 at 7:34am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm not so much concerned about reboots but I'd like to see much of Identity Crisis undone. Bring back Ralph and Sue. Somehow make it so that she wasn't raped by Doctor Light. That would satisfy me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 12  

. . . and yet, here you all are, talking about it. So, whatever they're up to, they have achieved their goal, right?

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version