Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1  

And no GL power ring, either?  Is he going to be more of an Alan Scott GL in this new Tyler Perry's DC Universe Reborn?  Maybe he has the Starheart instead of a GL battery?

The inker didn't draw the ring.  I won't mention the site, but it posted the pencils by Lee and the ring is there.

Back to Top profile | search

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2  

Why can't Barbara walk, be Batgirl and "Oracle"? If not in name, then certainly still do all the things she can as Oracle.

There's endless story possibilities in having a Batgirl who's ridiculously computer/tech savy and still can go kick some tail!

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 3  

JT you are right, they could combine both, but Oracle is one of the rare
disabled female characters in comics. Losing this makes DC less
diverse.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 4  

DC begins to unveil the new titles:

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 02 June 2011 at 10:21am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 5  

The "textural" details on the new costumes kind of crack me up. This seems to be the element of choice in redesign, the artist often forgetting that these aren't movies. Also they'll be the first thing to go when under a deadline.

But seriously, whats with the lightning bolts on the Flash's mask????? He has one on his chest, gloves and ears already!!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 6  

Okay, I'm out for The Flash, no interest in an Azzarello Wonder Woman, can't see Mr. Terrific lasting a year, Hawkman and Aquaman have me wondering if I should even bother with the third Brightest Day hardcover since those characters will effectively be "dead" in a couple months, no desire for a Captain Atom series, and yet another new Green Arrow #1 which makes it how many times in the last ten years? Four? Yeah, that won't last. 

With the exception of Justice League International, those are passes for me. Plus, JLI might even be a pass since those won't be the same characters that made that dynamic so great. Hell, why even have those characters together unless it's for nostalgia - for them and us? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 7  

Craig Robinson wrote:
While numbers like that may seem astronomical by today's sales standards, I'd wager (cause I can't find their actual sales numbers online) that even the worst grocery checkout aisle tabloid did stronger sales.

Maybe. So what? There's no magical artist out there whose work is so universal or beloved it's a panacea for comic sales. Within the existing readership Jim Lee is about as popular as it gets, though, and as to expanding those numbers, that's the intent of the accompanying day-and-date digital initiative. It's not as if "bring in Jim Lee!" is the sole defining element of DC's entire plan.

It should also be noted that Jim Lee was the major designer for the DC online game. I don't know its subscriber numbers off the top of my head, but I assume there are many tens of thousands who aren't regular comic readers.

He's a strong option to kickstart the new line.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 8  

I just read through that list of the 11-12 first announced writer/artist line-ups and the "pitch" for each  and the only title that was even "ho-hum" on my interest meter was JLI by Jurgens and Lopresti. Possibly Green Arrow, but I'll need to know more.

Not that these aren't talented people, but I just don't see it. I hear Giffen's going to be on Omac, and if Didio doesn't screw it up too badly that might be worth a look.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 9  

The point is, this 'reboot' is generating alot of talk and speculation, which I'm sure DC is pleased about. They're guessing that the vocal whiners will probably still buy issues to keep up their collections
Only Jim Lee's book.

The only thing I like about this news is there'll be only one Batman and there seems to be no indication that a Robin exists. If Robin does eventually appear, I hope it's Dick Grayson.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 10  

Why don't you think Robin will be there, Sam?

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 11  

@ Tim F: I wasn't knocking Jim Lee, I was knocking direct market distribution.  Imagine what the sales would have been like had Batman comics been as widely accessable as the National Enquirer.

I like Jim Lee a lot (he's the reason why I thought I liked Jeph Loeb - on HUSH, ironically).  But he isn't enough to get my support on this relaunch.

Interestlingly enough, there's no title on this partial reveal that I would pick up, even without the relaunch.  My decision to cancel has gone from thoughtful to no-brainer.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Ok, we should start a pool of how long each announced series will run until cancellation (my apologies for being negative).

Ugh, and I thought DC actually knew what they were doing, when will I learn?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version